This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 car rental companies Italy
- 2 Quick notes from 2 weeks in Turkey
- 3 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 4 Edinburgh To St. Andrews
- 5 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 6 What are the best places to see in England
- 7 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 8 MARSEILLES - Day trip - CASSIS or AVIGNON ?
- 9 GIRONA Spain - 1 day
- 10 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 11 Where to watch World Cup in Berlin
- 12 Sardinia 5 - 7 night, first time in March please help
- 13 SICILY - PALERMO or TRAPANI as a base?
- 14 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 15 hotels in Seville
- 16 Sicily Suggetions
- 17 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 18 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 19 best neighborhood/area to stay in rome?
- 20 Nice hotel in Garmisch, Fussen or Mittenwald
- 21 Mykonos - Ornos beach question
- 22 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 23 England/Scotland Itinerary
- 24 Renting a car in Venice and dropping it off in Rome
- 25 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?