My husband and I have finally decided on Iceland (and perhaps Norway, Sweden or Finland with the free stopover) for our vacation this year. We now need some help deciding what time of year to travel to Iceland. We are avid hikers and like to hike on our own, as opposed to with a group or guide.
This year, we can either travel the first week of July, the last week of August or the last week of September. It seems, at least for flights, the prices drop significantly for late September. In addition, since we don't have children yet, we like to avoid the "typical" American travel times like early July and late August when places are usually crowded. However, I'm concerned that late September in Iceland is too late to enjoy the beautiful hiking that makes us want to travel to Iceland! The books and research I've looked at so far seem to just say that June-August is the best time to travel to Iceland, but don't really speak to late September conditions.
I would really appreciate any and all advice you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
July or late September travel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 day May Road Trip - Best of France
- 2 Gatwick to Stratford Station
- 3 2-week Central/Eastern Europe itinerary questions
- 4 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 5 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 6 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 7 Bologna: Walk via Arcades to San Luca
- 8 Umbria, Marche - where to add extra days
- 9 Returning Oyster card at Kings Cross rail station in London
- 10 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 11 Dublin to Cashel
- 12 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 13 Input wanted on Budapest to Prague July trip
- 14 Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?
- 15 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 16 DB Bahn : Budapest to Prague
- 17 Athens and which islands?
- 18 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 19 Best way to go from Positano to Pompeii then to Rome? Pompeii private tour?
- 20 Opera in Prague : Dvorak's Rusalka or Puccini's Tosca
- 21 Sea side in Italy
- 22 Prague symphony - please help me choose 2 seats
- 23 Exquisite side trip from Cinque Terre?
- 24 Munich Daytrips
- 25 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf