I am planning an itinerary as follows:
Start: Geneva (renting car on "France" side)
End: good question! See #1 below...
Duration: 12 days
Transportation: Rental car
Time of year: late April, 2015
What we like to do: walk/hikes, stay in countryside (perhaps 3 places of 3-4 days each), eat simple/rustic food, see charming towns, bike through the countryside + vineyards.
Here are my questions:
1) Where would you recommend dropping our rental car? We are moving on to Paris for 8 days, but I don't think we want to drive into the city. What is a good train location where we can easily drop the car (Europcar)and take a train into Paris when we are done in Burgundy?
2) What route would you recommend taking from Geneva through Burgundy? We'd like to stay in the countryside and visit charming towns on day trips. Any recommendations for the best countryside areas to stay?
3) What are your favorite charming towns to visit?
4) Do you have any inns or B&B's to recommend (price category: up to €180/night)? We especially would be interested in staying in places where dinner is an option so we don't have to drive at night after drinking wine. And also would love to stay where they might have bikes (or could rent bikes nearby) for good biking in the area.
Background notes: We have been in France many times before, but not to Burgundy so the area is new to us. We will be coming from 6 weeks of travel through Italy, Austria, Budapest. We are in our 60's, independent, and very fit.
Thanks Fordorites! You have already been the source of so many of our favorite places to stay on previous trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Another tipping question: concierges
- 2 Purchasing iDTGV tickets at the station
- 3 Spain in July
- 4 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 5 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 6 Acropolis Athens
- 7 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 8 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 9 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 12 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 15 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 16 We're here!
- 17 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 18 Trip Ideas
- 19 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 20 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 23 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 24 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 25 Malaga City Center Hotels