I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need help deciphering benefits of Swiss train pass vs German 25% off...
- 2 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 3 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 4 Proposed electronics ban and questions about my Kindle
- 5 3 nights in Madrid
- 6 Help with Ireland Trip
- 7 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 8 Hotels in Positano, Capri, & Naples
- 9 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 10 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 11 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 12 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 13 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 14 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 15 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 16 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 17 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 18 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 19 Iceland trip report!
- 20 Swimming in Lake Bled?
- 21 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 22 Bernese Oberland
- 23 Itinerary Advice - Dublin to Shannon
- 24 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 25 Couscous