So here we go again.........
We decided to take the kids (24 & 25) & their partners to Europe for Christmas. A few months ago we secured a great deal through an Australian website for 5 nights in Zillertal (near Mayrhofen) Austria. http://gutshof.cc/ so with this booked we started planning. Dh & I wanted to use points for our flights, so were very flexible where we flew into. The 'kids' were a little more selective due to work commitments. Dh & I managed to get great flights into London and out of Amsterdam. I know it sounds a bit 'round about' but we've travelled to Europe several times and have the time to do this.
So with the flights now all booked we are really getting stuck into the planning. We are all flying into London, the kids will have 6 days before meeting us in Munich for the drive to the resort. Dh & I will have 4 nights just, we arrive 7am, so will book the hotel from the previous night, we've arrived at this time previously and waiting for a room is horrid.
We were both really keen to spend a few days in London, we love it. And it will be nice to see it at Christmas time. (we have been in the winter before, so we do know how dark and cold it will be ) I'm going to bid on priceline.co.uk for a room, I'm thinking near St Pancras as we are going to catch the train to Munich, just for something a bit different and it’s so much nicer than flying. We've decided to stop off in Paris for one night, purely to have a look at this beautiful city in all its Christmas glory. Again, we have been to Paris a few times, so really it will be a walk and dinner somewhere nice.
Can anyone suggest a reasonable 3* hotel near Gare du Nord (arrival) & Gare de l'Est (departure), it seems they are very close which is convenient? The Holiday Inn looks good for $138aud and close. And any special place to take a winters evening walk to see Paris at its Christmas best?
We will then take the train to Munich and have two nights to explore the Christmas Markets and meet up with the kids and head to Zillertal for Christmas. Then it’s off to Madrid for dh & I for a 2.5 week driving adventure.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 2 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 3 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 4 Cornwall UK
- 5 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 6 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 7 Hydra, Greece
- 8 travel around Spain
- 9 credit and debit cards
- 10 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 11 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 12 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 13 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 14 Charming areas to explore in London
- 15 8 Hours in Rome
- 16 I may be wrong....
- 17 Golf Partner in Istanbul
- 18 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 19 Cash machines ATM
- 20 Train up the Jungfrau
- 21 Morgan Hotel London for solo female
- 22 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 23 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 24 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 25 Late april early may or october for paris and italy?
London 4nights (just) Paris 1 (theres a reason) Munich 2, Austria 5 Xmas.
So here we go again.........