I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
January Rome Opportunity - Need Your Input Fast
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 2 Unique Venice Activity
- 3 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 4 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 5 Chip but no PIN
- 6 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 7 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 8 Tram 28 safe to travel with kids?
- 9 Madrid and London
- 10 Excursions from Dubrovnik--wine/olive oil tasting, sailing/boat tours
- 11 car rental advice in Portugal
- 12 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 13 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 14 What to wear
- 15 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 16 Small group for Colosseum
- 17 Driving to Paris... Parking?
- 18 Lofoten ferry
- 19 Upcoming Spain itinerary-eyeballs please!
- 20 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 21 Duoro river cruises
- 22 Suggestions for Trip to Villefranche-sur-Mer
- 23 Day trip to Northern Italy Suggestions
- 24 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 25 Flamenco -- Cordoba, Seville or Granada?