We just came home from 8 days in Paris. While the city is beautiful, gorgeous monuments, cathedrals, gardens, and museums are fabulous, our trip was sadly interrupted by pick pockets twice. My husband and I were very careful to leave passports, credit cards, driver licenses and large cash amounts in our hidden money belts, and everything was perfectly safe there. But the problem is, I placed my iPhone 5 in my coat pocket for just a second and was distracted with the ticket slot in the metro near the Arc de Triumphe. Obviously, a thief was watching and as soon as I passed through the revolving gate, I felt a hand in my coat pocket and a large man ran away with my iPhone. The second time, my husband had his wallet in his front pants pocket (he does wear loose pants) and he never even knew when the wallet was taken with about a hundred Euros. Even though we loved our hotel, the food, the tours, the cathedrals, museums, we found the people very rude. Often, French people cut in lines, and the restaurant waiters and waitresses are very cold and even rude. Once while standing in line at at the Eiffel Tower, a beautiful young, very pregnant woman rudely told my husband to "Wait and step back!" While she proceed to get 2 tickets to the top of the tower for herself and her husband. I thought, "Wow, this is a baby's mother! what kind of example will she set for her child?" I realize Paris is a very large city, and maybe it is just the large city people everywhere, but we found French people very cold and rude. The streets are very crowded and we never did really feel safe.We were sure glad to get home to Texas. (My husband and I are in our late sixties and probably look older than most tourists, but I wonder if that made us easy targets for pickpockets and people cutting in lines)
Just home from 8 days in Paris--Pickpockets threat--Rude French people
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 2 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 3 Schengen Visa Rules
- 4 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 5 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 6 Southern Spain
- 7 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 8 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 9 Museums in Berlin
- 10 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 11 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 12 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 13 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 14 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt
- 15 5 Hoosiers - help with route through Germany
- 16 5 Observations About Paris
- 17 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 18 Scotland November 2015
- 19 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 20 Amsterdam in the early 1980s
- 21 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 22 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 23 Is my plan ok
- 24 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 25 Reputable Tours