I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Verona and Lake Garda
- 2 How to save money when travellin' to London
- 3 European Cooking Secrets
- 4 Need suggestions for musical Events in Rome
- 5 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 6 Safe to bring jewelry onboard
- 7 20 Days in Europe
- 8 Travel vs. Babies
- 9 The Local at -- Bavarian Police: Europe under Siege
- 10 Copenhagen to Oslo to Amsterdam: Are we nuts?
- 11 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 12 Italy - rental car damages query
- 13 St Tropez vs Monaco
- 14 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 15 London's Must Sights!
- 16 McRent, Germany - AVOID!!!
- 17 Travel help
- 18 Le Marche Research Help
- 19 Get Ultimate Fun with England Escorts in the Bedroom
- 20 Spain itinerary, suggestions please!
- 21 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 22 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 23 8 days Skiing, City and Christmas Markets in Central Europe in late Nov
- 24 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 25 Flights between Rome, Paris, London- I have questions!