As usual, the Fodor's forum was hugely helpful in planning my 'April in Paris!' vacation. I'd like to do my part by chipping in this trip report. I'm aiming to post this live, or maybe with one day of delay, but no more.
I traveled via Thalys train from the Netherlands. I had a business trip there, which gave me the opportunity of returning to Paris after 8 years away! I spent a year of college here and absolutely loved Parisian life; I've been dreaming of coming back ever since. I didn't have much time or money, but I decided to seize the opportunity!
I rented an apartment via AirBnB. Here is the link: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/693367
The apartment is fine but I probably wouldn't book it again. I'd forgotten just how much I dislike the second arrondissement, or at least the parts near Les Halles. It's hectic, commercial, grimy, and cheap. The apartment itself and the building it's in are kind of worn down, with dirty floors and peeling paint. On Saturday night, the street outside was noisy from a nightclub or bar. But then again, it's $100/night for a full apartment in central Paris. And mostly it's clean, quiet aside from Sat night (I think!), well-furnished, and convenient. I have walked almost everywhere.
You won't find much about restaurants in this trip report. I'm a vegetarian and not a foodie, so I'm eating mostly at home and making do with simple fare.
I think that's it for now. I've already got the first day's report, so I'll post it momentarily!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 2 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 3 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 4 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 5 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 6 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 7 Ireland travel passport question
- 8 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 9 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 Italy
- 12 Revised itinerary for italy
- 13 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 14 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 15 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 16 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 17 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 18 Juangfrau / mt
- 19 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 20 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 21 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 22 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 23 Switzerland
- 24 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 25 Questions about Polish sights
Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report