Just a quick recap of my time in London during the Open House weekend in September. Such a great time of year to be in London.
RE: THE STRAND PALACE HOTEL
First, a big thank you to latedaytraveler for mentioning this hotel. WOW--amazing location. The Strand Palace Hotel was such a perfect, super-cheap and incredibly convenient hotel. I booked my room about 10 months out (as soon as I learned the date of the Open House Weekend) and got a fantastic rate. The room was very clean and comfortable. However, next time, I'll ask for a room on a higher floor as the street noise was, at times, disruptive. On Friday night, I saw Mark Ryland and Saturday, Eddie Redmayne, just walking down the sidewalk. (I couldn't have asked for 2 better celeb-sightings. Maybe Emma Thompson. Maybe Colin Firth. Add in Benedict Cumberbatch and there's my top 5.)
RE: OPEN HOUSE LONDON (Sat-Sun)
So I was far less ambitious than my first Open House experience in 2013. (I saw loads that weekend...if you click my name, you can see how many places I was able to see.) This year, I visited the Royal Overseas League, the Linnean Society, the Reform Club, the Royal Geographical Society and Home House. I have many pics on my blog and on my pinterest boards (accessible via my website), if anyone's interested.
RE: GTG with FlannerUK and Patrick London at The Salisbury in Covent Garden
Wonderful to finally meet the wry-witted Flanner and reconnect with lovely Patrick, and a theater friend of mine from Chicago. GTGs are wonderful to glean a little how the English live, and I had a wonderful time. Though I don't think I'll have pear cider again. It was oddly potent and made me sweat.
RE: LONDON WALKS - Dickens Victorian London
Loved this tour wandering the streets of Southwark. Sue was our guide and so full of fantastic information. A perk of this tour is that you end up very near the wonderful Borough Market for eats and, if inclined, you can get a half-price admission to the Old Operating Theatre Museum and Herb Garret.
RE: London Chinatown -- LIDO Restaurant
Okay. I'm really into dim sum lately, so I ordered a bowl of congee and steamed bao (mixed mushroom-filled steamed dumplings). Was a perfect meal on a cold, damp day. Incredibly delicious.
RE: Moreton in Marsh, the Secret Cottage Tour, the Spice Room
The Cotswolds were the highlight of my trip. I so love that countryside. This time, I chose to stay at the lovely Bell Inn in Moreton-in-Marsh. Had a huge, gorgeous room, and the proprietors were absolutely fantastic. I understand the Inn has been recently refurbished so I'd look only at the more recent tripadvisor comments from June on. Moreton-in-March was great starting point for a circular walk to Batsford Arboretum and Sezincote, and I had the BEST meal in my entire time in England at The Spice Room. (I had Chingri Ruposhi, which was king prawns in a tomato-based sauce with green peppers, and warm, buttery naan bread. I inhaled my meal.)
Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate to allow me a hike one day, so I booked a last minute slot in the Secret Cottage Tour. Such a great decision. Was wonderful to be carted about with a group of lovely tourists from all over the world, to the prettiest Cotswolds villages that are a bit inaccessible by public transportation. The best part of the tour are the three returns to the thatched roof cottage owned by the proprietor for tea and food. Actually, I blogged about that as well if you wish to see some pics. Highly recommend. And you are fed amazingly well all day long.
Another wonderful trip. Can't wait to return!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 2 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 3 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 4 9 Days in Spain
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 8 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 Driving through Paris
- 13 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 14 May Day 2018 in Slovenia
- 15 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 16 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 19 Road trip with our dog
- 20 Frankfurt to UK
- 21 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 22 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 23 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 24 Great Value Vacations - NOT
- 25 Electrical Power Conversion
London Open House Weekend and Moreton in Marsh