I have booked a last minute trip to Italy for the end of August and would appreciate input on the first draft of my itinerary. I will be traveling with my 15 year old daughter (who thankfully, is a great travel companion!).
Tuesday, August 23rd we fly from Boston to Rome and arrive (of course!) on 8/24
Day 1 Arrive in Rome, travel on to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Venice
Day 4 Travel to Florence
Day 5 Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Florence
Day 8 Travel to Rome (early morning train)
Day 9 Rome
Day 10 Rome
Day 11 2:30 flight to Boston
I would like to take a day trip to Cinque Terre on one of our Florence days. I know it will be long. I have looked at other configurations to stay one night in Cinque Terre but the trains seem to be quicker from the bigger cities.
I am wondering about train travel between the major cities. For past trips to other countries, I have pre-booked all our train travel as there was quite a savings in doing so. For this trip, as I've explored postings and train sites, it seems that the suggestion is to purchase day of travel as there won't be a savings to pre-purchase. Is this true?
I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 2 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 3 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 4 Avoid Europcar!
- 5 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 6 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 7 Germany/Switzerland Help
- 8 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 9 quickest way to Prague
- 10 Plitvace Lake 1 day or 2?
- 11 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 12 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 13 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania
- 14 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 15 16 days in France and Italy
- 16 Ideas for change in our Italian itinerary please
- 17 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 18 Vaporetto ticket time questions
- 19 Amsterdam
- 20 First Time in Ireland...Intinerary advice please
- 21 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 22 Europe Winter Itinerary
- 23 Train / Calabria
- 24 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France
- 25 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants