Hello wise group,
We are off on another road trip in Italy later this month, driving to Pompeii from the north. To break up the drive on the way down, my mother has suggested a stop in the Orvieto / Castiglione del Lago area - - as she visited that area years ago and found it beautiful. We will be myself, my mom (in her late 60's and relatively healthy, but with some mobility limitations) and my very active, well traveled three children - ages 10, 7 and 6. I have spent a lot of time and energy planning the other aspects of this holiday and am running low on inspiration at this point -- please help me identify cool places to stay about three or even four hours north of Pompeii (closer is fine too) that have places with family size rooms, have castles to explore (or stay in?), orchards or wineries we can visit, lakes and hiking can be great too, my eldest is an aspiring history buff - so cool historical significance is a bonus, and ideally a place with 'plan b' activities nearby, i.e. indoor activities in case the weather is just horrible. I think we are more inclined to stay in the country side than a 'city' - but are flexible on that point and near a larger town/ city with plan b activities may make sense.
I really know very little about this area between Florence and Rome. It seems from my brief research that there are so many quaint towns, and I am completely overwhelmed by my options.
If this is not the right season to visit this area, or perhaps it is not the type of place you can stay just two nights, as an alternative, we could find a motorway hotel along the way and stop for only one night - or push through and drive all the way to Pompeii in a day. . . but as the driver of a full car, I would rather take a break.
Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions, inspiration!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 2 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 3 2 weeks Europe trip
- 4 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 5 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 6 UK Itinerary Help Please
- 7 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
- 8 How to pick an apartment in Paris?
- 9 mountain views near London
- 10 12 days in and out of Barcelona-where to go?
- 11 Cordoba Overnight?
- 12 Seville, Cordoba, Ronda, Granada Trip Report
- 13 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 14 Best Indian / Vegetarian restaurant in Athens
- 15 Train/s from Antwerp to Cochem, Germany
- 16 Thalys ticket, please advice.
- 17 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 18 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 19 Unlimited Internet Poland and best place to visit?
- 20 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 21 10-12 days - Czech Republic/Austria/Munich?
- 22 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 23 Uffizi and Accademia Gallery Florence
- 24 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 25 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
Looking for inspiration/ ideas around Orvieto / Castiglionne del Lago area
Hello wise group,