We just came home from 8 days in Paris. While the city is beautiful, gorgeous monuments, cathedrals, gardens, and museums are fabulous, our trip was sadly interrupted by pick pockets twice. My husband and I were very careful to leave passports, credit cards, driver licenses and large cash amounts in our hidden money belts, and everything was perfectly safe there. But the problem is, I placed my iPhone 5 in my coat pocket for just a second and was distracted with the ticket slot in the metro near the Arc de Triumphe. Obviously, a thief was watching and as soon as I passed through the revolving gate, I felt a hand in my coat pocket and a large man ran away with my iPhone. The second time, my husband had his wallet in his front pants pocket (he does wear loose pants) and he never even knew when the wallet was taken with about a hundred Euros. Even though we loved our hotel, the food, the tours, the cathedrals, museums, we found the people very rude. Often, French people cut in lines, and the restaurant waiters and waitresses are very cold and even rude. Once while standing in line at at the Eiffel Tower, a beautiful young, very pregnant woman rudely told my husband to "Wait and step back!" While she proceed to get 2 tickets to the top of the tower for herself and her husband. I thought, "Wow, this is a baby's mother! what kind of example will she set for her child?" I realize Paris is a very large city, and maybe it is just the large city people everywhere, but we found French people very cold and rude. The streets are very crowded and we never did really feel safe.We were sure glad to get home to Texas. (My husband and I are in our late sixties and probably look older than most tourists, but I wonder if that made us easy targets for pickpockets and people cutting in lines)
Just home from 8 days in Paris--Pickpockets threat--Rude French people
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip to Pyrenees
- 2 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 3 Flying open jaw: start in MAD or BCN (Sept. 18th - Oct. 5th).
- 4 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?
- 5 Help with Itinerary - Seville/San Sebastian
- 6 Looking for add on city
- 7 Granada: stay in the Albayzin?
- 8 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 9 Paris and South Of France/Possibly Cinque Terre
- 10 Preparing for our European Family Trip
- 11 Budapest to Bucharest (2 week trip)
- 12 Apartment Madrid location/review
- 13 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 14 What should we tip our tour guide?
- 15 walking guide in Paris
- 16 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 17 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 18 HM Car rental in Croatia...need feedback/advice
- 19 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 20 TR: Solo in LONDON for ten days on unfinished business ...
- 21 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 22 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 23 Wine tours - without a car and on a budget!
- 24 Car rental Questions for Italy
- 25 Traveling to Russia and then onto Germany or Austria...Good idea?