I am just starting to explore a long weekend surprise trip for my boyfriend's birthday in February of next year. We'd leave from New York in the evening on Feb.13 and return on Monday Feb. 18 or Tuesday Feb. 19. I'd really like to take him out of the US since he hasn't done much in the way of international travel, and with 4-5 nights I'd probably limit it to a max 9 hour flight.
Our main interests (weighed a bit more heavily on his interests since we'd be celebrating his birthday) for this trip would be:
-art museums and galleries
-live music scene (especially jazz)
-great national cuisine and/or great dining options at all price points
-place neither of us have been yet
-ideally outside of the US
Based on this criteria, I think the best options are in Europe, and think a good fit would be a long weekend trip to Paris, which neither of us have been to. I honestly haven't found another location that would be suitable for a long weekend and fulfill his main wishes: would LOVE to take him to Tokyo, but that's far too long a flight to go for 4-5 nights for pleasure! Neither of us are much fussed about the cold (New York can get cold/wet/miserable in Feb anyway) but I don't think we want to be in a place far colder than home.
My main questions are:
-Would you recommend Paris as a great destination in February with these interests in mind?
-Are there other locations in Europe (or near enough for a long weekend) that should be on the shortlist? Berlin and Amsterdam seem like they may fit the bill, although both cities would probably be colder than Paris, and I don't know much about their dining scenes but I'd be curious about both. Barcelona?
Thank you! (I did also post on Lonelyplanet, so apologies if you read this twice! Very eager to find the best fit plan possible!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 House Hunting in France
- 2 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 3 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 4 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 5 English Countryside
- 6 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 7 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 8 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 9 Granada to Madrid
- 10 Where to buy Saffron?
- 11 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 12 Barcelona cooking classes
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 15 1st time in ZURICH
- 16 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 17 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 18 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 19 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 20 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 21 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 22 If you had to choose one......
- 23 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 24 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 25 Cognac transportation?