I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 2 Apartment Montreux area
- 3 Uber vs. TfL
- 4 Europe First Timers
- 5 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 6 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 7 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 8 Trip Report: Amsterdam and Antwerp, May-June 2014
- 9 base in brussels
- 10 Seeking reasonable itinerary for 16 days
- 11 Rome or Venice first
- 12 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 13 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 14 Berlin
- 15 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 16 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 17 One free day in Barcelona
- 18 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 19 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 20 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 21 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 22 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 23 Lille Braderie 2017
- 24 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 25 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland