I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Long Weekend Surprise - February 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 2 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 3 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 4 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag
- 5 Mozart - Salzburg or Vienna?
- 6 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 7 going to italy
- 8 Will Italy be busier the week of Labour day-May 01st 2015?
- 9 Are taxis easily obtained at the train station in Florence?
- 10 Stay away from EF Tours
- 11 Home base stay in Italy for vacation
- 12 Copenhagen, Bergen, Stockholm, Estonia and Helsinki Getting Around
- 13 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady
- 14 Thanks to Fodorites for help planning Paris/London trip
- 15 Italy things to do?
- 16 Getting cash in Spain
- 17 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 18 St. Paul's Cathedral bells
- 19 Sirop and Sandwiches, Normandy, Loire and Paris with our grandsons
- 20 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 21 How to do St. Petersburg in 24 or 48 hours with no visa?
- 22 I Go to Pieces — An Italy Trip Report
- 23 Help w/ rental car arrangements-Pickup in Lisbon, Portugal-Drop in Seville?
- 24 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 25 A town in France for a month