So I have a long layover (5.30am-10.30pm) in Frankfurt Airport on a Monday and thought that I would see some old German sights instead of heading into Frankfurt itself. I did some research, and it seems like it is possible to do a day trip out to Marksburg and Rheinfels, including a K-D Rhine cruise in between and a few stops along the way to walk around the German towns. However there is so much information, and since there are a lot of experts here I thought I'd ask you guys for help on firming up my itinerary.
Currently my plan is as follows:
- Buy a R-P day pass, as well as a RMV ticket to Bingen. From Frankfurt Regionalbahnhof, take the S-8 or RE-80 train to Mainz Hauptbahnhof to drop off my luggage at the station, then get on the R80 to Bingen am Rhine Stadtbahnhof (same RMV ticket).
- Take the 9.30AM (or 10.30AM) K-D cruise to St Goarhausen.
- Get off at St Goarhausen, take the train to Braubach Bahnhof (R-P day pass).
- Walk up to Marksburg (or find the Marksburg express) to take the 1PM English tour.
- Once done with Marksburg, get back down. Braubach Bahnhof to St Goarhausen by train, ferry across to St Goar (R-P day pass).
- See Rhinefels
- Catch a train into Mainz, then spend some time walking around Mainz until it's time to head back to the airport. Pick up bags, get a RMV ticket back to the airport.
I have a few questions about this itinerary:
1) For the K-D ferry: I have heard that a lot of tour groups get on at Rudesheim, meaning the ferry will be crowded by Bingen. Is this true? Should I go to Rudesheim instead of Bingen to board the ferry?
2) Are there any stops along the way that would be worth a visit? It seems like Mainz is a charming town to walk around. I have heard that Bacharach is nice (albeit much smaller) too. Are there any other towns along this route that would provide better views, interesting attractions, or anything else worth visiting?
Any suggestions and improvements to my itinerary are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 https://www.garciniacambogialean.com/pure-male-power
- 2 Europe First Timers
- 3 Berlin
- 4 Uber vs. TfL
- 5 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 6 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 7 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 8 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 9 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 10 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 11 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 12 Athens Help
- 13 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow
- 14 Berlin -clubs
- 15 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 16 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 17 base in brussels
- 18 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 19 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 20 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 21 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 22 Brussels Hotel Recommendation
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 25 Trains in Italy
Marksburg, K-D cruise, Rheinfels, Mainz - help with details?