We are going back to London this year, and will naturally bring our Oyster cards. In the past, we have loaded 7-day travelcards onto them (because we usually stay about a week). However, this time, we will only be there 4 days.
We use both bus and tube, so we are trying to decide whether to still buy the travelcard (27.60 GBP or 6.90/day) or just load money onto the Oyster. I need some clarification about "Daily Price Cap" on the Oyster.
(1) Does that mean, no matter how many rides on a given day, they won't deduct more than that cap?
(2) There appear to be 3 different caps: tube peak (8.00), tube off-peak (6.60) and bus/tram (4.00). How does that work if you use buses and tube on the same day?
For instance, what would the deduction be if we did (in a single day, all zone 1, off-peak):
3 tubes = 5.70 (the daily cap is 6.60)
3 buses = 3.90 (the daily cap is 4.00)
Would the duduction be the total of 9.60, or would it be the 6.60 off-peak tube cap (the larger of the two caps)?
In other words, are the limits individually tallied, or is everything added up and they deduct the largest limit?
I hope I am not complicating this for everyone more than necessary -- maybe I should just get the 7-day travelcard and forget the math.
London - Oyster Card Daily Caps
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 flights from San Francisco to Germany
- 2 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 3 4-6 weeks
- 4 Help with Tuscany for a week late May/early June
- 5 Help With Vienna
- 6 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 7 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 8 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall
- 9 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 10 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 11 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 12 Barcelona and/or ??? with another family
- 13 Eiffel tower tickets
- 14 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 15 Venice Banning Fodors
- 16 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 17 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 18 Difference in price between Lufthansa and United
- 19 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 20 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 21 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 22 France, Italy and Greec
- 23 How to pay tolls in Portugal when there is no toll booth
- 24 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 25 Why go further, Manchester Christmas Markets back soon.