This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Deciding on apartment location in Rome
- 2 Reykjavik hotels
- 3 Hotels that we found special
- 4 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 5 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 6 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 7 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 8 Too many Trip Reports
- 9 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 10 Staycation: can't believe I'm doing this
- 11 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 12 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 13 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 14 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 15 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 16 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 17 travel from Malaga to Rhonda Spain
- 18 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 19 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 20 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 21 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 22 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 23 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 24 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 25 Barcelona attraction tickets