This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris Restaurants in the 7th
- 2 Hotwire zones in Barcelona & London
- 3 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 4 Just Another Macarons, Hot Chocolate, Tucked into Bed by 11 Paris Report
- 5 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 6 Madrid or Toledo on May 1st - holiday
- 7 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 8 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 9 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 10 Renting a car in Venice and dropping it off in Rome
- 11 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 12 Second thoughts about Provence - help!
- 13 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 14 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 15 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 16 Italy
- 17 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 18 Where to stay family of 5 in Rome? Hotel or rental suggestions please!!
- 19 Domus Aurea (Rome) -- still closed?
- 20 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 21 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 22 Positano, Italy
- 23 Nice Video about Poland
- 24 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 25 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience