This is my first time posting on the boards. I have noticed that many of you have given great advice to travellers! So, in saying that, I have read that it is best to stay longer in certain areas to get a better feel of the area.
My wife and I are planning on travelling to Europe sometime in the near future for two months (likely May and June). We are both in our mid-20s. We will be backpacking and will be flying from Canada to England likely as a starting point. I would like to know if there are any redundancies in our trip and if some places we should stay longer (I know, I know! I'd stay in one place for a month if we could, but we do want too see Europe). We understand that we need to focus our trip so that we do not get bogged down travelling on trains and buses, ultimately draining our energy. We also want to balance that with seeing as much as possible without feeing exhausted.
We are mostly interested in history, and going to places off the beaten path. Not terribly interested in spending our travel dollars on nights out at bars. It is our first trip, so we would like to hit a few of the larger cities as well.
(Fly into London)
London - 2
Bath - 4 (visiting family)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - 2
Brussels, Belgium- 1
Ghent, Belgium- 1
Bruges, Belgium- 2
Cologne, Germany- 2
Frankfurt, Germany - 1
Heidelberg, German- 3
Rothenburg, Germany - 1
Munich, Germany - 3
Interlaken/Gimmelwald, Switzerland - 3
Venice, Italy - 2 (this is out of the way, but my wife wants to see it because we are so close and we won't be travelling to Italy for a very long time)
Salzburg, Austria - 2
Vienna, Austria - 4
Prague, Czech Republic -3
Dresden, Germany -1
Berlin, Germany 3
(Fly out from Berlin)
This totals 40 days, so we have an additional 20 days to play with. What cities should we add those extra days to?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where can I find a driver for a day around Paris?
- 2 Hotel in Venice
- 3 Florence to Siena May 1st
- 4 Getting married planning 6-8 week honeymoon in Europe & need YOUR advice!
- 5 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 6 A drive in Europe
- 7 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 8 Summarizing my Renfe train ticket before purchase for Madrid to Cordoba
- 9 Hotel or Apartment Hotel for 2 adults + 2 children (7 and 12)
- 10 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 11 train to Vernon France
- 12 Rental Car Reservation via Ireland site or American site?
- 13 Non touristy restaurants in Budapest and prague
- 14 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 15 Anyone stayed in Podere Spedalone?
- 16 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 17 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 18 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 19 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 20 Honeymoon Destinations for December 2014
- 21 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 22 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 23 please help with itinerary in sicily
- 24 Car rental at Southampton cruise terminal
- 25 GRAUBUNDEN: exploring Pontresina, Sils, Poschiavo, Zernez, Guarda, Scuol