My husband and I have finally decided on Iceland (and perhaps Norway, Sweden or Finland with the free stopover) for our vacation this year. We now need some help deciding what time of year to travel to Iceland. We are avid hikers and like to hike on our own, as opposed to with a group or guide.
This year, we can either travel the first week of July, the last week of August or the last week of September. It seems, at least for flights, the prices drop significantly for late September. In addition, since we don't have children yet, we like to avoid the "typical" American travel times like early July and late August when places are usually crowded. However, I'm concerned that late September in Iceland is too late to enjoy the beautiful hiking that makes us want to travel to Iceland! The books and research I've looked at so far seem to just say that June-August is the best time to travel to Iceland, but don't really speak to late September conditions.
I would really appreciate any and all advice you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
July or late September travel
- 1 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 2 Barcelona - 7 Portes Restaurant
- 3 Vatican Guided Tours Questions
- 4 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 5 Suggestions for France Italy
- 6 Foggia Day Trip
- 7 10 days in Poland 7/1-12/13
- 8 15 days in Central Europe
- 9 A few questions about the Amalfi Coast (in May)
- 10 Car hire across borders
- 11 Bank of England Museum
- 12 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 13 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 14 Croatia Question: Korcula or Lastovo?
- 15 Day trip from The Hague to Brussels or Bruges - possible?
- 16 Provence & Cote d'Azur in late September...and the planning begins!
- 17 Safety on a Night Train from Amsterdam to Den Haag?
- 18 See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 19 Which tour company would be best?
- 20 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 21 Berlin Excursion from our ship...
- 22 Musée Marmottan - anything there?
- 23 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 24 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 25 Rail question 1st class and 2nd class