Day 1 : 06/25/13. We (wife & 2 fifteen y/o grandchildren) arrived at LHR about 7:30 AM and waited about 45 minutes to clear immigration ( not a good time to arrive). Met our driver and after some rush hour traffic arrived at our London Connections flat on Haymarket St in Piccadilly about 10 AM.
After getting some provisions at a local Tesco market we adventured out. We walked along St. James Prk to Buckingham Palace for some photo ops. We proceeded to the Victoria Train station where we picked up our kids 11-15 YO Oyster cards which we had applied for months ago. We also got cards for ourselves. As we were starting to drag by now, we hopped on the tube & took it 2 stops to Westminster. Coming out onto the street to the view of the Parliament was awesome. We walked on the Westminster Bridge for pix of Parliament and the London Eye. We then proceeded up thru Trafalgar Sq back to our flat. After freshening up we walked to Covent Garden for our dinner at Belgo Centraal (which was better than the raves we read about). We then strolled back thru CG; found a place for delicious gelato and crashed back at our flat at about 9:30.
After a leisurely breakfast in our flat, we were off to Queensway tube station where we met our guide (jamie) for our Fattire Bike tour. It was an exhausting 4 hr bike ride thru Kensington Gardens, Hyde park, on to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Sq. the a 45 min lunch break then on to Westminster Abbey, Parliament and along the way. Jamie was great with his anecdotes and history of the sites. The evening consisted of a great dinner at Da Mario in Covent Gdn followed by Spamalot at the Playhouse Theatre. A full day.
We're off for a day trip to Windsor. We took the the tube to Waterloo where we purchased combination rail/Windsor Castle tkts. Took guided tour and audio tour of the Castle grounds and State apartments. Very impressive for a summer home. Back around 4:30 to chill with a glass of wine.
To be continued.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 2 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 3 Early planning for Scotland. Itinerary thoughts?
- 4 Southern Spain Recs for Honeymooners?
- 5 Sicily car rental: pickup, drop off, and size
- 6 Please help with transportation suggestions in Belgium
- 7 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 8 Itinerary Help For Switzerland And Lakes Region Of Italy
- 9 Ireland Itinerary Help
- 10 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 11 Scotland Advise: Isle of Skye or Glen Coe
- 12 Planning Europe itinerary
- 13 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 14 Spain student visa/ travel questions
- 15 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 16 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 17 Path of the gods.
- 18 2 Week Euro Solo Trip - UK, Paris, Brussels
- 19 Sicily in 4 days
- 20 Munich, Germany
- 21 Cordoba or Granada?
- 22 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 23 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 24 Southern Spain or Sicily in early to mid March
- 25 Review of the Jhieronimus Bosch ehibition