Day 1 : 06/25/13. We (wife & 2 fifteen y/o grandchildren) arrived at LHR about 7:30 AM and waited about 45 minutes to clear immigration ( not a good time to arrive). Met our driver and after some rush hour traffic arrived at our London Connections flat on Haymarket St in Piccadilly about 10 AM.
After getting some provisions at a local Tesco market we adventured out. We walked along St. James Prk to Buckingham Palace for some photo ops. We proceeded to the Victoria Train station where we picked up our kids 11-15 YO Oyster cards which we had applied for months ago. We also got cards for ourselves. As we were starting to drag by now, we hopped on the tube & took it 2 stops to Westminster. Coming out onto the street to the view of the Parliament was awesome. We walked on the Westminster Bridge for pix of Parliament and the London Eye. We then proceeded up thru Trafalgar Sq back to our flat. After freshening up we walked to Covent Garden for our dinner at Belgo Centraal (which was better than the raves we read about). We then strolled back thru CG; found a place for delicious gelato and crashed back at our flat at about 9:30.
After a leisurely breakfast in our flat, we were off to Queensway tube station where we met our guide (jamie) for our Fattire Bike tour. It was an exhausting 4 hr bike ride thru Kensington Gardens, Hyde park, on to Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Sq. the a 45 min lunch break then on to Westminster Abbey, Parliament and along the way. Jamie was great with his anecdotes and history of the sites. The evening consisted of a great dinner at Da Mario in Covent Gdn followed by Spamalot at the Playhouse Theatre. A full day.
We're off for a day trip to Windsor. We took the the tube to Waterloo where we purchased combination rail/Windsor Castle tkts. Took guided tour and audio tour of the Castle grounds and State apartments. Very impressive for a summer home. Back around 4:30 to chill with a glass of wine.
To be continued.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Road Maps of Ireland
- 2 My First Trip to Europe...
- 3 Two-day Detour Before Amalfi Coast
- 4 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 5 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 6 Base City for N Europe Layover
- 7 Manchester on derby weekend
- 8 Rome to Positano
- 9 Day trips from Uzes
- 10 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 11 3 week Italy trip with 12 and 14 year old - 2017
- 12 Itinerary Critique, please?
- 13 From London to Paris to US
- 14 France to stop making foie grois
- 15 Family of 4, 2 Young Teens, 14 Nights, 4 Countries
- 16 Lisbon ... Two days only ... Must see?
- 17 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 18 Puglia
- 19 Trip Report: A Culinary Adventure Through Burgundy
- 20 Day Trip from Lausanne
- 21 Barcelona Car rental return
- 22 Stonehenge and Bath
- 23 Ferrara or Verona for a 4/5 hours stopover?
- 24 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 25 Heathrow to hotel transportation question