I'm new here. I've just booked my flights for the last week of March. I'm flying into Venice and out of Rome. I'd love some recommendations for itineraries that suit my interests. We will have 8 full days plus a half day on our day of arrival (landing in Venice @ 2pm). We were thinking Venice -> Florence and/or Surrounding Tuscany Region -> Rome.
Note: I'm not super stressed about seeing the "famous sights" and/or every single historical museum. Please don't ask me why. The colosseum seems cool and all but it doesn't get me that excited. I would be miserable and bored waiting in a line for a museum or sight everyday-- seeing one is fine, seeing all of them isn't necessary for me. I'd love to try and see a more authentic side ( and yes I understand that I am visiting highly touristy and visited areas....I fear I will get myself in trouble for saying this so please--don't jump down my throat, thanks). What I mean is that I am from NYC and I generally am more fascinated by natural landscape, food, culture, and historic architecture-- things that will make me feel like I am actually in a different place. I want to walk around, eat a lot of food, and visit local shops.
I've considered bypassing Rome other than the one night stayover before our flight (also because it will be Easter weekend and I've heard it will be a crazy time) and trying to see some more southern areas...but that seems like it might be a stretch.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Itinerary recommendations for 8 full days in Italy?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 2 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 3 Italy dolomites
- 4 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 5 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 6 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 7 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 8 2 weeks in Barcelona and Swiss Apls
- 9 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!
- 10 Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report
- 11 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 12 Airport ATMs
- 13 All Set To Go!!
- 14 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 15 Condor Long-Haul Business Class
- 16 history museums or locations
- 17 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 18 22 year olds in Europe
- 19 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 20 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 21 Good times in Munich, the city
- 22 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 23 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 24 Cylades Island Hopping
- 25 One week in Spain, late May