I have a short time (two nights) to spend at Lake Geneva and am wondering which city would be the better base: Vevey, Morges, or perhaps another town?
For context: I will be in Switzerland for a week but do not have a lot of flexibility in this trip. For the rest of the time, I will be in Basel and will be somewhat limited even in being able to do day trips from there. I want to see at least one other region of the country and have chosen Lake Geneva because I have always wanted to visit it. I have been to Switzerland before (Lucerne) but it was a long time ago.
For these nights at the lake, I am mainly looking to relax and see some beautiful scenery. I love longs walks but would like close access to restaurants and cafes. I dislike places that seem a bit touristy, which is why I am not inclined to stay in Montreax or someplace similar.
I will be there in either late March or early April and have found centrally located hotels in both Vevey and Morges that I would think would fit my price range and be fine. So I'm just wondering how these two towns compare in terms of atmosphere, lake views, and so on. The one excursion I want to do is to get some exterior photos of Chateau de Chillon, for which I guess Vevey would be better the choice. On the other hand, I feel a little more positive about the hotel in Morges.
So does anyone want to vote one way or the other? Thanks a lot for any input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 2 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 3 Naples, Italy
- 4 Engadine Valley help
- 5 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 6 Tuscany 6 nights
- 7 Ireland travel passport question
- 8 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 9 French restaurants
- 10 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 11 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 12 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees
- 13 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 14 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 15 Planning a European Trip
- 16 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 17 France & Italy, May or June
- 18 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 19 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 20 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 21 San Sebastian
- 22 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 23 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 24 Lisbon trip report
- 25 restaurants in Marais district