I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
January Rome Opportunity - Need Your Input Fast
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Benefits of Living in an HOA Community of the Cindy Shearin Group
- 2 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 3 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 4 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 5 Italy for 3 in 12 days
- 6 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 7 Hut to hut hiking in Bavarian alps
- 8 Best Time of Day and Vantage Point for Seven Sisters
- 9 Estonia Amber
- 10 My Italy Itinerary for July 2014
- 11 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 12 Quick notes from 2 weeks in Turkey
- 13 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 14 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 15 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 16 UK for 12 days !
- 17 Paris: Help w/short and very last minute trip
- 18 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 19 Hungary - Budapest Eger Szentendre photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 20 France Itinerary for 2 months: Please critique and advise!
- 21 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 22 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 23 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 24 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 25 St Pancras to Holburn tube station