My husband and I have finally decided on Iceland (and perhaps Norway, Sweden or Finland with the free stopover) for our vacation this year. We now need some help deciding what time of year to travel to Iceland. We are avid hikers and like to hike on our own, as opposed to with a group or guide.
This year, we can either travel the first week of July, the last week of August or the last week of September. It seems, at least for flights, the prices drop significantly for late September. In addition, since we don't have children yet, we like to avoid the "typical" American travel times like early July and late August when places are usually crowded. However, I'm concerned that late September in Iceland is too late to enjoy the beautiful hiking that makes us want to travel to Iceland! The books and research I've looked at so far seem to just say that June-August is the best time to travel to Iceland, but don't really speak to late September conditions.
I would really appreciate any and all advice you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Granada in April; add Malaga?
- 2 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 3 London vacation rental agency
- 4 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 5 Borghese Gallery Question
- 6 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 7 Sim Card
- 8 Transport for local Venice travel
- 9 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 10 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 11 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 12 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 13 Sicily help
- 14 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 15 Germany vs Sweden nightlife
- 16 Lunch stop with view of Rio–Antirrio Bridge
- 17 Towns around Lucca
- 18 Cork questions
- 19 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 20 Italy Vacation
- 21 Stu Tower
- 22 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 23 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 24 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 25 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa