My husband and I are starting to dip our toes in the water of planning our kids' (they are currently 3.5 and 8.5, and will be 5 & 10 at the time of travel) first trip to Europe. They have previously traveled to the UK at ages 1 & 6, but that was mainly for a funeral. I'm calling this their first trip as it's the first one both will remember.
We are open to anything, but would prefer not to repeat just a UK itinerary. DH & I (as well as my parents who may travel with us) have traveled to Europe before. In fact, we went to Italy earlier this year and received some great advice on these forums!
My kids are good travelers. They are great on airplanes/trains/cars. They are typically pretty adventurous eaters. They both like learning about cultures, languages, and other countries.
For their first trip, I'm thinking no more than 10-12 nights. I think we'd be best to only change locations about 3 times (4 at the absolute most).
Where would you go? How long would you stay? We have thought about and talked about Iceland, Italy, Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland.. on and on.
I'd be grateful for any advice you have. Thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Last night in Barcelona - where to stay
- 2 The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers
- 3 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 4 First visit to London
- 5 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 6 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be
- 7 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 8 Hotels in Munich and Bolzano
- 9 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 10 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 11 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 12 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 13 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 14 itinerary recommendation 6 nights Spain (Barcelona/Madrid)
- 15 Naples + Walking Tour
- 16 TIM in FCO - update
- 17 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 18 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 19 Switzerland - Matterhorm and Golden Pass advice
- 20 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 21 Storing bags while traveling using Swiss Rail Pass.
- 22 Venice gondola ride
- 23 Paris and Normandy
- 24 2-3 week Europe itinerary - help!
- 25 Europe in 2 weeks on budget