I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Milan / Venice / Tuscany/ Barcelona
- 2 Norfolk base
- 3 20 free days of Europe
- 4 Venice to Rome via Pisa in 1 day
- 5 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 6 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 7 5 Day itinerary
- 8 Arriving in Budapest 9/11!
- 9 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 10 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 11 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 12 Getting to CDG Airport from Le Marais
- 13 Our European adventures
- 14 Eurotrip - Athens to Santorini
- 15 Where to start Chiantigiana drive from Montepulciano?
- 16 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 17 Spain Trip Report
- 18 *Need help w/Puglia itinerary*
- 19 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 20 The annual Ganesha procession in Paris
- 21 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 22 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 23 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
- 24 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 25 CDG international flight