With flights at a low, we're thinking of going to Madrid for a week in October. We've never been to Spain, and chose Madrid because we can take day trips by train, and won't need to rent a car.
We have some interest in museums, but really like old cobbled streets, local markets, city green spaces and parks, outdoor cafes to sit and enjoy an afternoon, ambling around enjoying the architecture and ambience. Not so much major shopping unless it's local stores.
Paris is a city we love because it has all those things within a reasonably small area, but we want to try s new city. In our experience London doesn't have one defined city centre. So my question is, is Madrid more like Paris or London regarding the centre.
I find Paris a very comfortable city, London more of an effort, if that makes any sense? With only a week, it would be ideal to walk out of our apartment or hotel and walk a different direction each day.
That brings another question, based on our interests, any particular area we should be looking for. We are young seniors, and won't be hitting up any bars, so not looking for a young, hip, loud, tacky area.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 2 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 3 Moscow Favorites
- 4 Italy with my Teen daughters
- 5 Couscous
- 6 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 7 Majorca 9 days - change hotels during trip?
- 8 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 9 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 10 SIM Card for London, Belgium, France & Italy
- 11 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 12 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 13 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 14 Guided Vatican Tours
- 15 Liverpool, Cardiff & Salisbury - how would you do it?
- 16 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 17 BA flights canceled until 18:00 local
- 18 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 19 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 20 Ibiiza Spain
- 21 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 22 Cartagena Spain
- 23 3 nights in Madrid
- 24 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 25 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK