I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Long Weekend Surprise - February 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 2 Are 9 Days Too Much for the Dordogne?
- 3 Dresden or Leipzig
- 4 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 5 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 6 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 7 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 8 Transfer from Linate to Bellagio
- 9 Trains in Italy
- 10 ACP Rail -- any info?
- 11 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 12 Frustrated! 1st trip to PARIS & France in JULY: Need Cheery HELP!
- 13 Air pollution in Paris
- 14 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 15 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
- 16 Venice - guided boat/tour trips in winter?
- 17 Madrid - Bernina Express
- 18 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 19 UK & Ireland 2 week travel itinerary (looking for input)
- 20 20 days in Germany
- 21 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 22 France, Italy and Greec
- 23 Rome---August and September
- 24 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 25 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS