Looking for some guidance on some neighborhoods that might be of interest to me.
Is there a neighborhood of London that might be comparable to, say, my hometown's (Chicago) Old Town or (New York's) Brooklyn Heights?
Meaning, upper middle class. Independent bakeries/cafes and restaurants and shops. I'm too old for a "hipster" scene. Clean, wide sidewalks. Few panhandlers. A place where thirty-forty somethings live, who are employed and have things to do.
I have this fantasy of finding a nice restaurant with a view of a lively street or park where Londoners live.
Is Hampstead such a place? And I recall wandering a short strip a little southwest of Notting Hill (Holland Park?) that felt quiet, somewhat "posh." What about Spitalfields? Or Hackney? (Though I confess, I'm only lured there by the possibility of spying Michael Fassbender. Such is the dream of all American spinsters.) What of Richmond (saw a bit of this on my way to Chiswick and Kew last year, and it seemed to have its charms).
Any ideas? And if yes, any suggestions for restaurants? Would be keen on Indian (for the curry) or Japanese (as there's no respectable ramen joints in Chicago.)
Thanks to all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 2 Chania
- 3 Now to Madrid
- 4 Edinbrugh
- 5 Berlin to ?
- 6 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 7 Hotels in Turin
- 8 Help on ancient history route
- 9 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 10 Studying art in English in venice
- 11 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 12 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 13 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 14 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list
- 15 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 16 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 17 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 18 3 days solo in London
- 19 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 20 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 21 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 22 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 23 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 24 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 25 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?