I've plowed through a number of these great Normandy trip reports in the Europe forum with many helpful tips for our planned spring break trip to Normandy and Paris (we live in London). We are aiming for 3-4 days in Normandy and want to see several of the WWII sites (beaches, US museum, etc), plus Mont St. Michel, tapestry, and whatever else we can in that time. Hope to base ourselves at a single hotel, of which several on the board come recommended. Then finish with 4 days in Paris at a friend's apartment near St. Sulpice.
I would like to start booking the trains/cars/whatever well in advance, so what would be the best option for getting to Normandy from London, among the following not-so-attractive options?:
1. Eurostar to Paris, switch stations, train to Bayeux or Caen, rent car -- seems like a long travel day shlepping our stuff and two kids around France.
2. Eurostar to Paris, rent car Gare du Nord, drive to Bayeux -- not thrilled about the challenge of having to drive out of Paris & suburbs given the traffic.
3. Eurostar to Calais or Lille, rent car -- too far to drive to Bayeux?
4. Ferry to a Normandy port (from Portsmouth?), rent car -- Not ideal as daughter is prone to motion sickness, and I long ago swore off the Dover-Calais ferries I took in college.
5. Other possibilities?
Option 1 seems best to me as I prefer to avoid driving in or around Paris, and that way we could rent and drop the car in Bayeux or Caen and rely on the train in and out of Paris. But the station switch in Paris is not ideal either, so wondering if there is another way to avoid Paris altogether until the back end of the trip. Also, the Eurostar to Calais only operates early in the morning or late in the day, so it is not a good option, and in any case Calais appears to be a long way from Bayeux.
London to Normandy -- best route option?
- 1 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 2 Sicily 10 days
- 3 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 4 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 5 Advises for trip to Russia
- 6 To Paris and Provence in June
- 7 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 8 Dawdling Through the Dordogne
- 9 London for Christmas
- 10 Travel by train or bus
- 11 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 12 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 13 Medieval Tallinn
- 14 Portugal in September
- 15 Picturesque Towns in Europe: Your Favorite?
- 16 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 17 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 18 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 19 suggestions for a base in france -rouen to st malo in 4 days
- 20 FRA airport: How big is "big"?
- 21 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 22 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 23 Family European winter holiday
- 24 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 25 lockers in London's Victoria Station