I am planning an itinerary as follows:
Start: Geneva (renting car on "France" side)
End: good question! See #1 below...
Duration: 12 days
Transportation: Rental car
Time of year: late April, 2015
What we like to do: walk/hikes, stay in countryside (perhaps 3 places of 3-4 days each), eat simple/rustic food, see charming towns, bike through the countryside + vineyards.
Here are my questions:
1) Where would you recommend dropping our rental car? We are moving on to Paris for 8 days, but I don't think we want to drive into the city. What is a good train location where we can easily drop the car (Europcar)and take a train into Paris when we are done in Burgundy?
2) What route would you recommend taking from Geneva through Burgundy? We'd like to stay in the countryside and visit charming towns on day trips. Any recommendations for the best countryside areas to stay?
3) What are your favorite charming towns to visit?
4) Do you have any inns or B&B's to recommend (price category: up to €180/night)? We especially would be interested in staying in places where dinner is an option so we don't have to drive at night after drinking wine. And also would love to stay where they might have bikes (or could rent bikes nearby) for good biking in the area.
Background notes: We have been in France many times before, but not to Burgundy so the area is new to us. We will be coming from 6 weeks of travel through Italy, Austria, Budapest. We are in our 60's, independent, and very fit.
Thanks Fordorites! You have already been the source of so many of our favorite places to stay on previous trips.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 2 Barcelona and Paris trip report
- 3 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 4 Looking for advice about flight from Barcelona to Paris
- 5 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 6 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 7 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 8 Scotland itinerary help
- 9 Rental Car pick up in Cortana
- 10 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 11 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 12 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 13 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 14 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 15 Info for Edinburgh visit
- 16 Scotland
- 17 Fodors's Slow to Load Lately?
- 18 AMBOISE BALLOON RIDE !! out of this world
- 19 two days to travel from bolzano to assisi
- 20 Watching A Musical At The West End In London
- 21 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 22 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 23 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 24 Looking for an apartment to rent. Better than hotel?
- 25 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?