My husband and I are starting to dip our toes in the water of planning our kids' (they are currently 3.5 and 8.5, and will be 5 & 10 at the time of travel) first trip to Europe. They have previously traveled to the UK at ages 1 & 6, but that was mainly for a funeral. I'm calling this their first trip as it's the first one both will remember.
We are open to anything, but would prefer not to repeat just a UK itinerary. DH & I (as well as my parents who may travel with us) have traveled to Europe before. In fact, we went to Italy earlier this year and received some great advice on these forums!
My kids are good travelers. They are great on airplanes/trains/cars. They are typically pretty adventurous eaters. They both like learning about cultures, languages, and other countries.
For their first trip, I'm thinking no more than 10-12 nights. I think we'd be best to only change locations about 3 times (4 at the absolute most).
Where would you go? How long would you stay? We have thought about and talked about Iceland, Italy, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland.. on and on.
I'd be grateful for any advice you have. Thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need Paris Flight Advice
- 2 Venice - suggestions for hotels just after Easter - mid-April 2017.
- 3 What type of visa is right for me?
- 4 CDG to the 10th on Friday afternoon for 6
- 5 Best area to stay in Valencia
- 6 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 7 Neighborhood Bistros in Paris
- 8 Bologna, Florence, Venice 5 days
- 9 Madrid - time to allow for train
- 10 Help me decide where to go xmas week
- 11 Two Capitals of Central Europe and an Interlude in Frankfurt
- 12 Need help with train service Bologna, Rimini, Rome
- 13 May or September Andulucia/Munich
- 14 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 15 Pyrenees 10-Day Driving Itinerary
- 16 Paris---baguette question???
- 17 Vienna to Bratislava
- 18 a loss about Paris
- 19 Mallorca: Off the tourist trail
- 20 Advice? 2 weeks in Sicily with our 4-year-old
- 21 Want to meet the locals? Some new ideas
- 22 Chip and Sign credit cards usage in europe
- 23 15 Days in Italy - Venice & Rome
- 24 Want to Meet the Locals? Try Camping
- 25 Has anyone every used a company called Portugal Trails