This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 2 Sagrada Familia - Barcelona; time "allocation"
- 3 Checking out your destination with live webcams- Rome for example!
- 4 To include Florence or Not....A Venice, (maybe Florence), and Rome trip
- 5 April long weekend - Munich v Innsbruck v Salzburg
- 6 Budapest Favorites
- 7 Northern Italy Agriturismo, Activities, Cooking School
- 8 Gargnano vs Bellagio (Lake Garda vs Lake Como)
- 9 Oh no, not another grammar lesson! Learning italian in Venice - a TR.
- 10 Rome Colosseum and Forum
- 11 Renting a car after train to Florence
- 12 Mediterranean/Provence, February - March 2016
- 13 14 days in Italy. need some help
- 14 Sea side in Italy
- 15 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 16 SoS!!! Rome Hotel Prices - Why soooo expensive????
- 17 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 18 Where to stay 2 nights in la Céré France?
- 19 European Backpacking
- 20 Help! Itinerary suggestion for 35 days in Italy and France.
- 21 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 22 Itinerary Help- 12 day trip to Munich, Salzburg, Vienna and Prague
- 23 2 week Europe trip adivce
- 24 Small town /village within an hour of Dublin Airport
- 25 Spain in 17 days