I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 2 Ireland itinerary help please
- 3 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 4 Ronda Wine/biking
- 5 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 6 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 7 No Periods in British Written English!
- 8 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 9 Perugia
- 10 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 11 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 12 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 13 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 14 Ireland road trip in June: Where to stop?
- 15 Favorite restaurants, Florence
- 16 Areas in Milan
- 17 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 18 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 19 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 20 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 21 CDG much improved
- 22 St Denis Cathedral
- 23 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 24 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 25 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?