I am planning an itinerary as follows:
Start: Geneva (renting car on "France" side)
End: good question! See #1 below...
Duration: 12 days
Transportation: Rental car
Time of year: late April, 2015
What we like to do: walk/hikes, stay in countryside (perhaps 3 places of 3-4 days each), eat simple/rustic food, see charming towns, bike through the countryside + vineyards.
Here are my questions:
1) Where would you recommend dropping our rental car? We are moving on to Paris for 8 days, but I don't think we want to drive into the city. What is a good train location where we can easily drop the car (Europcar)and take a train into Paris when we are done in Burgundy?
2) What route would you recommend taking from Geneva through Burgundy? We'd like to stay in the countryside and visit charming towns on day trips. Any recommendations for the best countryside areas to stay?
3) What are your favorite charming towns to visit?
4) Do you have any inns or B&B's to recommend (price category: up to €180/night)? We especially would be interested in staying in places where dinner is an option so we don't have to drive at night after drinking wine. And also would love to stay where they might have bikes (or could rent bikes nearby) for good biking in the area.
Background notes: We have been in France many times before, but not to Burgundy so the area is new to us. We will be coming from 6 weeks of travel through Italy, Austria, Budapest. We are in our 60's, independent, and very fit.
Thanks Fordorites! You have already been the source of so many of our favorite places to stay on previous trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A birthday dinner in Sevilla
- 2 London - Vauxhall or Southwark?
- 3 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 4 Time required from flight touchdown at Heathrow to King's Cross
- 5 Dublin and Northern Ireland with public transportation
- 6 Best of Norway
- 7 favorite app for converting US $$
- 8 Escorted tours Norway
- 9 Munich Hotel Location
- 10 Light weight small converter?
- 11 Trip in September
- 12 Small towns not too near Paris
- 13 Great Woin's restaurnats in Paris
- 14 Car rental help in Sicily
- 15 Italy Itinerary Advice
- 16 A Scrumptious Slice of Slovenia
- 17 Help with basic itinerary
- 18 Wake Up Mods
- 19 Scandinavia Itinerary help!
- 20 Short Visit to Munich for the Christmas markets
- 21 Meeting up in the Zurich airport
- 22 Italy - hiking, active, with Sicily
- 23 Clean up spam
- 24 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 25 Driving in Croatia