I am planning an itinerary as follows:
Start: Geneva (renting car on "France" side)
End: good question! See #1 below...
Duration: 12 days
Transportation: Rental car
Time of year: late April, 2015
What we like to do: walk/hikes, stay in countryside (perhaps 3 places of 3-4 days each), eat simple/rustic food, see charming towns, bike through the countryside + vineyards.
Here are my questions:
1) Where would you recommend dropping our rental car? We are moving on to Paris for 8 days, but I don't think we want to drive into the city. What is a good train location where we can easily drop the car (Europcar)and take a train into Paris when we are done in Burgundy?
2) What route would you recommend taking from Geneva through Burgundy? We'd like to stay in the countryside and visit charming towns on day trips. Any recommendations for the best countryside areas to stay?
3) What are your favorite charming towns to visit?
4) Do you have any inns or B&B's to recommend (price category: up to €180/night)? We especially would be interested in staying in places where dinner is an option so we don't have to drive at night after drinking wine. And also would love to stay where they might have bikes (or could rent bikes nearby) for good biking in the area.
Background notes: We have been in France many times before, but not to Burgundy so the area is new to us. We will be coming from 6 weeks of travel through Italy, Austria, Budapest. We are in our 60's, independent, and very fit.
Thanks Fordorites! You have already been the source of so many of our favorite places to stay on previous trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking reasonable itinerary for 16 days
- 2 Rome or Venice first
- 3 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 4 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 5 Uber vs. TfL
- 6 Berlin
- 7 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 8 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 9 One free day in Barcelona
- 10 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 11 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 12 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 13 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 14 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 15 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 16 Lille Braderie 2017
- 17 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 18 Apartment Montreux area
- 19 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 20 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 23 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 24 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 25 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?