We just came home from 8 days in Paris. While the city is beautiful, gorgeous monuments, cathedrals, gardens, and museums are fabulous, our trip was sadly interrupted by pick pockets twice. My husband and I were very careful to leave passports, credit cards, driver licenses and large cash amounts in our hidden money belts, and everything was perfectly safe there. But the problem is, I placed my iPhone 5 in my coat pocket for just a second and was distracted with the ticket slot in the metro near the Arc de Triumphe. Obviously, a thief was watching and as soon as I passed through the revolving gate, I felt a hand in my coat pocket and a large man ran away with my iPhone. The second time, my husband had his wallet in his front pants pocket (he does wear loose pants) and he never even knew when the wallet was taken with about a hundred Euros. Even though we loved our hotel, the food, the tours, the cathedrals, museums, we found the people very rude. Often, French people cut in lines, and the restaurant waiters and waitresses are very cold and even rude. Once while standing in line at at the Eiffel Tower, a beautiful young, very pregnant woman rudely told my husband to "Wait and step back!" While she proceed to get 2 tickets to the top of the tower for herself and her husband. I thought, "Wow, this is a baby's mother! what kind of example will she set for her child?" I realize Paris is a very large city, and maybe it is just the large city people everywhere, but we found French people very cold and rude. The streets are very crowded and we never did really feel safe.We were sure glad to get home to Texas. (My husband and I are in our late sixties and probably look older than most tourists, but I wonder if that made us easy targets for pickpockets and people cutting in lines)
Just home from 8 days in Paris--Pickpockets threat--Rude French people
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tivoli Gardens - any special place for birthday dinner
- 2 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 3 What to wear
- 4 Printing Paris Bus Routes --Kerouac, others?
- 5 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 6 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 7 Paris November 2014
- 8 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 9 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 10 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 11 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 12 Traveling in France by train
- 13 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 14 Arc de Triumph Question
- 15 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 16 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 17 3 night stopover in Iceland - need suggestions
- 18 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 19 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 20 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 21 Suggestions for Santorini itinerary, need change??
- 22 A Good Base on Mallorca
- 23 Help: Transit through Frankfurt on way to Turkey (from US)
- 24 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 25 Amsterdam Berlin Bus companies BestBusTravel