I'm shifting jobs within the same company and by God's grace, managed to get a break before joining the new division, specifically for fulfilling my dream of traveling to Europe. If all goes well, I'd apply for the Schengen visa by tomorrow and fly out on the 12th July to Frankfurt. I have to report for my new job on 18th Aug and I'm flying back from Rome on 16th Aug. This gives me 34N excluding flights to/fro home country. I know this is all too sudden but I live by CARPE DIEM
I have been daydreaming for years of spending few months in Italy (living like the locals, joining food and language courses, living on farms, etc) but that would have to wait as this is my last 'big trip' for the next 2 years (job issues) and possibly last solo trip for the foreseeable future. I love traveling and recently came back from a 2 week Bali trip.
I have spent few weeks in Spain & visited Paris for 4N couple of years back for which I got great help from veteran travellers on Fodors.
Considering all of the above, I want to travel to the highlights of Western & Central Europe over 5 weeks. Broadly I'm thinking:
Amsterdam - 4N
Berlin - 4N
Prague - 4N
Vienna - 4N
[Salzburg - 2N & Innsbruck - 2N?? Not sure]
Venice - 2N
Florence - 6N (including a day trip in a Tuscan town)
Rome - 6N (including a day trip Orvieto or some other town)
If I include Salzburg & Innsbruck, I still have 4N with me. Looking at flow of travel, any suggestions on how best to utilise 4N? Maybe a recommendation in Germany / Switzerland / Belgium, which is accessible from Frankfurt where I'm landing first, or near any of the places in my itinerary?
I know it's a lot of moving around but I'm young and this is my dream come true kinda trip!
Your kind, freewheeling and honest feedback / ideas are welcome! I'm gonna trouble you more by posting more specific questions as and how I flesh out my itinerary.
Last minute opportunity for a 5 week Europe trip: HELP PLS
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 2 Provence in April, 2014, Part 2
- 3 Four weeks driving thru Italy October 2014
- 4 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 5 Italy..Tuscany Cinque Terre or Amalfi & Calabria Scilily
- 6 10-Hr Auto Tour o Lisbon,Portugal
- 7 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 8 What to do when your intra-Europe flight gets delayed?
- 9 Tour Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland On Line (Video + Stills)
- 10 Car travel within Regensburg during the Christmas season
- 11 Wurzburg/Regensburg Weather in April
- 12 Help with Italy itinerary (18 days: Rome, Umbria, Puglia, Amalfi?)
- 13 Amsterdam, Antwerp, Bruges over New Years
- 14 Best neighborhood for Rome?
- 15 Lucerne Switzerland
- 16 Tipping in the UK
- 17 A taste of Norway: Bergen and the fjords for four day
- 18 at what point should one get health insurance
- 19 Only 2+ hours for Schonbrunn Palace...timing question
- 20 Italy Travelogue, part I (Rome)
- 21 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 22 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 23 Good book about 20th C. European history?
- 24 How many pairs of shoes would you bring for a EuroTrip?
- 25 Which is a better hotel location in Rome