I'm new here. I've just booked my flights for the last week of March. I'm flying into Venice and out of Rome. I'd love some recommendations for itineraries that suit my interests. We will have 8 full days plus a half day on our day of arrival (landing in Venice @ 2pm). We were thinking Venice -> Florence and/or Surrounding Tuscany Region -> Rome.
Note: I'm not super stressed about seeing the "famous sights" and/or every single historical museum. Please don't ask me why. The colosseum seems cool and all but it doesn't get me that excited. I would be miserable and bored waiting in a line for a museum or sight everyday-- seeing one is fine, seeing all of them isn't necessary for me. I'd love to try and see a more authentic side ( and yes I understand that I am visiting highly touristy and visited areas....I fear I will get myself in trouble for saying this so please--don't jump down my throat, thanks). What I mean is that I am from NYC and I generally am more fascinated by natural landscape, food, culture, and historic architecture-- things that will make me feel like I am actually in a different place. I want to walk around, eat a lot of food, and visit local shops.
I've considered bypassing Rome other than the one night stayover before our flight (also because it will be Easter weekend and I've heard it will be a crazy time) and trying to see some more southern areas...but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Itinerary recommendations for 8 full days in Italy?
- 1 Alsace question. Itterswiller or Riquewihr, where to stay?
- 2 Any experience with Chateau des Monthairons (Dieue-sur-Meuse near Verdun)?
- 3 Venice - Verona - Padova - Vienna Trip Report
- 4 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 5 International Trains to Switzerland using Swiss Pass
- 6 Tuscany Lodging - Ankhura vs. Terre di Nano
- 7 Germany and Italy
- 8 Changing of the Guard
- 9 Which tour company would be best?
- 10 Cinque terre or Como/Bellagio for day trip from milan?
- 11 WWI Battlefield Tours
- 12 Schiphol to cruise port - luggage problem
- 13 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome
- 14 Wife's first trip to Europe. Set on Paris & Rome, Need 3rd destination?
- 15 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 16 2 days in Venice- where to stay –What to do- Help please!
- 17 London Evening Activity
- 18 The Adventure Begins.. Sarge56 in Italy
- 19 Southeast England - more planning ?
- 20 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 21 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 22 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 23 Moonliner bus question - can someone help please?
- 24 Hot Air Balloon crash in Cappadocia kills two, injures twenty-three
- 25 Barcelona - eat, drink, dance.