I´ve been meaning to write this trip report for a while, but after my vacation, work demanded my entire attention and I didn’t start writing as soon as needed. My main reason for writing is because this forum always inspires me to explore somewhere new, and the tips and recommendations that I’ve found here have helped me a lot when planning my own trip, so this is my way of saying thank you, and hopefully help someone along the way.
This trip was planned as a 15th anniversary gift to ourselves, my husband and I wanted to go somewhere we’ve never been before. He is a great scotch fan, so he proposed going to Scotland in order to do some whiskey tasting. Since I’d never been to London before, we decided to include a stop there before going to Scotland.
Our itinerary looked like this:
Day 1-2: Madrid, stay at Vincci Soma Hotel. We´ve been here before a few times so we decided we would walk around Salamanca where our hotel was located, go out to dinner and just relax on this nice city.
Day 3: Flight to London. Stay at the Ampersand Hotel.
Go on the double decker bus
High Tea at the Atheneum.
Go to Wicked
Dinner at Brasserie Zedel
Day 4: Tower of London
Westminster Abbey. Kensington Palace
Dinner at Mosob
Day 5: Shakespeare Globe Theatre. St Pauls Cathedral
Hampton Court Palace
Dinner at Clos Maggiori
Day 6: Flight to Edinburgh. Stay at Hotel Missoni
Late lunch at Angels with Bagpipes
Walk along the royal mile and visit the whiskey experience.
Go to the Balmoral Bar for drinks.
Day 7: Edinburgh Castle
Lunch at Wedgwood
Rent a car and drive to Inverness. Stay at Inverglen.
Dinner at Rocpool.
Day 8: Visit Urquhart Castle. Lochness Center
Visit Dallas Dhu. Cawdor Castle.
Dinner at Mustard Seed.
Day 9: Brodie Castle. Pluscarden Abbey. Glenfiddich distillery.
Dinner and stay in Cardhu.
Day 10: Visit Glenlivet, Cardhu and Macallan distilleries.
Drive to Edinburgh: Stay at hotel Missoni
Dinner at La Garrigue
Day 11: Majestic tour bus. Palace of Holyroodhouse
Lunch at Brittania yacht
Tour the Brittania
Dinner at Mother India Café
Days 12-15: Flight to Madrid, and then back home.
We wanted to accomplish a lot, of course we knew some of it could be done and other things would be left out, thus giving us a reason to go back some day. As you can see restaurants are a priority when planning our trip. In London we chose the restaurants based on recommendations for restaurants that weren´t too expensive, but where we could enjoy our meal and the ambiance.
A bit about us, we are a couple from South America (English is not my first language), DH just turned 40 I´m in my mid 30’s. We enjoy travelling, wine and dining, and of course DH is a fan of scotch, mainly Johnny Walker and Old Parr, and single malts Macallan and Glenlivet. As a couple we´ve traveled to Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Spain, Italy, South Africa, and a few places in the US including Hawaii.
A few weeks before our travel my parents took a look at our itinerary, and my mom decided she had to come with us, because she wanted to go back to London and visit Edinburgh for the first time, and my dad wanted to go on the whisky trail. So all of a sudden our couple’s trip turned into a family trip. My parents are in their late 50’s early 60’s, they´ve travelled a lot and also enjoy wine and dining, my mom loves walking everywhere, my husband will take a cab if he has to travel more than 8 blocks. But somehow we made this work.
Since we booked our plane tickets separately my parents left for Madrid on March 13th and we flew on the 15th, so we met in Madrid.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Why Are We NOT Packed Yet? Munich, Verona, Stresa, Edinburgh, and London
- 2 Trip Report: 17 days in Spain & Portugal
- 3 four old ladies in spain
- 4 Paris - for the 6th time - need new ideas!
- 5 another Naples and Amalfi coast question
- 6 The cathedral of Amiens in color
- 7 Check out this amazing hotel just off the coast of Galway
- 8 Air France new business flat bed seats in fall, old seats in summer?
- 9 A Short Holiday Kiev and Chernobyl
- 10 Saltzburg,Nuremberg and munich
- 11 Saltzburg,nuremberg and munich
- 12 travel plan
- 13 More help with Ireland Itinerary
- 14 Brussels - the Netherlands day trip, where to go?
- 15 Skakalient gorge
- 16 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 17 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 18 Great Hotels in Prague and Vienna?
- 19 Realistic? Train Rome to Chiusei, get car on a SATURDAY?
- 20 9 days in Austria. Vienna plus 4 days w/car, Salzburg, then train back
- 21 Traveling options for Rome to Positano?
- 22 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 23 Calm base in Italy, Beginning of October
- 24 South of France - TR in Pictures
- 25 Considering selling off everything to travel the world...maybe
March trip to London, Edinburgh and the Whiskey Trail