With flights at a low, we're thinking of going to Madrid for a week in October. We've never been to Spain, and chose Madrid because we can take day trips by train, and won't need to rent a car.
We have some interest in museums, but really like old cobbled streets, local markets, city green spaces and parks, outdoor cafes to sit and enjoy an afternoon, ambling around enjoying the architecture and ambience. Not so much major shopping unless it's local stores.
Paris is a city we love because it has all those things within a reasonably small area, but we want to try s new city. In our experience London doesn't have one defined city centre. So my question is, is Madrid more like Paris or London regarding the centre.
I find Paris a very comfortable city, London more of an effort, if that makes any sense? With only a week, it would be ideal to walk out of our apartment or hotel and walk a different direction each day.
That brings another question, based on our interests, any particular area we should be looking for. We are young seniors, and won't be hitting up any bars, so not looking for a young, hip, loud, tacky area.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 2 Spain in July
- 3 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 4 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 5 We're here!
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Where to enjoy Paris
- 8 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 9 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?
- 10 10 days in Paris and......
- 11 Prague Christmas Markets and Christmas mass
- 12 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 13 Athens
- 14 Need Info - Vienna, Prague, Venice, Geneva, Paris,
- 15 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 16 Itinerary check for Sicily, please!!
- 17 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 18 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 19 Lisbon-mini trip report
- 20 Hello -Please- Excuse Me- Good-Bye - Thank You ???
- 21 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 22 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 23 Budapest & Prague
- 24 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 25 Destination from London by train, advice please