we have been to London in the past and prefer to stay within farily easy walking distance of at least some of the theatres. The whole National complex we realize is "across the river" and that's OK
In the most recent past we have either rented a flat in Covent Garden (with mixed results) or stayed in the Covent Garden Hotel (CGH) which we like. The CGH is not cheap and they rarely seem to have any sort of breakfast-included rate (for the prices they charge you'd think they would, but no; and no, we don't mind going elsewhere for breakfast if it seems worthwhile).
We are probably gonna do the London (and Scotland) thing next year so I'm starting to contemplate a possible alternative hotel. I've read the TripAdvisor reviews (with the usual degree of objectivity required) and of course have heard about the small rooms, the dated furnishings, the "boring bar" as well as the accolades from those who have decided a place is worth it because, to quote one, "Well, it IS the Savoy after all."
We are not against taxis; we are not against The Tube; we are not against being somwhere there are tourists.
Perhaps this whole thing will end up being academic or rhetorical but if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts then I'm all ears and thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 YAHOO 1:888:260:2909 password reset CONTACT ☎ YAHOO TEC*h 24*7
- 2 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 3 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 4 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 5 Long weekend in Albania
- 6 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 7 car rental
- 8 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 9 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 10 Itinerary input for trip to Spain and France
- 11 Itinerary for European trip with 18 year old son
- 12 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 13 Northern Italy in 2 Weeks?
- 14 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 15 Munich and....???
- 16 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 17 Portugal: 70th birthday trip
- 18 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 19 Another theft warning: coastal trains, between Genoa & Tuscany
- 20 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 21 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 22 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 23 Northern Ireland ideas
- 24 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 25 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
London Hotel Walking Distance to Theatres-Suggestions Appreciated