Hopefully someone has some advice on what to do in this scenario. My parents will be travelling from London to Avignon via Eurostar/TGV combination in June. They are travelling just before the service runs direct from London to Avignon - so a change is required in either Lille or Paris.
Our current thinking is to transfer in Lille (it seems easier to do the change of trains).
So, the dilemma:
1) Eurostar is on sale now (6 months in advance) and has some reasonably good fares (~ 34 pound each) to Lille.
2) The TGV from Lille to Avignon is not on sale for about a month.
Is it best to wait a month and buy it all as one ticket (as I believe you can be ticketed all the way through), or is it best to just buy the Eurostar earlier - while it's cheaper - as the price of it will go up, and therefore a combined ticket will end up more expensive?
I assume that there are sufficient trains from Lille to Avignon - such that if we pick a time (e.g. arriving at Lille at 11.30am), there won't be an arduous long wait for a TGV.
Any information appreciated, as always!
Also, as an aside - Paris remains an option - but as mentioned, I think it would be easier to transit via Lille.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Oh Italy, What to wear!
- 2 Need help with packing for a trip to Rome, Cinque Terre and Switzerland
- 3 Cochem or Beilstein
- 4 Angels and Demons
- 5 Do Franprix or Monoprix stores offer delivery services?
- 6 Venice water buses
- 7 Brugges to Bayeux to Versailles
- 8 Last Supper Tickets Milan
- 9 Modifying car rental for new destination
- 10 Help with Itinerary (specific ?s around Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Naples)
- 11 Stratford-upon-avon in England
- 12 Railpass VS Point-to-Point
- 13 Anyone done the hoho bus tours in Malta?
- 14 Help in Planning Train Schedule Milan/Florence/Rome/Milan
- 15 TR: Solo in DUBLIN for BLOOMSDAY, an Irish literary odyssey
- 16 Our Paris plans
- 17 Barcelona Itinerary
- 18 town between Alba and Rapallo?
- 19 cable cars at Wank Mountain
- 20 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 21 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 22 Rail Itinerary around Northern/Central Italy
- 23 7 Days, 7 Counties, 3 Generations Southwest Sampler
- 24 B&Bs/hotels near Kinsale?
- 25 Scandinavian and Baltic Adventure - our trip report