My husband and I are starting to dip our toes in the water of planning our kids' (they are currently 3.5 and 8.5, and will be 5 & 10 at the time of travel) first trip to Europe. They have previously traveled to the UK at ages 1 & 6, but that was mainly for a funeral. I'm calling this their first trip as it's the first one both will remember.
We are open to anything, but would prefer not to repeat just a UK itinerary. DH & I (as well as my parents who may travel with us) have traveled to Europe before. In fact, we went to Italy earlier this year and received some great advice on these forums!
My kids are good travelers. They are great on airplanes/trains/cars. They are typically pretty adventurous eaters. They both like learning about cultures, languages, and other countries.
For their first trip, I'm thinking no more than 10-12 nights. I think we'd be best to only change locations about 3 times (4 at the absolute most).
Where would you go? How long would you stay? We have thought about and talked about Iceland, Italy, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland.. on and on.
I'd be grateful for any advice you have. Thanks!!
Kids' First Trip Advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Euro Travel Quiz - Places Reeking of History
- 2 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 3 Which Florence hotel?
- 4 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 5 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 6 Food in the 14th arrondissement
- 7 Gluten Free in Italy
- 8 I finally have my Scotland trip all booked.
- 9 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 10 Ireland's west coast
- 11 Euro Quiz # 43 - Geography
- 12 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts
- 13 Louvre vs. Orsay/Rodin
- 14 Destination Benson; help with 2 options, please
- 15 ISO London Flat w/Washer/Dryer Early May
- 16 Day trip from split to avoid cruise crowds
- 17 Gluten free options in Spain?
- 18 Up coming strikes at Spanish airports 2015
- 19 A week in Wengen hiking the Bernese Oberland
- 20 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 21 Liberation of Auschwitz 70 years ago
- 22 Eating Gluten-Free in France/Paris
- 23 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 24 Un Coup de Foudre - Falling in Love with France in 8 Days
- 25 Dordogne prehistoric sites