My husband and I have finally decided on Iceland (and perhaps Norway, Sweden or Finland with the free stopover) for our vacation this year. We now need some help deciding what time of year to travel to Iceland. We are avid hikers and like to hike on our own, as opposed to with a group or guide.
This year, we can either travel the first week of July, the last week of August or the last week of September. It seems, at least for flights, the prices drop significantly for late September. In addition, since we don't have children yet, we like to avoid the "typical" American travel times like early July and late August when places are usually crowded. However, I'm concerned that late September in Iceland is too late to enjoy the beautiful hiking that makes us want to travel to Iceland! The books and research I've looked at so far seem to just say that June-August is the best time to travel to Iceland, but don't really speak to late September conditions.
I would really appreciate any and all advice you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 2 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 3 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 4 Font-de-Gaume - too overweight?
- 5 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 6 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 7 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 8 National Museum in Krakow; Auschwitz art
- 9 Beauty of Bruges and Brussels
- 10 B&Bs in Ireland
- 11 Zadar or Sibenik
- 12 Best road from Tubingen to Lindau Bodensee
- 13 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 14 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback
- 15 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 16 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 17 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 18 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 19 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 20 Anyone Use the Venezia Unica City Pass?
- 21 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 22 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 23 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 24 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 25 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!