I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 2 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 3 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 4 Where to eat in Rome?
- 5 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 6 Area with nicest countryside--Assisi, Veneto or Emilia?
- 7 Italy travel plan help
- 8 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 9 Thinking about the Fjords
- 10 Italy round 4 - Pisa/CT/Parma/Bologna/Milan
- 11 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 12 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 13 Alsace to Austria?
- 14 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 15 Budapest language lessons
- 16 Tours in Wales
- 17 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 18 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 19 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 20 barcelona neighborhood
- 21 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 22 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 23 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 24 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 25 Shorts in South of France?