Happy New Year everyone!
I am planning a trip to Italy with hubby and the kids (ages 15 and 12 - great travellers), from Australia for three weeks. Our options are the June/July school holidays which start at the end of June and which last for three weeks, or the Sept/Oct holidays which start at the end of September but which only last two weeks. We would need to take the kids out of school for a week which I don't really have a problem with for the younger child but I am more reluctant for the older one. Our itinerary is yet to be confirmed but I am thinking three nights in Venice, two nights in Florence, three nights in the Chianti region followed by a week in a villa or agriturismo in the Val D'Orcia region. We would then end in Rome for five nights.
The pros and cons that I see for each are:
- hotter and possibly busier in June/July (but we do live in Brisbane where it was over 40 degrees C today so we are used to the heat)
- longer days in June/July
- cooler and maybe quieter in September but it is another three months to wait!!!
- having to take a senior student out of school in the final term of the year (we run Jan to Dec in Australia)
Given our possible itinerary what are your thoughts on each? I would also be interested in hearing about out of the way places to visit where we can avoid the crowds. We all enjoy just following our noses to see what we can see and won't necessarily be doing the usual tourist stuff. Is getting into the hills of Southern Tuscany a way to avoid crowds?
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 2 Europe itinerary questions
- 3 1 month in Europe
- 4 Paris hotels
- 5 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 6 London Hotels
- 7 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 8 10 days in Paris and......
- 9 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 10 Back from Paris
- 11 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 12 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 13 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 16 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 17 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 18 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 19 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 20 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 21 LIsbon
- 22 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 23 Iceland in 7 days.
- 24 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 25 Luggage Storage
Happy New Year everyone!