Ladies and gentlemen,
My wife and I are wrapping uip our life in the UK and returning home and have been floating the idea of driving up to Edinburgh (perhaps even further North - isle of Skye?). I know it's convenient to take a train and cheaper by plane etc but we REALLY do want to drive and have chalked out a rough map.
So with that in mind here goes:
- London to Chester - spend the whole day in Chester. Stay overnight.
- Chester to Liverpool - 2 nights
- Liverpool to Lake District (Not sure where?) - 1 night
- Lake Disctrict to Edinburgh - 3 nights
- Edinburgh - Isle of Skye (not sure where exactly) - 1 night
- Isle of Skye to Aberdeen - 1 night in Aberdeen
- Aberdeen to Durham and Newcastle - 2 nights
- Newcastle to London
I have realised that removing the Edinburgh to Isle of Skye to Aberdeen part will save us approx 400 miles. That is a significant amount of driving and I wanted to find out what this forum thought about adding it in or leaving it out. Part of me thinks I am probabaly never going to repeat this journey so might as well, then, other part thinks well, I'm not sure if this will break my back and just add more time and effort.
Destinations - What do you think I could add along the way to visit, any specific towns I could swing by or stop over on this route, I should consider?
Accomodation - I am hoping to stay out of main city centres for the primary reason that they can be expensive to find accomodation. Do you have any suggestions of towns 10-15 minutes out of each of my destinations that I should look for decent accomodation in.
we also have a small dog who will be travelling with us (she loves road trips!) and need pet-friendly places.
Weather - It does get WET up North, doesnt it. Hoping it wouldnt be absolutely horrible and we get to have a great time on thjis road trip - any thoughts on how the weather could be in mid-late September would be great.
I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I will be going thorugh forums and searching the internet for things to do in each area.
Thanks a bunch,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train Questions: Getting a Train to Bruges And One Random Question
- 2 Greek Islands - Which to use as our base?
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Sicily in feb? If not, where to from Israel?
- 5 Italy Car Scam
- 6 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 7 Desperate! photo SD card says "not Formatted" is all lost!?
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 Driving through Paris
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Road trip with our dog
- 13 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 14 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 15 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 18 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 19 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 20 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 21 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 22 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 23 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 24 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 25 Suggestion for trip to Switzerland, Greece and Italy
London to Edinburgh by car - suggested itinerary for your thoughts
Ladies and gentlemen,