Ladies and gentlemen,
My wife and I are wrapping uip our life in the UK and returning home and have been floating the idea of driving up to Edinburgh (perhaps even further North - isle of Skye?). I know it's convenient to take a train and cheaper by plane etc but we REALLY do want to drive and have chalked out a rough map.
So with that in mind here goes:
- London to Chester - spend the whole day in Chester. Stay overnight.
- Chester to Liverpool - 2 nights
- Liverpool to Lake District (Not sure where?) - 1 night
- Lake Disctrict to Edinburgh - 3 nights
- Edinburgh - Isle of Skye (not sure where exactly) - 1 night
- Isle of Skye to Aberdeen - 1 night in Aberdeen
- Aberdeen to Durham and Newcastle - 2 nights
- Newcastle to London
I have realised that removing the Edinburgh to Isle of Skye to Aberdeen part will save us approx 400 miles. That is a significant amount of driving and I wanted to find out what this forum thought about adding it in or leaving it out. Part of me thinks I am probabaly never going to repeat this journey so might as well, then, other part thinks well, I'm not sure if this will break my back and just add more time and effort.
Destinations - What do you think I could add along the way to visit, any specific towns I could swing by or stop over on this route, I should consider?
Accomodation - I am hoping to stay out of main city centres for the primary reason that they can be expensive to find accomodation. Do you have any suggestions of towns 10-15 minutes out of each of my destinations that I should look for decent accomodation in.
we also have a small dog who will be travelling with us (she loves road trips!) and need pet-friendly places.
Weather - It does get WET up North, doesnt it. Hoping it wouldnt be absolutely horrible and we get to have a great time on thjis road trip - any thoughts on how the weather could be in mid-late September would be great.
I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I will be going thorugh forums and searching the internet for things to do in each area.
Thanks a bunch,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 2 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 3 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 4 Planning first Italy Trip!
- 5 Last minute trip to Capri
- 6 Greece - 8 days - Recommendations please!
- 7 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 8 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 9 3 nights in the 10th Paris
- 10 Car Rentals in Avignon
- 11 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 12 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 13 Trip Report: Denmark, 2017
- 14 London Theater
- 15 Salzburg itinerary review
- 16 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 17 Poland to Austria In December
- 18 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 19 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 20 London GTG - early Oct are you available?
- 21 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 22 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 23 Private Guide in Lyon
- 24 Norwegian Air?
- 25 Highclare Castle
London to Edinburgh by car - suggested itinerary for your thoughts
Ladies and gentlemen,