This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Airline to Rome
- 2 SE ITALY
- 3 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 4 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 5 monograms vacation tours
- 6 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 7 Towns around Lucca
- 8 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 9 Thinking about the Fjords
- 10 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 11 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 12 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 13 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 14 Athens Help
- 15 Sicily help
- 16 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 17 Experiencing London and Scotland by Sleeper Train
- 18 Cork questions
- 19 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 20 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 21 Borghese Gallery Question
- 22 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 23 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 24 London vacation rental agency
- 25 Trains in Italy