With flights at a low, we're thinking of going to Madrid for a week in October. We've never been to Spain, and chose Madrid because we can take day trips by train, and won't need to rent a car.
We have some interest in museums, but really like old cobbled streets, local markets, city green spaces and parks, outdoor cafes to sit and enjoy an afternoon, ambling around enjoying the architecture and ambience. Not so much major shopping unless it's local stores.
Paris is a city we love because it has all those things within a reasonably small area, but we want to try s new city. In our experience London doesn't have one defined city centre. So my question is, is Madrid more like Paris or London regarding the centre.
I find Paris a very comfortable city, London more of an effort, if that makes any sense? With only a week, it would be ideal to walk out of our apartment or hotel and walk a different direction each day.
That brings another question, based on our interests, any particular area we should be looking for. We are young seniors, and won't be hitting up any bars, so not looking for a young, hip, loud, tacky area.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe First Timers
- 2 Lille Braderie 2017
- 3 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 4 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 5 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 6 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 7 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise
- 8 Thinking about the Fjords
- 9 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 10 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 11 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 12 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 13 Uber vs. TfL
- 14 I see the aspect outcomes of extremely inflamed
- 15 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 16 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 17 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 18 Greek Village
- 19 Berlin
- 20 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 21 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 22 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 23 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 24 Athens Help
- 25 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow