This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 2 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 3 Europe in 21 days
- 4 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 5 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 6 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 7 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please
- 8 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 9 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 10 UK for 12 days !
- 11 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 12 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 13 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 14 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 15 London hotel
- 16 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 17 Your Advice: Bosphorus Cruise. Ortakoy and Dolmabahce Palace
- 18 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 19 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 20 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 21 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 22 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 23 Hotel in Venice
- 24 hotels in Seville
- 25 London tube