I decided to squeeze a brief visit to Luxembourg in the middle of a ten day trip to France and Belgium. I'm a photographer, and my primary interest (traveling solo) on my trip was to wander around, take pictures and explore, with only the occasional museum visit. Honestly, I knew little about Luxembourg before planning the trip, but somehow the tiny little country has intruged me; and the more I learned about it the more interested I became. The World War II history was interesting to me, as a big part of the Battle of the Bulge took place in Luxembourg. I planned one night in Luxembourg City with some day trips - primarily to Diekirch (to see the war museum partly devoted to the Battle of the Bulge), Vianden (pretty town with a castle), and nearby Hamm, a suburb of Luxembourg City where the American Cemetery and Memorial (where Patton is buried) is located.
I didn't rent a car - I used public transportation to get everywhere. The train ride on the TGV from Paris was comfortable but not especially scenic, though the drizzle gradually turned into a heavy rain, so I couldn't see much, anyway. It was pouring rain when we pulled into the Luxembourg City train station just before 10:00 I was a wee bit discouraged. What was the point of staying here even one night with buckets of rain coming down? Pictures would be difficult, and wandering around and exploring Luxembourg was the point of my visit. Should I just keep going on to Brussels a day early and not even stay in Luxembourg? Maybe there'd be more to do in Brussels in the rain. I had booked a hotel in Luxembourg City but could still cancel it.
I decided to take a train up to the town of Diekirch - at least I could check out the war museum there - and then decide later whether to stay in Luxembourg or not. I checked my bags at the train station baggage room (3 Euro per day per bag by track 3) and bought a 4 Euro all-day transit pass - good on all trains and buses in the entire country. (Great deal! But it's a small country.)
Luxembourg Trip Report (two days/one night in May)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 2 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 3 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 4 Recommendation for a wine tour departing from Strasbourg.
- 5 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 6 Looking for a month long vacation rental in France
- 7 ITALY
- 8 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 9 Forma Urbis Fragments in Capitoline Museum?
- 10 Akrotiri Tours
- 11 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 12 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 13 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 14 Switzerland--how is rain impacting hiking in engadines? sils maria?
- 15 Regensburg or Cesky Krumlov for Two Nights
- 16 Mosel Valley Base - NOT Rhine Valley Base
- 17 Dresden: 6 nights too many?
- 18 Sorrento - 2.5 days itinerary help
- 19 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 20 Northern Spain
- 21 Amsterdam: arriving 8/25 to depart on 8/30 Rhine river cruise
- 22 London hotel tax is 20%
- 23 great restaurant choice for normandy
- 24 France: which maps?
- 25 Ronda or Vejer de la Frontera?