I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and my primary interest (traveling solo) on my trip was to wander around, take pictures and explore, with only the occasional museum visit. Honestly, I knew little about Luxembourg before planning the trip, but somehow the tiny little country has intruged me; and the more I learned about it the more interested I became. The World War II history was interesting to me, as a big part of the Battle of the Bulge took place in Luxembourg. I planned one night in Luxembourg City with some day trips - primarily to Diekirch (to see the war museum partly devoted to the Battle of the Bulge), Vianden (pretty town with a castle), and nearby Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City where the American Cemetery and Memorial (where Patton is buried) is located.
I didn't rent a car - I used public transportation to get everywhere. The train ride on the TGV from Paris was comfortable but not especially scenic, though the drizzle gradually turned into a heavy rain, so I couldn't see much, anyway. It was pouring rain when we pulled into the Luxembourg City train station just before 10:00 I was a wee bit discouraged. What was the point of staying here even one night with buckets of rain coming down? Pictures would be difficult, and wandering around and exploring Luxembourg was the point of my visit. Should I just keep going on to Brussels a day early and not even stay in Luxembourg? Maybe there'd be more to do in Brussels in the rain. I had booked a hotel in Luxembourg City but could still cancel it.
I decided to take a train up to the town of Diekirch - at least I could check out the war museum there - and then decide later whether to stay in Luxembourg or not. I checked my bags at the train station baggage room (3 Euro per day per bag by track 3) and bought a 4 Euro all-day transit pass - good on all trains and buses in the entire country. (Great deal! But it's a small country.)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Modifying car rental for new destination
- 2 London train and hotel information?
- 3 Swiss Transport Questions
- 4 southern italy? hmmmmm.
- 5 Sweden: Accidental visa overstay - am I screwed for good?
- 6 Italy Oct 2015 Where to go
- 7 Obtaining Swiss francs in Switzerland
- 8 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 9 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 10 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium
- 11 Venice water buses
- 12 Budapest questions round 1
- 13 Gatwick to London in time for 7.30 show? Help!
- 14 Railpass VS Point-to-Point
- 15 Help with recommendations in Croatia
- 16 Do Franprix or Monoprix stores offer delivery services?
- 17 I need advice; Spain in August.
- 18 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 19 Where in Switzerland
- 20 La Compagnie Air Flight to Paris
- 21 Help with Itinerary (specific ?s around Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Naples)
- 22 Brugges to Bayeux to Versailles
- 23 Self-driving in Iceland
- 24 Oh Italy, What to wear!
- 25 Venice Ferry to Croatia
Luxembourg Trip Report (two days/one night in May)