We just came home from 8 days in Paris. While the city is beautiful, gorgeous monuments, cathedrals, gardens, and museums are fabulous, our trip was sadly interrupted by pick pockets twice. My husband and I were very careful to leave passports, credit cards, driver licenses and large cash amounts in our hidden money belts, and everything was perfectly safe there. But the problem is, I placed my iPhone 5 in my coat pocket for just a second and was distracted with the ticket slot in the metro near the Arc de Triumphe. Obviously, a thief was watching and as soon as I passed through the revolving gate, I felt a hand in my coat pocket and a large man ran away with my iPhone. The second time, my husband had his wallet in his front pants pocket (he does wear loose pants) and he never even knew when the wallet was taken with about a hundred Euros. Even though we loved our hotel, the food, the tours, the cathedrals, museums, we found the people very rude. Often, French people cut in lines, and the restaurant waiters and waitresses are very cold and even rude. Once while standing in line at at the Eiffel Tower, a beautiful young, very pregnant woman rudely told my husband to "Wait and step back!" While she proceed to get 2 tickets to the top of the tower for herself and her husband. I thought, "Wow, this is a baby's mother! what kind of example will she set for her child?" I realize Paris is a very large city, and maybe it is just the large city people everywhere, but we found French people very cold and rude. The streets are very crowded and we never did really feel safe.We were sure glad to get home to Texas. (My husband and I are in our late sixties and probably look older than most tourists, but I wonder if that made us easy targets for pickpockets and people cutting in lines)
Just home from 8 days in Paris--Pickpockets threat--Rude French people
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 2 Vacation Rental in Venice
- 3 Live ( almost) report from Greece!
- 4 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 5 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 6 travel from Malaga to Rhonda Spain
- 7 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 8 Lavido, Ireland? Where is it??
- 9 Belarus closes borders with Ukraine - EBOLA alert!
- 10 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 11 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 12 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 13 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 14 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 15 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 16 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 17 Suggestions needed for our first visit to Athens without speaking Greek
- 18 Fiumicino City Bus Stop Location
- 19 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 20 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 21 Food tours in Rome?
- 22 Rome Food Tour
- 23 Pastry Classes in Paris
- 24 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 25 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15