I'm new to this forum and I like it very much... lots of useful information. I'm going to Europe for two months this summer. It's not my first time there (and hopefully not the last) and I actually travel quite often, so this is not one of those "once in a lifetime" trips where I want to "see everything in seven days". Part of my trip I will be alone or with European friends (Prague to Budapest, see below). The rest of my itinerary is with my wife and our teen daughter. All travel plans are made (flights, car, accomodations) and itinerary is set to the detail (and I'm very happy with my choices). I am looking for advice on specific local activities - good restaurants/pubs, reasonable "cheap eats", must-see stuff. Anyway, here is my trip listed by overnight city:
arrive Frankfurt July 4, get Renault short-lease car,
Luxembourg 2 nights
Reims 1 n
Thaon (Normandy - invasion beaches stuff) 2 n
Dinant (Belgium) 1 n
Frankfurt 1 n (stop for an airport pick-up)
Rothenburg 1 n
Nuremberg 2 n
Gad Gastein, Austria 7 n (RCI resort)
Heidelberg 1 n
Frankfurt 1 n (stop for airport drop-off)
Prague 3 n
Vienna 3 n
Graz 2 n
Budapest 2 n
Bucharest 2 n
Salonic? 1 n (stop-over drive)
Corfu, Greece 7 n
ferry Corfu - Bari 1 n
Rome 4 n
Tuscany 5 n (base is Florence/Chianti area)
Cinque Terre 3 n (Monterosso)
Rome 1 n (airport drop-off)
Sorrento 3 n
Colmar 1 n (I know, long drive
Strasbourg 2 n
Frankfurt 1 n (fly back to Canada Sep 1st)
I would appreciate any local advice and information ref. Luxembourg, Prague, Vienna, Graz, Corfu, Rome, Tuscany, 5T, Strasbourg (all new places for me), for example a good restaurant or beer house in Prague/Vienna/Graz, a Greek taverna, or a Tuscany wine/culinary tour idea.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 2 Flights between Rome, Paris, London- I have questions!
- 3 10 days in Ireland! Ready? Shoot.
- 4 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 5 Farmhouse stay in Ireland?
- 6 Travel vs. Babies
- 7 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 8 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 9 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 10 Trip summary: London, England, July 2016
- 11 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 12 Verona and Lake Garda
- 13 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 14 European Cooking Secrets
- 15 Italy - rental car damages query
- 16 Another strong earthquake in central Italy
- 17 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 18 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 19 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 20 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 21 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 22 CDG much improved
- 23 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 24 London's Must Sights!
- 25 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
Jul-Aug 2012 trip - need tips for restaurants, bars, bakeries, local stuff