My husband and I are starting to dip our toes in the water of planning our kids' (they are currently 3.5 and 8.5, and will be 5 & 10 at the time of travel) first trip to Europe. They have previously traveled to the UK at ages 1 & 6, but that was mainly for a funeral. I'm calling this their first trip as it's the first one both will remember.
We are open to anything, but would prefer not to repeat just a UK itinerary. DH & I (as well as my parents who may travel with us) have traveled to Europe before. In fact, we went to Italy earlier this year and received some great advice on these forums!
My kids are good travelers. They are great on airplanes/trains/cars. They are typically pretty adventurous eaters. They both like learning about cultures, languages, and other countries.
For their first trip, I'm thinking no more than 10-12 nights. I think we'd be best to only change locations about 3 times (4 at the absolute most).
Where would you go? How long would you stay? We have thought about and talked about Iceland, Italy, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland.. on and on.
I'd be grateful for any advice you have. Thanks!!
Kids' First Trip Advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 2 5 days in Europe: Budapest/Berlin or Copenhagen/Talinn or something else?
- 3 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 4 France/Italy Itinerary Check
- 5 Estonia Amber
- 6 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 7 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 8 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 9 Villages to stay in Germany close to trains
- 10 9 nights in Switzerland Help!Please.
- 11 Swiss pass or Individual tickets?
- 12 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 13 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 14 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 15 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 16 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 17 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 18 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013
- 19 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 20 9 days in turkey
- 21 Burg Eltz
- 22 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 23 Germany-berlin marathon
- 24 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 25 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions