Hello wise group,
We are off on another road trip in Italy later this month, driving to Pompeii from the north. To break up the drive on the way down, my mother has suggested a stop in the Orvieto / Castiglione del Lago area - - as she visited that area years ago and found it beautiful. We will be myself, my mom (in her late 60's and relatively healthy, but with some mobility limitations) and my very active, well traveled three children - ages 10, 7 and 6. I have spent a lot of time and energy planning the other aspects of this holiday and am running low on inspiration at this point -- please help me identify cool places to stay about three or even four hours north of Pompeii (closer is fine too) that have places with family size rooms, have castles to explore (or stay in?), orchards or wineries we can visit, lakes and hiking can be great too, my eldest is an aspiring history buff - so cool historical significance is a bonus, and ideally a place with 'plan b' activities nearby, i.e. indoor activities in case the weather is just horrible. I think we are more inclined to stay in the country side than a 'city' - but are flexible on that point and near a larger town/ city with plan b activities may make sense.
I really know very little about this area between Florence and Rome. It seems from my brief research that there are so many quaint towns, and I am completely overwhelmed by my options.
If this is not the right season to visit this area, or perhaps it is not the type of place you can stay just two nights, as an alternative, we could find a motorway hotel along the way and stop for only one night - or push through and drive all the way to Pompeii in a day. . . but as the driver of a full car, I would rather take a break.
Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, inspiration!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 USA :COMCAST Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :6830 COMCAST ACCOUNT 24*7
- 2 6 day trip to Italy... Venice to rome
- 3 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 4 Nightlife in Rome (Alone)
- 5 Tuscany wedding venues for 2
- 6 3 nights in Madrid
- 7 Keira-Caitlyn Travels to Turkey...adventures in Istanbul and Ephesus
- 8 Trip to Switzerland
- 9 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 10 Shortest wait for the Vatican without prebooking online?
- 11 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 12 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 13 Rome hotel
- 14 Very British Neighborhood in London
- 15 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 16 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 17 Seville to Cordoba
- 18 London Hotel - Different Request
- 19 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 20 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 21 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 22 London 6 day itinerary
- 23 Rome-Switzerland-Paris-Rome 2 week trip
- 24 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 25 Kayak = Priceline and unavailable flights?
Looking for inspiration/ ideas around Orvieto / Castiglionne del Lago area
Hello wise group,