I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and my primary interest (traveling solo) on my trip was to wander around, take pictures and explore, with only the occasional museum visit. Honestly, I knew little about Luxembourg before planning the trip, but somehow the tiny little country has intruged me; and the more I learned about it the more interested I became. The World War II history was interesting to me, as a big part of the Battle of the Bulge took place in Luxembourg. I planned one night in Luxembourg City with some day trips - primarily to Diekirch (to see the war museum partly devoted to the Battle of the Bulge), Vianden (pretty town with a castle), and nearby Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City where the American Cemetery and Memorial (where Patton is buried) is located.
I didn't rent a car - I used public transportation to get everywhere. The train ride on the TGV from Paris was comfortable but not especially scenic, though the drizzle gradually turned into a heavy rain, so I couldn't see much, anyway. It was pouring rain when we pulled into the Luxembourg City train station just before 10:00 I was a wee bit discouraged. What was the point of staying here even one night with buckets of rain coming down? Pictures would be difficult, and wandering around and exploring Luxembourg was the point of my visit. Should I just keep going on to Brussels a day early and not even stay in Luxembourg? Maybe there'd be more to do in Brussels in the rain. I had booked a hotel in Luxembourg City but could still cancel it.
I decided to take a train up to the town of Diekirch - at least I could check out the war museum there - and then decide later whether to stay in Luxembourg or not. I checked my bags at the train station baggage room (3 Euro per day per bag by track 3) and bought a 4 Euro all-day transit pass - good on all trains and buses in the entire country. (Great deal! But it's a small country.)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks Northern Italy Itinerary Suggestion
- 2 Itenerary Opinion
- 3 Shoppingin Spain
- 4 Walking stylish sandals/flats
- 5 Itin help: 14-15 days in Bavaria, Austria, possibly Croatia and Prague
- 6 Bad Wimpfen or Schwaebisch Hall
- 7 Ecstacy of St. Teresa Under Renovation?
- 8 London-Paris solo trip
- 9 Where to stay around Munich
- 10 Northern England /Scotland in 16 days
- 11 Question for Aussies re travel SIMs in Europe
- 12 The Best of Paris Oct 12 -18th 2015
- 13 Eiffel-tower-shut-staff-walk-
- 14 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 15 Barcelona San Pau Apartment
- 16 Daytrip Ideas from Assisi (leaving this Saturday)
- 17 Northern Spain
- 18 Study Abroad in Barcelona or Urbino
- 19 Stresa: Do I Need A Car?
- 20 London to Edinburgh Road Trip - Advice appreciated
- 21 Parking in Alhambra for two days
- 22 French Prem Train Fares
- 23 Euro Quiz # 103 - Rivers!
- 24 Dublin to Dingle?
- 25 To Hampton Court Palace
Luxembourg Trip Report (two days/one night in May)