This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels in Madrid Spain
- 2 Terrorism in Europe
- 3 Chasing the Tour de France 2014
- 4 Tips on renting a car in Oxford
- 5 Paris in black and white
- 6 Question for those who have traveled to Portugal
- 7 Think twice before booking a trip with Grand Circle.
- 8 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 9 Day trips from Bologna
- 10 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 11 Best time of day to get tickets to the Anne Frank Haus?
- 12 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 13 Getting from airport to hotel in Prague
- 14 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 15 How did YOU get to Puglia?
- 16 Vacation in Spain ,Madrid-Sevilla-Cadiz-!Cordova-Lisboa
- 17 Grad Schools in London?
- 18 Vicenza day trip - can we walk everywhere?
- 19 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 20 What will happen if I do not pay the penalty of ATAF bus in Florence
- 21 Reina Sofia guided tour?
- 22 What is the best way to tour the Bosphorus
- 23 Poland (Krakow)/ Prague from Leipzig
- 24 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 25 Which area in Florence - Santa Croce or near Duomo?