I'm new to this forum and I like it very much... lots of useful information. I'm going to Europe for two months this summer. It's not my first time there (and hopefully not the last) and I actually travel quite often, so this is not one of those "once in a lifetime" trips where I want to "see everything in seven days". Part of my trip I will be alone or with European friends (Prague to Budapest, see below). The rest of my itinerary is with my wife and our teen daughter. All travel plans are made (flights, car, accomodations) and itinerary is set to the detail (and I'm very happy with my choices). I am looking for advice on specific local activities - good restaurants/pubs, reasonable "cheap eats", must-see stuff. Anyway, here is my trip listed by overnight city:
arrive Frankfurt July 4, get Renault short-lease car,
Luxembourg 2 nights
Reims 1 n
Thaon (Normandy - invasion beaches stuff) 2 n
Dinant (Belgium) 1 n
Frankfurt 1 n (stop for an airport pick-up)
Rothenburg 1 n
Nuremberg 2 n
Gad Gastein, Austria 7 n (RCI resort)
Heidelberg 1 n
Frankfurt 1 n (stop for airport drop-off)
Prague 3 n
Vienna 3 n
Graz 2 n
Budapest 2 n
Bucharest 2 n
Salonic? 1 n (stop-over drive)
Corfu, Greece 7 n
ferry Corfu - Bari 1 n
Rome 4 n
Tuscany 5 n (base is Florence/Chianti area)
Cinque Terre 3 n (Monterosso)
Rome 1 n (airport drop-off)
Sorrento 3 n
Colmar 1 n (I know, long drive
Strasbourg 2 n
Frankfurt 1 n (fly back to Canada Sep 1st)
I would appreciate any local advice and information ref. Luxembourg, Prague, Vienna, Graz, Corfu, Rome, Tuscany, 5T, Strasbourg (all new places for me), for example a good restaurant or beer house in Prague/Vienna/Graz, a Greek taverna, or a Tuscany wine/culinary tour idea.
Jul-Aug 2012 trip - need tips for restaurants, bars, bakeries, local stuff
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris in April?
- 2 where to stay in Porto Portugal
- 3 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 4 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 5 quiet hotel in Rome?
- 6 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 7 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 8 quiet hotel
- 9 He said , she said
- 10 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 11 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 12 Venice hotel selection
- 13 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 14 May trip to the islands
- 15 Where to stay in Rome
- 16 7 days in Greece
- 17 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 18 Killing time in Positano without shopping or beachtime
- 19 Augsburg with kids
- 20 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 21 Spontaneous trip to Ireland
- 22 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Le Marche and the Dolomites
- 23 Three days in Spain
- 24 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 25 Easter week/ Semana Santa in Avila, Toledo, Segovia