I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 French lavender and cottages
- 2 Major quake in central Itay
- 3 First visit to France/Dordogne
- 4 Italy - Car Rental - CDW's and Insurance
- 5 Amsterdam or any other city near London/Paris
- 6 Brugge or Ghent?
- 7 Eastern Europe Summer 2017 Itinerary + Mykonos Break
- 8 One quick week -- where in France?
- 9 Traveling from Sicily, Italy to Greece
- 10 Budapest on a budget
- 11 easy daytrip from Firenze (without car)
- 12 Which European country to visit in November? Spain/Italy/France?
- 13 Underground between kings Cross and Waterloo Main Line Station
- 14 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 15 Earthquake, so sad for Italy
- 16 suggestions needed: Seville--> Cadiz/Conil/...
- 17 The nieces take Bruce and Marija to Paris, Venice and London
- 18 Private Guide for Anhambra in Granada
- 19 Road trip from Rome to Orvieto and perugia
- 20 3 days with a Swindon base
- 21 Colosseum, roman forum and palatine ticket and tour
- 22 Bead Tours in Jablonec?
- 23 What Greek islands should I visit
- 24 baltic capitals
- 25 Puffins! No luck. So, where and when did you see them?