My husband and I have finally decided on Iceland (and perhaps Norway, Sweden or Finland with the free stopover) for our vacation this year. We now need some help deciding what time of year to travel to Iceland. We are avid hikers and like to hike on our own, as opposed to with a group or guide.
This year, we can either travel the first week of July, the last week of August or the last week of September. It seems, at least for flights, the prices drop significantly for late September. In addition, since we don't have children yet, we like to avoid the "typical" American travel times like early July and late August when places are usually crowded. However, I'm concerned that late September in Iceland is too late to enjoy the beautiful hiking that makes us want to travel to Iceland! The books and research I've looked at so far seem to just say that June-August is the best time to travel to Iceland, but don't really speak to late September conditions.
I would really appreciate any and all advice you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
July or late September travel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 2 Day trip on the Rhine
- 3 Hut to hut hiking in Bavarian alps
- 4 Germany-berlin marathon
- 5 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 6 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 7 museum passes in Rome
- 8 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 9 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 10 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 11 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 12 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 13 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 14 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 15 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 16 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 17 Estonia Amber
- 18 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 19 Quick notes from 2 weeks in Turkey
- 20 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 21 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 22 UK for 12 days !
- 23 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 24 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 25 Hungary - Budapest Eger Szentendre photo gallery and tourist attractions