This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour Group Operators
- 2 Tuscany for wine, food & photography??
- 3 Renting a car from Rome to tuscany to venice
- 4 Good Flamenco in Seville
- 5 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 6 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 7 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 8 What is the fastest and best way to travel across Europe
- 9 I went to Paris in June
- 10 Italy things to do?
- 11 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 12 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 13 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 14 Premier Inn in Edinburgh, City Center, UK
- 15 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 16 Music, Hippos, Alchemists and More: A Berlin/Prague Trip Report
- 17 Self-driving tips for France
- 18 Does this sound feasible?
- 19 house-renting safe in Slovenija?
- 20 What is considered acceptable travel attire
- 21 Stockholm/Archipelago Dinner Cruise
- 22 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 23 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 24 How to make this adventure work?
- 25 Eating in University cafeterias