This year, we as a group of about 8 are visiting Russia in Sept.
A few years ago, we did Moscow (3nights) - Suzdal (1nigh)- St. Petersburg (5nights) stay. I felt that it would've been great to spend another night in Suzdal as with 1 night it felt like a very packed and long day (Moscow >Vladimir > Suzdal). I hoped to get 10 nights this year, but as I am going over our budget, it just won't work. So I have to stick to the same 9 nights in Russia.
Now the dilemma is whether I should keep 1 night in Suzdal as last time OR take one night out of St. Peter stay (5 nights meaning 4 full days for St. Peter VS 4 nights meaning 3 full days).
I've never been to Kolomenskoe before. And I cannot tell whether my plan of slower and deeper sightseeing in Vladimir + Suzdal and a visit to Kolomenskoe is worth giving up a full day in St. Peter (I felt that 4 full days there was just right)
Getting around between Moscow - Suzdal is not easy due to the horrendous traffic I keep hearing about, even with a charter bus. Also, the trains are not running as often as I'd like them too. Looking at the idea of spending 2 nights in Suzdal, this is what I have come up with:
Day 1 / depart Moscow @ 9.00h > Visit Sergeev Posad + Lunch > Transfer to Suzdal via Yuriev Poliskiyi with a photo stop > Arrive at Suzdal ca. 18.00h. Check in. Dinner. Rest.
Day 2 / 08.30 depart for Vladimir via a stop at Church of the Intercession on the Nerl > Vladimir sightseeing + Lunch > return to Suzdal for sightseeing > Dinner . Rest.
Day 3 / 08.30 depart for Vladimir to catch an express train at 09.45am for Moscow > Arrive at 11.30 > Lunch > bus to Kolomenskoe to see Church of the Ascension > high-speed train SAPSAN to St. Peter at 17.30h > arrive at 21.30 . Check in / rest.
That would leave us exactly 3 days in St. Peter (plus few hours on day 4 before departure). And I feel that I am shortcutting St. Peter.
I'd appreciate hearing some opinions regarding Kolomenskoe & Suzdal/Vladimir in depth vs more of St. Peter.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 2 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 7 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 8 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 9 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 10 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 11 From the Riviera to Rome: Two Terrific Weeks in Italy
- 12 Planning A trip
- 13 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 14 Driving through Paris
- 15 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 ASTURIAS IN LATE OCTOBER??
- 18 Bruges
- 19 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 20 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 21 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 22 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 23 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 24 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 25 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
Kolomenskoe & Suzdal comibination vs 1 extra day in St. Peter