Looking for some guidance on some neighborhoods that might be of interest to me.
Is there a neighborhood of London that might be comparable to, say, my hometown's (Chicago) Old Town or (New York's) Brooklyn Heights?
Meaning, upper middle class. Independent bakeries/cafes and restaurants and shops. I'm too old for a "hipster" scene. Clean, wide sidewalks. Few panhandlers. A place where thirty-forty somethings live, who are employed and have things to do.
I have this fantasy of finding a nice restaurant with a view of a lively street or park where Londoners live.
Is Hampstead such a place? And I recall wandering a short strip a little southwest of Notting Hill (Holland Park?) that felt quiet, somewhat "posh." What about Spitalfields? Or Hackney? (Though I confess, I'm only lured there by the possibility of spying Michael Fassbender. Such is the dream of all American spinsters.) What of Richmond (saw a bit of this on my way to Chiswick and Kew last year, and it seemed to have its charms).
Any ideas? And if yes, any suggestions for restaurants? Would be keen on Indian (for the curry) or Japanese (as there's no respectable ramen joints in Chicago.)
Thanks to all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 2 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 3 No Periods in British Written English!
- 4 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 5 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 6 First time in Bulgaria
- 7 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 8 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 9 Alps Drive
- 10 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 11 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 12 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 13 St Denis Cathedral
- 14 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 15 Paris cooking classes
- 16 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 17 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 18 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 19 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 20 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 21 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 22 Praiano
- 23 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 24 Help please
- 25 Funny One Michelin * Mix-Up in France!