My husband and I are starting to dip our toes in the water of planning our kids' (they are currently 3.5 and 8.5, and will be 5 & 10 at the time of travel) first trip to Europe. They have previously traveled to the UK at ages 1 & 6, but that was mainly for a funeral. I'm calling this their first trip as it's the first one both will remember.
We are open to anything, but would prefer not to repeat just a UK itinerary. DH & I (as well as my parents who may travel with us) have traveled to Europe before. In fact, we went to Italy earlier this year and received some great advice on these forums!
My kids are good travelers. They are great on airplanes/trains/cars. They are typically pretty adventurous eaters. They both like learning about cultures, languages, and other countries.
For their first trip, I'm thinking no more than 10-12 nights. I think we'd be best to only change locations about 3 times (4 at the absolute most).
Where would you go? How long would you stay? We have thought about and talked about Iceland, Italy, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland.. on and on.
I'd be grateful for any advice you have. Thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy- 18nights, 4 regions!
- 2 AVE Train ticket purchase in Spain
- 3 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 4 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 5 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 6 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 7 Bus to Cadaques ?
- 8 To St. Pancras at stupid-o'clock: how would you do it?
- 9 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 10 5 hours in Genoa or next to Genoa?
- 11 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 12 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 13 Day tour in Kilkenny
- 14 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 15 Trip to London with side trip to Wales/daytrip?
- 16 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 17 Cost of Van from CDG
- 18 Help planning a driving trip in Eastern Europe in July
- 19 German Train travel
- 20 Barcelona on budget
- 21 Catalunya, Cathars and Castles (and vino!)
- 22 Cheese Tours in Italy
- 23 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 24 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 25 Plug ins for London and Paris