I've got the chance to do a home exchange for 2 weeks in Rome in mid-January. A great opportunity that I'm jumping on right now!
I love Rome and am excited to have a week or more there, but not sure if I want to spend the entire 2 weeks in the city. I like to mix my trips with cities/countryside, but in January? I would love to visit Piedmonte, but what is it like in the winter besides being cold and possibly snowy? Are wineries and restuarants closed down for the season? Snow doesn't bother me as I live in the Utah mountains.
I would also like to return to Florence for a day or two to see the things I didn't see the first time. I didn't care for Florence (too dark, crowded and noisy) so I'd like to stay either in Friesole or the Oltrarno area. Or, could easily go there are a day trip from Rome and take advantage of the no cost lodging I have in Rome.
Thoughts? Other suggestions? Would it be best to make this an all city trip due to the time of year?
Already visited Venice, Cinque Terre, north and south Tuscany, Orvieto and other parts of Umbria and the Amalfi Coast area. I could go for an overnight in Milan to finally see the Last Supper on my way in/out.
Thanks so much everyone!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 kechua: Tec*h SUPP0RT comcast mail CONTACT 1:8OO:540:6830 comcast
- 2 alcazar question and seville advice
- 3 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 4 driving from London to Lourdes
- 5 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 6 Tuscany Itinerary
- 7 Couscous
- 8 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 9 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 10 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 11 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 12 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 13 Places to stop/stay?
- 14 Problem using American bank card in Turkey
- 15 Visit to Sardinia
- 16 ATM
- 17 Seeking scenic route from Bala, Wales to london
- 18 TIM in FCO - update
- 19 Visa Query
- 20 London in Winter Report
- 21 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 22 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 23 Is skip the queue for Versailles worth it
- 24 ATM help
- 25 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice