My husband and I have finally decided on Iceland (and perhaps Norway, Sweden or Finland with the free stopover) for our vacation this year. We now need some help deciding what time of year to travel to Iceland. We are avid hikers and like to hike on our own, as opposed to with a group or guide.
This year, we can either travel the first week of July, the last week of August or the last week of September. It seems, at least for flights, the prices drop significantly for late September. In addition, since we don't have children yet, we like to avoid the "typical" American travel times like early July and late August when places are usually crowded. However, I'm concerned that late September in Iceland is too late to enjoy the beautiful hiking that makes us want to travel to Iceland! The books and research I've looked at so far seem to just say that June-August is the best time to travel to Iceland, but don't really speak to late September conditions.
I would really appreciate any and all advice you could provide.
Thank you in advance.
July or late September travel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia: ajvar recipe
- 2 Switzerland itinerary help - 1 week Lauterbrunnen, 1 week ??
- 3 London neighborhood suggestions
- 4 We Need a Pact
- 5 Where to go from Brussels?
- 6 I need a haircut
- 7 What to wear
- 8 All you need in croatia
- 9 Tipping in Greece
- 10 Barclays ATMs in England - fee question
- 11 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 12 Day trip from Tallin to Hellsinki
- 13 Restaurants in Rome near Campo de Fiori or Piazza Navana
- 14 Suggestions on how best to spend our time in Lyon
- 15 Has anyone visited Tinos?
- 16 Murren/Wengen in 3 days?
- 17 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 18 Aberdeen Angus steakhouse
- 19 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 20 Istanbul - Itinerary recommendations
- 21 Travel from Split to Zadar
- 22 Bayern seasonal pass
- 23 Lake Como 3 Stretch and 7 Stretch Ferry Tickets
- 24 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 25 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train