Hi Swiss experts!
We are leaving on Friday morning for 4 nights in Wengen followed by 4 nights in Vevey. General itinerary for our family of me, DH, DD (5y), DS (3.5y) and Grandma:
Friday - July 26 - travel from london to Wengen (staying at Hotel Schonegg)
Sat - Mannlichen/KS/Grindelwald loop - get an early start and take lift to Mannlichen - take the easy hike from Mannlichen to KS. From KS, take train to Grindelwald and then cable car from Grindelwald back to Mannlichen/Wengen. Assuming will stop places along way for breaks and sightseeing/Lunch, etc. Does this make sense? DH wants to see Grindelwald valley as we didn't visit on previous trip.
Sun - Gimmelwald/Murren/Allmendhubel loop - train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen, bus to Stechelberg, lift to Gimmelwald, lift to Murren, funicular to Allmendhubel - lunch /playground visit, take Childrens Adventure Trail back down to Murren and descend via Grutschalp to Lauterbrunnen to return to Wengen. Would like to walk from Murren to Grutschalp but think that will put my 3 year old over the edge! Any experience with Childrens adventure Trail vs walk from Murren to Grutschalp?
Mon - Jungfrau in am weather permitting - relax in Wengen in afternoon.
Tues - travel from Wengen to Vevey via Goldenpass - possibly boat ride on Lake Thun before train.
Wed - DH Birthday! Visit Chateau de Chillon first thing in am and then have rest of day to do whatever DH wants - perhaps explore Montreux /Vevey.
Thurs - Aug 1 - Swiss National Day! Go to Le Bouveret first thing in am (maybe via train) for Swiss Vapeur Parc (mini steam train park) for our train obsessed children then lunch by lake and take boat back to Vevey. Firework viewing from Vevey?
Friday - Aug 2 - Open - perhaps train to Gruyere/Broc
Sat Aug 3- back to London (hopefully have time to stop at Vevey market before we have to leave for Geneva airport).
Other questions -
1- Any experience with Swiss National Day in Vevey including whether there are fireworks that we could see from our hotel ? We are staying at Hôtel des Trois Couronnes and are booked in a lakeview room. I can't find too much information on specifics about Swiss national day activities in Vevey or Montreux.
2 - Any experience/tips on boat cruises from Vevey/Montreux. Doesn't appear on the CGN website like there are a ton of options between Vevey and Le Bouveret so I guess we would need to carefully plan our day based on boat time.
3 - For Friday, I am struggling to think that my 3 and 5 yr will have attention span for the full chocolate tour but may still like the train ride up to Gruyere unless anyone has better idea?
Thanks for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tours through Spain and Portugal
- 2 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 3 Charming areas to explore in London
- 4 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 5 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 6 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 7 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 8 I may be wrong....
- 9 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 10 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 11 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 12 Cornwall UK
- 13 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 14 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 15 Hydra, Greece
- 16 travel around Spain
- 17 credit and debit cards
- 18 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 19 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 20 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 21 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 22 8 Hours in Rome
- 23 Golf Partner in Istanbul
- 24 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 25 Cash machines ATM
Leaving in 2 days for Wengen and Vevey - last minute questions!
Hi Swiss experts!