I'll be flying with my kids, ages 8 and 11, to Europe very soon. In the past our overnight flights to Europe have been at natural bedtimes (leaving East Coast after 8 or so), so my kids have been able to sleep on the flight over without the help of any otc drugs or herbs. However this time we leave Toronto at 4:30 and arrive in Germany at 6:05 the next morning. It's certainly not normal for my kids to go to sleep at 6ish or so, and arriving so early will be a new adventure as well. I know we'll all be a mess the next day and I'm fine with that, but I really want my kids to get some sleep on this flight. I personally use melatonin with no problems, but I know there have been studies saying kids should not use it, but from what I've read that seems to be a directive not to use it long term. I also have that No Jet Lag remedy, but I've never used it. What are your thoughts (based on experience??) about melatonin, No Jet Lag, good ole Benadryl or Dramamine?? Or do we just suck it up and hope for the best??
Also, given the extra early arrival time, should we just head out and get used to the day (which is what I would normally do arriving a little later), or catch an hour or two of sleep upon arrival and then adjust to the new time?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 2 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 3 Guide in Russia
- 4 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 5 Switzerland
- 6 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 7 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 8 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 9 Visiting Zurich
- 10 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 11 Zadar or Sibenik
- 12 Font-de-Gaume - too overweight?
- 13 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 14 Sicily: la foresteria planeta estate or Villa Sicilia Baglio
- 15 Rent a Car?
- 16 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 17 Whistle stop family road trip
- 18 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 19 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 20 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 21 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 22 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 23 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 24 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 25 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)