I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A Vote for Malta: Most Rude.
- 2 3 days to spend in europe
- 3 Spanish leather -- women's leather vest
- 4 Local markets in Italy
- 5 Tours For Young Professionals Other Than Contiki
- 6 Europe 27 days trip, HELP!
- 7 http://www.trypromusclefit.com/exoslim-garcinia-cambogia/
- 8 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 9 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 10 Italy, transport from Assiso to Cita di castello
- 11 Guides - Matera
- 12 Celebrity Reflection Greek Island Cruise
- 13 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 14 Two weeks in Portugal in October
- 15 Europe Sim card help
- 16 England and Wales by public transport
- 17 Buying flowers in London?
- 18 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 19 Amsterdam for 5 days - HELP
- 20 Vienna →Melk → Durnstein → Krems: details, details…
- 21 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 22 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 23 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 24 What am I missing: Amsterdam
- 25 Dordogne and Loire Valley