My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe beginning the middle of March and ending mid-April. We'll be landing in Lisbon, Portugal and then flying out of Rome, Italy. I know March/April can be quite cool still, so we're hoping to make the best of the weather by starting in the south (ish) of Portugal where the temperature will hopefully be mild and finishing in Italy where we hope it will have warmed up a bit by April. We are trying to travel through four countries in a month, but we don't want a crazy fast-paced trip or a strict schedule. This is our belated honeymoon trip, so while we want to do and see as much as possible, a little romance and a few lazy days are also important.
We'd love some thoughts on the best way to travel from the French Riviera to Rome. So far we are planning on spending few days in Lisbon and the surrounding area, then travelling to Madrid followed by Barcelona. This part of the plan is pretty well set, but what would be good itinerary for the rest of the way? We'd love to see the beautiful coasts of France and Italy, but are also interested in visiting Corsica and Sardinia. Given our travel time and budget, I don't think we can do both.
So, here are a couple very rough itineraries we're considering:
A) From Barcelona, head to Marseille then to Cannes or Nice. Spend some time exploring Cinque Terre and make our way down to Rome.
B) From Barcelona, head Marseille and/or Nice and from there take a ferry over to Sardinia or Corsica (hopefully we'd have time to do both islands) and then ferry back to Rome to spend our last couple of days there.
We are not totally married to visiting Marseille, either -- if there are other places in that area that are more worth a visit, I would love to hear about them (Aix-en-Provence, Toulon?). Keep in mind we will be traveling this area in late March to early April, so we're open to adapting our plans to best suit the weather
Thanks for your help!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A Month stay in Southern France
- 2 http://healthytipweb.com/illum-face-cream/
- 3 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 4 vienna
- 5 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 6 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 7 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 8 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 9 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 10 Ireland travel passport question
- 11 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 12 Switzerland in November?
- 13 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 14 Oxford England Accommodations
- 15 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 16 Croatia transportation question.
- 17 Places of interest
- 18 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 19 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 20 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 21 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 22 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 23 getting to CDG
- 24 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 25 Ireland hotel questions