My husband and I are starting to dip our toes in the water of planning our kids' (they are currently 3.5 and 8.5, and will be 5 & 10 at the time of travel) first trip to Europe. They have previously traveled to the UK at ages 1 & 6, but that was mainly for a funeral. I'm calling this their first trip as it's the first one both will remember.
We are open to anything, but would prefer not to repeat just a UK itinerary. DH & I (as well as my parents who may travel with us) have traveled to Europe before. In fact, we went to Italy earlier this year and received some great advice on these forums!
My kids are good travelers. They are great on airplanes/trains/cars. They are typically pretty adventurous eaters. They both like learning about cultures, languages, and other countries.
For their first trip, I'm thinking no more than 10-12 nights. I think we'd be best to only change locations about 3 times (4 at the absolute most).
Where would you go? How long would you stay? We have thought about and talked about Iceland, Italy, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland.. on and on.
I'd be grateful for any advice you have. Thanks!!
Kids' First Trip Advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 2 Struggling with Ireland itinerary - help finding off the beaten path gems!
- 3 Advice for first family trip to Europe
- 4 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 5 A full week in The Netherlands
- 6 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 7 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 8 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 9 Itinerary help Geneva, Lausanne , Montreux or Vevey
- 10 Berlin, Paris, London: 2 weeks, 3 people
- 11 10 days in England
- 12 December in Munich, Salzburg, Graz, and Budapest
- 13 Suggested itinerary for Istanbul??
- 14 What do you wish you'd known about Iceland before you went?
- 15 Dilemma for Switzerland
- 16 Drawing courses in Paris
- 17 Iceland! Summer 2015 Wanna help with my itinerary??
- 18 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 19 Montreux or Vevey- where to stay
- 20 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 21 Month in Spain in September - Itinerary Feedback please
- 22 Cannes >> Corsica
- 23 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury
- 24 Crete at Christmas-which 3 towns to base ourselves?
- 25 Trip report/blog - 2 weeks in Amsterdam, Belgium, and South Africa