I'm new here. I've just booked my flights for the last week of March. I'm flying into Venice and out of Rome. I'd love some recommendations for itineraries that suit my interests. We will have 8 full days plus a half day on our day of arrival (landing in Venice @ 2pm). We were thinking Venice -> Florence and/or Surrounding Tuscany Region -> Rome.
Note: I'm not super stressed about seeing the "famous sights" and/or every single historical museum. Please don't ask me why. The colosseum seems cool and all but it doesn't get me that excited. I would be miserable and bored waiting in a line for a museum or sight everyday-- seeing one is fine, seeing all of them isn't necessary for me. I'd love to try and see a more authentic side ( and yes I understand that I am visiting highly touristy and visited areas....I fear I will get myself in trouble for saying this so please--don't jump down my throat, thanks). What I mean is that I am from NYC and I generally am more fascinated by natural landscape, food, culture, and historic architecture-- things that will make me feel like I am actually in a different place. I want to walk around, eat a lot of food, and visit local shops.
I've considered bypassing Rome other than the one night stayover before our flight (also because it will be Easter weekend and I've heard it will be a crazy time) and trying to see some more southern areas...but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy: your favorite national park?
- 2 Hotels in St Germain Paris
- 3 Mysterious EuropCar charge 4.5 months after turning in car
- 4 3 weeks in Norway and Sweden. Comments, advice please!
- 5 Paris GTG 9/29-10/5?
- 6 Parma and Matova/Mantua - car rental
- 7 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 8 Rome Hotel: Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona?
- 9 Group wine tasting in Alsace
- 10 Staying on Ile de la Cite
- 11 Crazy Question regarding Flat Iron usage in Europe
- 12 20 days in Greece
- 13 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 14 Return hire car to Athens airport early tomorrow morning
- 15 Is it safe to take train from CDG by 10 PM?
- 16 Sightseeing Around Belgrade, Serbia
- 17 Catalonia: 14 days in September
- 18 Macedonia, Greece
- 19 Berlin to Barcelona
- 20 Online checked in, how early should we be at the airport?
- 21 Is International Drivers Permit in Spain Required
- 22 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
- 23 Victoria to Bletchley Park
- 24 Bayeux and environs
- 25 5 minutes to change trains in La Spezia???