I'll be flying with my kids, ages 8 and 11, to Europe very soon. In the past our overnight flights to Europe have been at natural bedtimes (leaving East Coast after 8 or so), so my kids have been able to sleep on the flight over without the help of any otc drugs or herbs. However this time we leave Toronto at 4:30 and arrive in Germany at 6:05 the next morning. It's certainly not normal for my kids to go to sleep at 6ish or so, and arriving so early will be a new adventure as well. I know we'll all be a mess the next day and I'm fine with that, but I really want my kids to get some sleep on this flight. I personally use melatonin with no problems, but I know there have been studies saying kids should not use it, but from what I've read that seems to be a directive not to use it long term. I also have that No Jet Lag remedy, but I've never used it. What are your thoughts (based on experience??) about melatonin, No Jet Lag, good ole Benadryl or Dramamine?? Or do we just suck it up and hope for the best??
Also, given the extra early arrival time, should we just head out and get used to the day (which is what I would normally do arriving a little later), or catch an hour or two of sleep upon arrival and then adjust to the new time?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting to Eilean Donan Castle
- 2 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 3 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 4 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 5 Where in Greece
- 6 paris hotel easy commute to Palais de Congres
- 7 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 8 Cap Ferrat, Antibe, Luberon?
- 9 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 10 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 11 Visiting Positano and Amalfi
- 12 Vatican tour
- 13 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 14 Day in Capri
- 15 alcazar question and seville advice
- 16 TSA Precheck
- 17 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 18 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 19 First visit to London
- 20 Paris travel help
- 21 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 22 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 23 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 24 Rome hotel
- 25 Villa in Italy