With flights at a low, we're thinking of going to Madrid for a week in October. We've never been to Spain, and chose Madrid because we can take day trips by train, and won't need to rent a car.
We have some interest in museums, but really like old cobbled streets, local markets, city green spaces and parks, outdoor cafes to sit and enjoy an afternoon, ambling around enjoying the architecture and ambience. Not so much major shopping unless it's local stores.
Paris is a city we love because it has all those things within a reasonably small area, but we want to try s new city. In our experience London doesn't have one defined city centre. So my question is, is Madrid more like Paris or London regarding the centre.
I find Paris a very comfortable city, London more of an effort, if that makes any sense? With only a week, it would be ideal to walk out of our apartment or hotel and walk a different direction each day.
That brings another question, based on our interests, any particular area we should be looking for. We are young seniors, and won't be hitting up any bars, so not looking for a young, hip, loud, tacky area.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Budva or Perast in Montenegro
- 2 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 5 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 6 places : Italy Austria Germany Switzerland France Belgium Spain
- 7 Italy in a week
- 8 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 9 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 10 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 11 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 12 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 13 first time for teens in spain-barcelona and where else?
- 14 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 15 My special places in Europe
- 16 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 17 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 18 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 19 Weather in Budapest in late September
- 20 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 21 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 22 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 23 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 24 Travelling with Vueling?
- 25 Night Bus?