I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and my primary interest (traveling solo) on my trip was to wander around, take pictures and explore, with only the occasional museum visit. Honestly, I knew little about Luxembourg before planning the trip, but somehow the tiny little country has intruged me; and the more I learned about it the more interested I became. The World War II history was interesting to me, as a big part of the Battle of the Bulge took place in Luxembourg. I planned one night in Luxembourg City with some day trips - primarily to Diekirch (to see the war museum partly devoted to the Battle of the Bulge), Vianden (pretty town with a castle), and nearby Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City where the American Cemetery and Memorial (where Patton is buried) is located.
I didn't rent a car - I used public transportation to get everywhere. The train ride on the TGV from Paris was comfortable but not especially scenic, though the drizzle gradually turned into a heavy rain, so I couldn't see much, anyway. It was pouring rain when we pulled into the Luxembourg City train station just before 10:00 I was a wee bit discouraged. What was the point of staying here even one night with buckets of rain coming down? Pictures would be difficult, and wandering around and exploring Luxembourg was the point of my visit. Should I just keep going on to Brussels a day early and not even stay in Luxembourg? Maybe there'd be more to do in Brussels in the rain. I had booked a hotel in Luxembourg City but could still cancel it.
I decided to take a train up to the town of Diekirch - at least I could check out the war museum there - and then decide later whether to stay in Luxembourg or not. I checked my bags at the train station baggage room (3 Euro per day per bag by track 3) and bought a 4 Euro all-day transit pass - good on all trains and buses in the entire country. (Great deal! But it's a small country.)
Luxembourg Trip Report (two days/one night in May)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 where to stay in Germany
- 2 Iceland for 2.5 weeks till mid october : Advice please
- 3 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 4 going to italy
- 5 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 6 Will Italy be busier the week of Labour day-May 01st 2015?
- 7 Playing Basketball in Amsterdam
- 8 A week in the South of France Sept 2014
- 9 Eight tips on buying wine in a French supermarket
- 10 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 11 Music, Hippos, Alchemists and More: A Berlin/Prague Trip Report
- 12 Are taxis easily obtained at the train station in Florence?
- 13 Fine with a rental car in Italy
- 14 Rentals car in Italy: FAQ
- 15 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 16 Oktoberfest vs Amsterdam
- 17 August highway traffic problems in Italy???
- 18 10 days in England
- 19 Help! Apartment near Parc de Passy or near Rue de Commerce!?
- 20 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 21 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 22 Ayasofya Hotel
- 23 Study Abroad: Amsterdam vs Berlin vs Prague
- 24 Saint Malo or Dinan?
- 25 Juan Les Pins or Cannes? Heading there this weekend and need your advise...