My boyfriend and me are planning a three week trip to the UK this summer in july. We want to cover quite a lot of ground, so we are set on renting a car for the most of our trip.
I have followed a lot of the useful comments on this forum and thought up a itinerary that seems to be logical. Still, before booking everything, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some last pieces of advice! Here is what I planned; we will land in Heathrow on July 1st and leave from Heathrow on july 21.
Arrive in London, take the train to Edinburgh
3 nights in Edinburgh, pick up car
Go to Scottish Fair, visit distillerie in Blair Atholl, sleep there
Take a long drive to Isle of sky, stay two nights
Glencoe, one night
Stirling, one night
Lake district (Keswick?) two nights
North Wales, two nights
Cotswolds (Chipping Campden), one night
Bath, one night
Salisbury, one night
Return the car at Heathrow, then four nights in London
We realise we do A LOT of driving, but we don't really mind that considering the relatively short time we have. Also, there is one night left that isn't planned yet: I would greatly appreciate some ideas on where to add it. Is there a place that is worth spending more time? I'm thinking about stopping one night in Liverpool before our stay in North Wales, thus "cutting" one long drive in two... But then maybe there are better options. We travelling from Canada, we are in our late 20s and we love hiking and historical places in general.
I thank you all in advance for your precious help!
Itinerary in England and Scotland by car
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Good times in Munich, the city
- 2 8 days en route to Salzburg - help me plan my itinerary!
- 3 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 4 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 5 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 6 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 7 Lake Como transportation questions
- 8 Andalucia by car or train???? please help
- 9 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 10 history museums or locations
- 11 2 weeks in Barcelona and Swiss Apls
- 12 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 13 Greece or Portugal for 3-4 week fall sojourn?
- 14 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 15 By train to and out of Prague
- 16 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 17 Cylades Island Hopping
- 18 Looking for advice on Christmas Market trip (Germany)
- 19 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 20 Italy dolomites
- 21 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 22 Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report
- 23 Connecting flights. Customs/Security.
- 24 Airport ATMs
- 25 All Set To Go!!