We just came home from 8 days in Paris. While the city is beautiful, gorgeous monuments, cathedrals, gardens, and museums are fabulous, our trip was sadly interrupted by pick pockets twice. My husband and I were very careful to leave passports, credit cards, driver licenses and large cash amounts in our hidden money belts, and everything was perfectly safe there. But the problem is, I placed my iPhone 5 in my coat pocket for just a second and was distracted with the ticket slot in the metro near the Arc de Triumphe. Obviously, a thief was watching and as soon as I passed through the revolving gate, I felt a hand in my coat pocket and a large man ran away with my iPhone. The second time, my husband had his wallet in his front pants pocket (he does wear loose pants) and he never even knew when the wallet was taken with about a hundred Euros. Even though we loved our hotel, the food, the tours, the cathedrals, museums, we found the people very rude. Often, French people cut in lines, and the restaurant waiters and waitresses are very cold and even rude. Once while standing in line at at the Eiffel Tower, a beautiful young, very pregnant woman rudely told my husband to "Wait and step back!" While she proceed to get 2 tickets to the top of the tower for herself and her husband. I thought, "Wow, this is a baby's mother! what kind of example will she set for her child?" I realize Paris is a very large city, and maybe it is just the large city people everywhere, but we found French people very cold and rude. The streets are very crowded and we never did really feel safe.We were sure glad to get home to Texas. (My husband and I are in our late sixties and probably look older than most tourists, but I wonder if that made us easy targets for pickpockets and people cutting in lines)
Just home from 8 days in Paris--Pickpockets threat--Rude French people
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Difference in price between Lufthansa and United
- 2 Need Some Italy Planning Help
- 3 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 4 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 5 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 6 4-6 weeks
- 7 Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar, all or one?
- 8 France, Italy and Greec
- 9 How to pay tolls in Portugal when there is no toll booth
- 10 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 11 Iceland with kids - purchase a 'self-drive' package or DIY?
- 12 Venice Banning Fodors
- 13 flights from San Francisco to Germany
- 14 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 15 Why go further, Manchester Christmas Markets back soon.
- 16 Zurich to Basel transfer
- 17 Eiffel tower tickets
- 18 Greece - 3 week trip - requesting input
- 19 UK & Ireland 2 week travel itinerary (looking for input)
- 20 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 21 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 22 Rome---August and September
- 23 There's no Place Like London: Part 1
- 24 2 week trip - Amsterdam - Berlin - Munich -Prague
- 25 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015