So I have a long layover (5.30am-10.30pm) in Frankfurt Airport on a Monday and thought that I would see some old German sights instead of heading into Frankfurt itself. I did some research, and it seems like it is possible to do a day trip out to Marksburg and Rheinfels, including a K-D Rhine cruise in between and a few stops along the way to walk around the German towns. However there is so much information, and since there are a lot of experts here I thought I'd ask you guys for help on firming up my itinerary.
Currently my plan is as follows:
- Buy a R-P day pass, as well as a RMV ticket to Bingen. From Frankfurt Regionalbahnhof, take the S-8 or RE-80 train to Mainz Hauptbahnhof to drop off my luggage at the station, then get on the R80 to Bingen am Rhine Stadtbahnhof (same RMV ticket).
- Take the 9.30AM (or 10.30AM) K-D cruise to St Goarhausen.
- Get off at St Goarhausen, take the train to Braubach Bahnhof (R-P day pass).
- Walk up to Marksburg (or find the Marksburg express) to take the 1PM English tour.
- Once done with Marksburg, get back down. Braubach Bahnhof to St Goarhausen by train, ferry across to St Goar (R-P day pass).
- See Rhinefels
- Catch a train into Mainz, then spend some time walking around Mainz until it's time to head back to the airport. Pick up bags, get a RMV ticket back to the airport.
I have a few questions about this itinerary:
1) For the K-D ferry: I have heard that a lot of tour groups get on at Rudesheim, meaning the ferry will be crowded by Bingen. Is this true? Should I go to Rudesheim instead of Bingen to board the ferry?
2) Are there any stops along the way that would be worth a visit? It seems like Mainz is a charming town to walk around. I have heard that Bacharach is nice (albeit much smaller) too. Are there any other towns along this route that would provide better views, interesting attractions, or anything else worth visiting?
Any suggestions and improvements to my itinerary are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 2 dinner jackets
- 3 Should I book my own guide for the Lourve and Versaille?
- 4 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 5 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 6 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 7 Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!
- 8 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 9 mountain views near London
- 10 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 11 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 12 Italy in 11 Days
- 13 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 14 ALICANTE - 1 Day Excursions
- 15 Portugal by Train or Car?
- 16 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 17 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 18 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 19 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 20 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 21 To Paris Beauvais? Thursday the 27th am?
- 22 Saas Fee Cycling (and bike Rental)
- 23 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 24 Things to do in Montpellier
- 25 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
Marksburg, K-D cruise, Rheinfels, Mainz - help with details?