I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Less traveled Cinque Terre
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need to visit a hospital in Athens
- 2 Tours For Young Professionals Other Than Contiki
- 3 Help with Barcelona Plans Please!
- 4 Last day in Italy with kids, Bologna or Venice?
- 5 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 6 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 7 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 8 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 9 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 10 Berlin/Prague Itinerary Too Much, Too Little?
- 11 Hotel in Venice
- 12 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 13 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 14 Bordeaux, Burgundy & Paris recommendations
- 15 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 16 Day trip from London to Paris
- 17 iDTGV Sales Open Today for Travel through September 11, 2014
- 18 Barcelona to Girona: Rent a Car or just take the train?
- 19 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 20 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 21 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 22 Dare I ask a Transportation Question?
- 23 A Winter Wander – Engadine and Berner Oberland
- 24 Calling Jamikins
- 25 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?