I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 2 Zurich to Milan trip
- 3 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 4 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 5 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 6 Stonehenge Inner Circle next May
- 7 Southern Iceland itinerary add-ons!
- 8 Italy Car Scam
- 9 Quizz !
- 10 Pay attention to your watches !
- 11 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 12 How can I stay in Italy for more than 90 days?
- 13 car insurance italy
- 14 Christmas Day in Granada
- 15 a group of old friends traveling to croatia
- 16 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 17 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 18 Itinerary advice Greece Nov 18-26
- 19 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 20 Venice/Mestre
- 21 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 22 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 23 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 24 9 Days in Spain
- 25 Apple Pay on London Transit