I will be in Cannes end of June. Having been there before and having done most of the fortified villages in and around the coast, I thought I'd go for the lavender fields this year. But I dont have a car & hence will have to rely on public buses/ train.
From my research, this is what I found:
From the Cote d'Azur (Nice-Cannes area), the nearest lavender fields are at the Pays de Valensole. The drive up to Castellane is about 1h30. From Castellane, it's 45 km west across the Gorges de Verdon to Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, at the northern end of the Lac de Sainte Croix. This takes about an hour with the summer traffic, but you should allow some time to stop and enjoy the view as well. From Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, the road west climbs up to the Valensole plateau and directly into the lavender fields. The total journey (one-way) would be about 2-1/2 hours, excluding stopping to look around.
Does anyone know if any of this can be done by public transport?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 2 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 3 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 4 Car rental leaving Rome
- 5 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 6 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 7 Critique my Budapest itinerary please!
- 8 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 9 Trip Report - Croatia, Sept 22 -Oct 12 (Slovenia, Bosnia..)
- 10 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 11 Normandy and England in November Trip Planning
- 12 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 13 A Walk in Tuscany, New Places to Discover, & A Life Time of memories
- 14 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 15 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 16 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 17 Car Rental in Italy
- 18 Rue des Rosiers
- 19 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 20 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 21 First Trip to Europe!
- 22 Paris Under Seige...
- 23 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 24 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 25 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?