I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Long Weekend Surprise - February 2013
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please help with itinerary for 18 days in Italy.
- 2 9 Days In Ireland-Flying in and out of Shannon
- 3 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 4 Puglia--need hotel for last 2 nites HELP trip is coming up
- 5 A full week in The Netherlands
- 6 Seven days in London, June, 2014
- 7 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 8 Planning an itinerary in Southern France
- 9 Crete Chania and the Libyan Sea villages
- 10 40 Major Tourist Scams
- 11 Ideas for Shropshire Please
- 12 things in Rhonda
- 13 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 14 Southern Italy without a Car
- 15 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 16 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 17 Need to get from ship to Venice airport
- 18 PRIVATE GUIDES IN ITALY--MASTER LIST
- 19 Berlin, Paris, London: 2 weeks, 3 people
- 20 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 21 Help Me Fill in the Blanks
- 22 Visit to Bath and London england
- 23 Planning third trip to France-where to next?
- 24 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 25 Tour Company in Russia