I have booked a last minute trip to Italy for the end of August and would appreciate input on the first draft of my itinerary. I will be traveling with my 15 year old daughter (who thankfully, is a great travel companion!).
Tuesday, August 23rd we fly from Boston to Rome and arrive (of course!) on 8/24
Day 1 Arrive in Rome, travel on to Venice
Day 2 Venice
Day 3 Venice
Day 4 Travel to Florence
Day 5 Florence
Day 6 Florence
Day 7 Florence
Day 8 Travel to Rome (early morning train)
Day 9 Rome
Day 10 Rome
Day 11 2:30 flight to Boston
I would like to take a day trip to Cinque Terre on one of our Florence days. I know it will be long. I have looked at other configurations to stay one night in Cinque Terre but the trains seem to be quicker from the bigger cities.
I am wondering about train travel between the major cities. For past trips to other countries, I have pre-booked all our train travel as there was quite a savings in doing so. For this trip, as I've explored postings and train sites, it seems that the suggestion is to purchase day of travel as there won't be a savings to pre-purchase. Is this true?
I am open to any and all suggestions! Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iceland 3 day layover
- 2 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 3 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 4 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 5 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 6 Train travel
- 7 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 8 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 9 2 Weeks in Switzerland w/kids?
- 10 National Parks near Prague, Budapest, Vienna or Eastern Europe?
- 11 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 12 Christmas Markets 2017
- 13 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 14 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 15 My nephew’s visit to Edinburgh (or, OMG to be 18 again.)
- 16 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 17 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 18 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 19 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 20 Hotel recommendations: Venice, Florence and Rome
- 21 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 22 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 23 Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion
- 24 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 25 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?