I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and my primary interest (traveling solo) on my trip was to wander around, take pictures and explore, with only the occasional museum visit. Honestly, I knew little about Luxembourg before planning the trip, but somehow the tiny little country has intruged me; and the more I learned about it the more interested I became. The World War II history was interesting to me, as a big part of the Battle of the Bulge took place in Luxembourg. I planned one night in Luxembourg City with some day trips - primarily to Diekirch (to see the war museum partly devoted to the Battle of the Bulge), Vianden (pretty town with a castle), and nearby Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City where the American Cemetery and Memorial (where Patton is buried) is located.
I didn't rent a car - I used public transportation to get everywhere. The train ride on the TGV from Paris was comfortable but not especially scenic, though the drizzle gradually turned into a heavy rain, so I couldn't see much, anyway. It was pouring rain when we pulled into the Luxembourg City train station just before 10:00 I was a wee bit discouraged. What was the point of staying here even one night with buckets of rain coming down? Pictures would be difficult, and wandering around and exploring Luxembourg was the point of my visit. Should I just keep going on to Brussels a day early and not even stay in Luxembourg? Maybe there'd be more to do in Brussels in the rain. I had booked a hotel in Luxembourg City but could still cancel it.
I decided to take a train up to the town of Diekirch - at least I could check out the war museum there - and then decide later whether to stay in Luxembourg or not. I checked my bags at the train station baggage room (3 Euro per day per bag by track 3) and bought a 4 Euro all-day transit pass - good on all trains and buses in the entire country. (Great deal! But it's a small country.)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Velib: Paris' bike-sharing program
- 2 Is Capri worth going to?
- 3 19 day Sicily Oct itinerary --take 2
- 4 Paris - Public Toilets Are a Changing...
- 5 Hotels in Paris
- 6 Planning west-east trip along Alps: Help!
- 7 How to enjoy Paris on a low/moderate budget?
- 8 How do you buy a Camper Van in Europe? Help ME!
- 9 At least 13 dead as flash floods hit the French Riviera
- 10 Tapas in Madrid and other stuff to do
- 11 Phone for GPS in Italy/Europe--T Mobile Simple Choice ? Buy a SIM card?
- 12 The Definitive Guide to Behave Like A Local in Spain
- 13 French Toll Roads Chip & sign Credit Card Payments
- 14 Base for 3 days in Galicia
- 15 Planning a Trip in Scandinavia
- 16 Rugby World Cup - is your team playing?
- 17 Which town-base for Lake Garda
- 18 PARIS and ROME and ???
- 19 2 wks in Sicily - Planning for May 2016
- 20 Educate me about Munich
- 21 Looking for a cooking class in Sorrento
- 22 3 days in the Algarve - May
- 23 Madrid in 2 Days
- 24 Outrageous car rental price in Lofoten, Norway!
- 25 What's your best driving experience in Europe?
Luxembourg Trip Report (two days/one night in May)