I will be in Cannes end of June. Having been there before and having done most of the fortified villages in and around the coast, I thought I'd go for the lavender fields this year. But I dont have a car & hence will have to rely on public buses/ train.
From my research, this is what I found:
From the Cote d'Azur (Nice-Cannes area), the nearest lavender fields are at the Pays de Valensole. The drive up to Castellane is about 1h30. From Castellane, it's 45 km west across the Gorges de Verdon to Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, at the northern end of the Lac de Sainte Croix. This takes about an hour with the summer traffic, but you should allow some time to stop and enjoy the view as well. From Moustiers-Sainte-Marie, the road west climbs up to the Valensole plateau and directly into the lavender fields. The total journey (one-way) would be about 2-1/2 hours, excluding stopping to look around.
Does anyone know if any of this can be done by public transport?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 2 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 3 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 4 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 5 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 6 Things to do in Brussels
- 7 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 8 Madrid airport question
- 9 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 10 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 11 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 14 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 15 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 16 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 17 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 18 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 19 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 20 38 Days in Paris
- 21 Naxos car rental
- 22 Greek Islands (small)
- 23 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 24 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 25 Short Trip in July