We just came home from 8 days in Paris. While the city is beautiful, gorgeous monuments, cathedrals, gardens, and museums are fabulous, our trip was sadly interrupted by pick pockets twice. My husband and I were very careful to leave passports, credit cards, driver licenses and large cash amounts in our hidden money belts, and everything was perfectly safe there. But the problem is, I placed my iPhone 5 in my coat pocket for just a second and was distracted with the ticket slot in the metro near the Arc de Triumphe. Obviously, a thief was watching and as soon as I passed through the revolving gate, I felt a hand in my coat pocket and a large man ran away with my iPhone. The second time, my husband had his wallet in his front pants pocket (he does wear loose pants) and he never even knew when the wallet was taken with about a hundred Euros. Even though we loved our hotel, the food, the tours, the cathedrals, museums, we found the people very rude. Often, French people cut in lines, and the restaurant waiters and waitresses are very cold and even rude. Once while standing in line at at the Eiffel Tower, a beautiful young, very pregnant woman rudely told my husband to "Wait and step back!" While she proceed to get 2 tickets to the top of the tower for herself and her husband. I thought, "Wow, this is a baby's mother! what kind of example will she set for her child?" I realize Paris is a very large city, and maybe it is just the large city people everywhere, but we found French people very cold and rude. The streets are very crowded and we never did really feel safe.We were sure glad to get home to Texas. (My husband and I are in our late sixties and probably look older than most tourists, but I wonder if that made us easy targets for pickpockets and people cutting in lines)
Just home from 8 days in Paris--Pickpockets threat--Rude French people
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon in Greece or Italy or Spain?
- 2 First ever trip overseas - itinerary check
- 3 Itinerary Feedback (Spain/Italy in April/May)
- 4 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 5 Need help on best 7 day Istanbul / Cappadocia end of April itinerary
- 6 active activities in Marmaris, Myrina (Lemnos), and Patmos?
- 7 Madrid and London
- 8 Northern Italy itinerary critique - please
- 9 Rome airport--should I arrive more than 2 hours early?
- 10 Tours for Ephesus and Cappadoccia
- 11 Suggestions on how best to spend our time in Lyon
- 12 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 13 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 14 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 15 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 16 Family trip - 11 days/10 nights in Italy
- 17 Rome Fiumicino terminal 2 to terminal 3
- 18 2 weeks in Europe
- 19 Matisse at Tate
- 20 Ireland Southwest
- 21 Irish Inns and B&B Reservations
- 22 Restaurant Recommendations for Lisbon
- 23 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 24 6 nights to spend between salzburg and austria
- 25 Where Would You Add Two Days - Tuscany & CT Itinerary