I'm new here. I've just booked my flights for the last week of March. I'm flying into Venice and out of Rome. I'd love some recommendations for itineraries that suit my interests. We will have 8 full days plus a half day on our day of arrival (landing in Venice @ 2pm). We were thinking Venice -> Florence and/or Surrounding Tuscany Region -> Rome.
Note: I'm not super stressed about seeing the "famous sights" and/or every single historical museum. Please don't ask me why. The colosseum seems cool and all but it doesn't get me that excited. I would be miserable and bored waiting in a line for a museum or sight everyday-- seeing one is fine, seeing all of them isn't necessary for me. I'd love to try and see a more authentic side ( and yes I understand that I am visiting highly touristy and visited areas....I fear I will get myself in trouble for saying this so please--don't jump down my throat, thanks). What I mean is that I am from NYC and I generally am more fascinated by natural landscape, food, culture, and historic architecture-- things that will make me feel like I am actually in a different place. I want to walk around, eat a lot of food, and visit local shops.
I've considered bypassing Rome other than the one night stayover before our flight (also because it will be Easter weekend and I've heard it will be a crazy time) and trying to see some more southern areas...but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Malta diving trip
- 2 Russia - GO or not?
- 3 Packing as Light as Possible!
- 4 Fonte Bertusi
- 5 Italy (or other country) with a baby
- 6 Paris removes Pont des Arts love locks
- 7 One day in Paris, Champagne, and somewhere between Beaune and Nice
- 8 ASADOR EXTEBARRI..and assorted related topics..questions..
- 9 La Roque Gageac, France in early October
- 10 The best hotel in Naples for last night in Italy!
- 11 Can you recommend a hotel in Santorini?
- 12 Help planning for 8 days Barcelona and Costa Brava.
- 13 With AT&T Passport plan, do we also need GPS or MiFi for driving/maps?
- 14 Narrowed down itinerary, but still need help finishing in Munich
- 15 Buckfast Abbey Brews Up a Brouhahah!
- 16 La Mouzaia in northeastern Paris
- 17 Transferring on Germany trains
- 18 Itinerary Paris/Provence - please provide thoughts
- 19 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 20 Pompeii, Herculaneum
- 21 home base in provence
- 22 Cotswolds: Wheatsheaf Inn, NorthLeach or Rectory, Crudwell
- 23 Honoring my Father, Belgium, Amsterdam, London and TWO GTGs
- 24 Where to catch bus at Glasgow Airport
- 25 Dolomiti advice please!