I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Less traveled Cinque Terre
- 1 Albania for Beginners
- 2 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 3 Our 'trip of a lifetime'in Europe - trip report
- 4 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 5 Chambermaid tipping
- 6 south eastern europe by train and walking
- 7 London for Christmas
- 8 London Theater/re: "Pure Nonsense"? or what?
- 9 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 10 10 Summer days in Spain: Barcelona alone or Madrid too?
- 11 Family European winter holiday
- 12 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 13 TROMSO - 70 years old
- 14 Gate 1 9 day Enchanted Italy
- 15 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???
- 16 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 17 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 18 7 days in Italy over Christmas - transportation and itinerary suggestion?
- 19 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 20 17 Days Route from Amsterdam to Zurich
- 21 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 22 Istanbul hotels
- 23 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 24 2 Week European Itinerary
- 25 2 wk Europe Trip Advice