Hello wise group,
We are off on another road trip in Italy later this month, driving to Pompeii from the north. To break up the drive on the way down, my mother has suggested a stop in the Orvieto / Castiglione del Lago area - - as she visited that area years ago and found it beautiful. We will be myself, my mom (in her late 60's and relatively healthy, but with some mobility limitations) and my very active, well traveled three children - ages 10, 7 and 6. I have spent a lot of time and energy planning the other aspects of this holiday and am running low on inspiration at this point -- please help me identify cool places to stay about three or even four hours north of Pompeii (closer is fine too) that have places with family size rooms, have castles to explore (or stay in?), orchards or wineries we can visit, lakes and hiking can be great too, my eldest is an aspiring history buff - so cool historical significance is a bonus, and ideally a place with 'plan b' activities nearby, i.e. indoor activities in case the weather is just horrible. I think we are more inclined to stay in the country side than a 'city' - but are flexible on that point and near a larger town/ city with plan b activities may make sense.
I really know very little about this area between Florence and Rome. It seems from my brief research that there are so many quaint towns, and I am completely overwhelmed by my options.
If this is not the right season to visit this area, or perhaps it is not the type of place you can stay just two nights, as an alternative, we could find a motorway hotel along the way and stop for only one night - or push through and drive all the way to Pompeii in a day. . . but as the driver of a full car, I would rather take a break.
Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, inspiration!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://www.healthynutritionshop.com/hl-slim-pro/
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 4 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 5 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 6 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 7 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 8 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 9 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 10 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 Juangfrau / mt
- 13 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 14 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 15 Switzerland
- 16 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 17 Questions about Polish sights
- 18 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 19 If you had to choose one......
- 20 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 21 Ireland travel passport question
- 22 Italy
- 23 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 24 Revised itinerary for italy
- 25 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
Looking for inspiration/ ideas around Orvieto / Castiglionne del Lago area
Hello wise group,