I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and my primary interest (traveling solo) on my trip was to wander around, take pictures and explore, with only the occasional museum visit. Honestly, I knew little about Luxembourg before planning the trip, but somehow the tiny little country has intruged me; and the more I learned about it the more interested I became. The World War II history was interesting to me, as a big part of the Battle of the Bulge took place in Luxembourg. I planned one night in Luxembourg City with some day trips - primarily to Diekirch (to see the war museum partly devoted to the Battle of the Bulge), Vianden (pretty town with a castle), and nearby Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City where the American Cemetery and Memorial (where Patton is buried) is located.
I didn't rent a car - I used public transportation to get everywhere. The train ride on the TGV from Paris was comfortable but not especially scenic, though the drizzle gradually turned into a heavy rain, so I couldn't see much, anyway. It was pouring rain when we pulled into the Luxembourg City train station just before 10:00 I was a wee bit discouraged. What was the point of staying here even one night with buckets of rain coming down? Pictures would be difficult, and wandering around and exploring Luxembourg was the point of my visit. Should I just keep going on to Brussels a day early and not even stay in Luxembourg? Maybe there'd be more to do in Brussels in the rain. I had booked a hotel in Luxembourg City but could still cancel it.
I decided to take a train up to the town of Diekirch - at least I could check out the war museum there - and then decide later whether to stay in Luxembourg or not. I checked my bags at the train station baggage room (3 Euro per day per bag by track 3) and bought a 4 Euro all-day transit pass - good on all trains and buses in the entire country. (Great deal! But it's a small country.)
Luxembourg Trip Report (two days/one night in May)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Airb2b in Paris
- 2 Euro Quiz # 65 (Friday)
- 3 Living and Studying in Moscow Russia
- 4 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 5 Italy late Sept to early Oct 2015
- 6 Driver/Car Transfer from Pisa to Cinque Terre
- 7 Venice tourist travel pass
- 8 Need help with Sicilian itineraries
- 9 Ireland with Kids in March - itinerary help
- 10 Munich/Bavaria, Austria and Switz trip suggestions/comments
- 11 DVD players in France
- 12 Sicily - Piazza Armerina from Siracusa?
- 13 Train from Sarlat
- 14 Travel from Amsterdam to Pisa
- 15 Two days in Dublin
- 16 Croatia Itinerary Help - Late May-Early June (15n)
- 17 4 days in Scotland
- 18 11:00 am flight from Rome & my husband
- 19 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 20 RER B Schedule on a Sunday Morning
- 21 Best Neighborhood To Stay In In Rome
- 22 Do European countries offer tax (or other) advantages to B&B owners?
- 23 Barcelona restaurants
- 24 BAR; SEV; MAD - Apr/May Activity: Running, Tennis and concerts ...
- 25 Cinque Terre and Côte d'Azur