I'm going around desperate for advice on my first family trip to Europe.
I will be flying into Zurich on the 19th Dec and out of Basel on the 28th Dec.
I'm having a dilemma choosing parts between Germany and Austria. It would be great if anyone could share their personal experience or tips for travelling during this period; i.e. making the most out of short daylight, best use of public transport for routes (e.g. bayern card, etc..)
I basically have 8 days with 2 days dedicated to travelling to & from airports in Switzerland.
19th Take the afternoon train from Zurich airport to Munich or should I stay one night in Innsbruck?
20th-24th Salzkammergut region - hoping for winter wonder
Originally I found the salzkammergut region very worthy of spending at least 4 nights in,
are among the places advertised for blue skies, snows and winter trails.
But it seems there are quite a number of people saying that this cannot be expected in December when it will mostly be grey and gloomy unlike later in winter. Is this true? I really want to experience at least one day of the "advertised winter wonderland" where is it more likely?
Bases recommended for these travels that i've heard are Bad Ischl, St wolfgang & Salzburg. Bad Ischl looks convenient due to its public transport links but I'd prefer spending Christmas Eve elsewhere ( maybe hallstat or salzburg), can i expect to get back to my base by public transport? Or would there be a better base for what im looking for.
Train to munich
Explore places like the Neuschwanstein Castle (Again)
Some people have recommended Garmisch as an alternative to the Salzkammergut region for better weather.
Basically im listing out common places where ppl visit in these areas, but there is just too many choices and I really dont know the sequence i should go with!
Would anyone recommend a good route for my situation?
Like to experience winter scenic villages , winter walks (not too long as i have children with me), bavarian villages, castles, some christmas markets. Not too into museums or places such as the Eagle's nest.
Entry point: zurich Airport
Exit: Basel Euroairport
Any help however small would be so appreciated, even a simple route suggestion!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 2 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 3 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 4 We're here!
- 5 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 8 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 9 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 10 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 11 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 12 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
- 13 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 14 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 15 How to best reach the Lofoten Islands from Oslo, Norway? (four day trip)
- 16 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 17 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 18 Train help for Prague
- 19 driving from prague to salzburg
- 20 Swiss Travel Pass
- 21 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 22 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 23 Germany train help!
- 24 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 25 dining on the 25th in Dublin
Last Minute Itinerary Help ! December 2014 10 days Switz-Austria-Germany