I will be in Camogli from May 18-24, and am interested in some hiking. I have already posted a question about hikes around Camogli, but am also interested in your views on hiking possibilities in and around Cinque Terre.
I will probably end up hiking at least part of the coastal path linking the five towns (maybe the Corniglia - Vernazza segment?), but given the likelihood that the trails will be packed like a sardine can, I am also considering alternative ways of enjoying this beautiful region.
From the reading I've done, there seem to be at least 2 options for hikes to than than within CT: 1) Portovenere to Riomaggiore, 2) Levanto to Monterosso. Option 1 is less accessible from Camogli (I won't have a car), I wonder if it's even doable in one day? Getting to PV would probably entail taking a train to La Spezia then either a bus or a ferry, or possibly a ferry all the way from Camogli. I like the idea of seeing the five towns from the water on the way to PV, then seeing them from above on the hike from PV.
Within CT, some books recommend the high trail (Sentiero Rosso) between the towns as a less traveled alternative to the coastal trail. Also (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe the high path does not require the purchase of a CT card. I imagine getting to it from any of the towns would involve quite a steep initial climb. Perhaps if I started in Levanto (option 2 above), I could just continue on the high path to any of the towns (for example, descending in Vernazza rather than Monterosso).
Anyway, I would appreciate your input on these ideas.
Less traveled Cinque Terre
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bus Tours in Scotland???
- 2 Cheapest, easiest way to get from Ljubljana to Zurich?
- 3 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 4 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 5 Restaurants in Spain
- 6 big family in Ireland
- 7 UK for 10 days with 9 and 13 year old
- 8 What to wear
- 9 Touring Dover Castle
- 10 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 11 Ireland itinerary
- 12 Barcelona and Italy itinerary...hotels all set, need help w some details
- 13 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 14 Day trips from Varenna, Lake Como
- 15 Buses in Amalfi coast town areas
- 16 Cell phones in Ireland
- 17 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 18 7 Nights in Paris
- 19 Santorini transportation
- 20 Frecciabianca Seat Selection, please help.
- 21 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 22 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 23 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 24 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 25 Carry on luggage only with a family travelling to Europe?