I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Less traveled Cinque Terre
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which swiss alps to visit? First time to Switzerland
- 2 Greek Itinerary advice needed, please.
- 3 Mama Mia Italy!
- 4 Lisbon, Porto and Southern Galicia Costal region
- 5 Train from Le Havre to Paris
- 6 Oviedo, Aviles or Gijon
- 7 travel to western Europe from India
- 8 Trying to find food items from Rome
- 9 Milestone Birthday Trip-Where Would You Go?
- 10 Picos de Europa - Need advice please
- 11 Scotland on a farm by horse?
- 12 Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, Paris
- 13 Help with Central/ Eastern Europe
- 14 Germany -- with Reformation emphasis
- 15 Cordoba-Granada itinerary
- 16 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 17 Late night train from Prague
- 18 Matera and Puglia by public transportation: Bus, train, driver
- 19 4 Days in Paris: Sample Itinerary for First Trip There
- 20 I'm in a funk
- 21 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 22 We will be stranded in Iceland for 17 hours!
- 23 Lake Como in October- when does season change
- 24 Valencia and Baleric Islands Itinerary suggestions for May travel
- 25 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!