This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Antwerp or Bruges?
- 2 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 3 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 4 A relaxing itinerary in the Basque country?
- 5 3.5 days in Andalucia
- 6 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 7 Help with Italy itinerary (18 days: Rome, Umbria, Puglia, Amalfi?)
- 8 Sardinia Travelogue
- 9 Paris Travelogue (One week in June with a toddler)
- 10 Day Trips from Avignon via train/bus
- 11 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 12 Train From Paris to Beaune
- 13 Car hire in Turkey
- 14 Planning a trip to Eastern Europe, could use your help.
- 15 Chiusi or Pitigliano area - Help in choosing for Etruscan aspects
- 16 Visiting the UK (2 Weeks, need help)
- 17 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 18 TGV from Paris (or Orleans) to Barcelona
- 19 Petrin Hill and Prague Castle
- 20 Traveling through Italy - Understanding train transportation
- 21 Local Tour in Provence?
- 22 ATM nonsense: be prepared
- 23 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol
- 24 Geneva two weeks for business..restaurants?? and CERN??
- 25 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon