I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 X-ray machines at train stations in Europe?
- 2 Global Travel Warning...
- 3 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 4 Do i need a Swiss Half-fare travelcard?
- 5 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 6 Morning in paris
- 7 Oct vs Nov for Greece
- 8 Advices about our itiniary
- 9 Balkans Itinerary
- 10 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 11 Dynamic Currency Conversion is Alive & Well in Paris
- 12 Italy AND Switzerland in 8 days
- 13 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 14 Return to Rome Pre Cruise Trip Report October 2016
- 15 Why Not Helsinki?
- 16 Inverness Northern Lights?
- 17 Dublin Ireland Hotel Advice for early June
- 18 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 19 Places to visit staying in Como
- 20 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 21 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 22 Mona Lisait Returns
- 23 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 24 Churches of the East Riding of Yorkshire
- 25 Paris Under Seige...