This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 2 Shall I buy the travel plug in advance
- 3 Children's seat on Nextbike in Wachau Valley?
- 4 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 5 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 6 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 7 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 8 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 9 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 10 Scotland itinerary advice
- 11 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 12 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 13 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 14 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 15 Places to visit from Zurich
- 16 SURPRISE TRIP
- 17 The DCC scam is spreading
- 18 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 19 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 20 Positano Hotel in September
- 21 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 22 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 23 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 24 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 25 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)