Day 1 : 06/25/13. We (wife & 2 fifteen y/o grandchildren) arrived at LHR about 7:30 AM and waited about 45 minutes to clear immigration ( not a good time to arrive). Met our driver and after some rush hour traffic arrived at our London Connections flat on Haymarket St in Piccadilly about 10 AM.
After getting some provisions at a local Tesco market we adventured out. We walked along St. James Prk to Buckingham Palace for some photo ops. We proceeded to the Victoria Train station where we picked up our kids 11-15 YO Oyster cards which we had applied for months ago. We also got cards for ourselves. As we were starting to drag by now, we hopped on the tube & took it 2 stops to Westminster. Coming out onto the street to the view of the Parliament was awesome. We walked on the Westminster Bridge for pix of Parliament and the London Eye. We then proceeded up thru Trafalgar Sq back to our flat. After freshening up we walked to Covent Garden for our dinner at Belgo Centraal (which was better than the raves we read about). We then strolled back thru CG; found a place for delicious gelato and crashed back at our flat at about 9:30.
After a leisurely breakfast in our flat, we were off to Queensway tube station where we met our guide (jamie) for our Fattire Bike tour. It was an exhausting 4 hr bike ride thru Kensington Gardens, Hyde park, on to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Sq. the a 45 min lunch break then on to Westminster Abbey, Parliament and along the way. Jamie was great with his anecdotes and history of the sites. The evening consisted of a great dinner at Da Mario in Covent Gdn followed by Spamalot at the Playhouse Theatre. A full day.
We're off for a day trip to Windsor. We took the the tube to Waterloo where we purchased combination rail/Windsor Castle tkts. Took guided tour and audio tour of the Castle grounds and State apartments. Very impressive for a summer home. Back around 4:30 to chill with a glass of wine.
To be continued.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris with Layover in Munich. Can we leave the airport?
- 2 Which is the nearest London airport to reach loughton
- 3 What is the area around Camaiore like?
- 4 Andalucia in December
- 5 Assisi, Chianti & Inqie Terre-2 wks.
- 6 England and Wales by public transport
- 7 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 8 Travel vs. Babies
- 9 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 10 did anyone familiar with p-airbus for airport transportation?
- 11 Need suggestions for musical Events in Rome
- 12 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 13 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 14 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 15 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 16 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 17 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 18 Bamboozled. First trip to Europe. Motorhome v car and other questions...
- 19 Vienna or Budapest?
- 20 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 21 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 22 Will you skip Vienna for other city?
- 23 Rome to Florence Road Trip, Vineyard Recommendations
- 24 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 25 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions