Day 1 : 06/25/13. We (wife & 2 fifteen y/o grandchildren) arrived at LHR about 7:30 AM and waited about 45 minutes to clear immigration ( not a good time to arrive). Met our driver and after some rush hour traffic arrived at our London Connections flat on Haymarket St in Piccadilly about 10 AM.
After getting some provisions at a local Tesco market we adventured out. We walked along St. James Prk to Buckingham Palace for some photo ops. We proceeded to the Victoria Train station where we picked up our kids 11-15 YO Oyster cards which we had applied for months ago. We also got cards for ourselves. As we were starting to drag by now, we hopped on the tube & took it 2 stops to Westminster. Coming out onto the street to the view of the Parliament was awesome. We walked on the Westminster Bridge for pix of Parliament and the London Eye. We then proceeded up thru Trafalgar Sq back to our flat. After freshening up we walked to Covent Garden for our dinner at Belgo Centraal (which was better than the raves we read about). We then strolled back thru CG; found a place for delicious gelato and crashed back at our flat at about 9:30.
After a leisurely breakfast in our flat, we were off to Queensway tube station where we met our guide (jamie) for our Fattire Bike tour. It was an exhausting 4 hr bike ride thru Kensington Gardens, Hyde park, on to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Sq. the a 45 min lunch break then on to Westminster Abbey, Parliament and along the way. Jamie was great with his anecdotes and history of the sites. The evening consisted of a great dinner at Da Mario in Covent Gdn followed by Spamalot at the Playhouse Theatre. A full day.
We're off for a day trip to Windsor. We took the the tube to Waterloo where we purchased combination rail/Windsor Castle tkts. Took guided tour and audio tour of the Castle grounds and State apartments. Very impressive for a summer home. Back around 4:30 to chill with a glass of wine.
To be continued.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 2 italy
- 3 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 4 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 5 London in 3 days! Help with lodging, please!
- 6 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 7 Foie gras, redux
- 8 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 9 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 10 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 11 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 12 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 13 What to wear
- 14 What still confounds you about travel?
- 15 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 16 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 17 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 18 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 19 Pronunciation
- 20 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 21 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 22 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 23 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 24 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 25 Ryanair Cabin Luggage