So here we go again.........
We decided to take the kids (24 & 25) & their partners to Europe for Christmas. A few months ago we secured a great deal through an Australian website for 5 nights in Zillertal (near Mayrhofen) Austria. http://gutshof.cc/ so with this booked we started planning. Dh & I wanted to use points for our flights, so were very flexible where we flew into. The 'kids' were a little more selective due to work commitments. Dh & I managed to get great flights into London and out of Amsterdam. I know it sounds a bit 'round about' but we've travelled to Europe several times and have the time to do this.
So with the flights now all booked we are really getting stuck into the planning. We are all flying into London, the kids will have 6 days before meeting us in Munich for the drive to the resort. Dh & I will have 4 nights just, we arrive 7am, so will book the hotel from the previous night, we've arrived at this time previously and waiting for a room is horrid.
We were both really keen to spend a few days in London, we love it. And it will be nice to see it at Christmas time. (we have been in the winter before, so we do know how dark and cold it will be ) I'm going to bid on priceline.co.uk for a room, I'm thinking near St Pancras as we are going to catch the train to Munich, just for something a bit different and it’s so much nicer than flying. We've decided to stop off in Paris for one night, purely to have a look at this beautiful city in all its Christmas glory. Again, we have been to Paris a few times, so really it will be a walk and dinner somewhere nice.
Can anyone suggest a reasonable 3* hotel near Gare du Nord (arrival) & Gare de l'Est (departure), it seems they are very close which is convenient? The Holiday Inn looks good for $138aud and close. And any special place to take a winters evening walk to see Paris at its Christmas best?
We will then take the train to Munich and have two nights to explore the Christmas Markets and meet up with the kids and head to Zillertal for Christmas. Then it’s off to Madrid for dh & I for a 2.5 week driving adventure.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cotswolds cottage ideas
- 2 Flat in London
- 3 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 4 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 5 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 6 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 7 Paris Navigo weekly Pass
- 8 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 9 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 10 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 11 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 12 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 13 One night in Rome
- 14 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 15 Trip to Rome
- 16 Places to cover in Switzerland in 8-9 days & then 5-6 days in Austria
- 17 European Travel & Trivia Quiz #162
- 18 Itinerary Paris to Dordogne +/- Loire??
- 19 16 Days in Scotland in May with Our Two Boys
- 20 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 21 Do you travel with linen clothes?
- 22 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 23 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 24 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 25 Provence best farmstays!!??
London 4nights (just) Paris 1 (theres a reason) Munich 2, Austria 5 Xmas.
So here we go again.........