I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 February in Florence
- 2 kureiff and dcd
- 3 Scotland/UK itinerary
- 4 Update on buying SIM Card at FCO
- 5 Pensione Suzanne, Vienna
- 6 Visit Uzes from Nimes by bus
- 7 Best Destination for Teenage Girls?
- 8 help in planning itinerary to UK
- 9 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 10 1 week solo in Europe. Which of these?
- 11 Trip report: 24 days in Croatia, Slovenia and Budapest
- 12 Planning 2 days in Granada
- 13 PLITVICE LAKES
- 14 England and Wales by public transport
- 15 Loire Valley itinerary
- 16 Venice, September 2016, a trip report (sort of).
- 17 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 18 Cheap Hotel in Prague
- 19 Getting away from it all in Puglia
- 20 Italy Honeymoon 2016
- 21 Can I buy a Sim card at FCO? Terminal 3
- 22 Phone cards
- 23 sim card
- 24 10 nights in Italy for a first timer
- 25 Amalfi Coast by Car