Hello wise group,
We are off on another road trip in Italy later this month, driving to Pompeii from the north. To break up the drive on the way down, my mother has suggested a stop in the Orvieto / Castiglione del Lago area - - as she visited that area years ago and found it beautiful. We will be myself, my mom (in her late 60's and relatively healthy, but with some mobility limitations) and my very active, well traveled three children - ages 10, 7 and 6. I have spent a lot of time and energy planning the other aspects of this holiday and am running low on inspiration at this point -- please help me identify cool places to stay about three or even four hours north of Pompeii (closer is fine too) that have places with family size rooms, have castles to explore (or stay in?), orchards or wineries we can visit, lakes and hiking can be great too, my eldest is an aspiring history buff - so cool historical significance is a bonus, and ideally a place with 'plan b' activities nearby, i.e. indoor activities in case the weather is just horrible. I think we are more inclined to stay in the country side than a 'city' - but are flexible on that point and near a larger town/ city with plan b activities may make sense.
I really know very little about this area between Florence and Rome. It seems from my brief research that there are so many quaint towns, and I am completely overwhelmed by my options.
If this is not the right season to visit this area, or perhaps it is not the type of place you can stay just two nights, as an alternative, we could find a motorway hotel along the way and stop for only one night - or push through and drive all the way to Pompeii in a day. . . but as the driver of a full car, I would rather take a break.
Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, inspiration!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 driving from prague to salzburg
- 2 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 3 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 4 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 5 We're here!
- 6 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 7 Versailles
- 8 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 9 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 10 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 11 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 12 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 13 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 14 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 15 WB Harry Potter Studios Sold Out
- 16 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 17 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 18 Germany train help!
- 19 Cap Corse - clockwise or counterclockwise
- 20 Most beautiful building facades and photo ops in Paris
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Acorn TV
- 23 Train help for Prague
- 24 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 25 Sicily
Looking for inspiration/ ideas around Orvieto / Castiglionne del Lago area
Hello wise group,