I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Castle Stays in Wales
- 2 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 3 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 4 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 5 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 6 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 9 Can parking
- 10 italy Cinque Terre
- 11 San Sebastián
- 12 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 13 Zurich to Milan trip
- 14 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 15 Would like help planning a 16-21 day week trip to Spain and/or Portugal
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 18 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 19 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 20 Driving through Paris
- 21 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 22 Advice for first time trip to Greece
- 23 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 24 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 25 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg