My boyfriend and me are planning a three week trip to the UK this summer in july. We want to cover quite a lot of ground, so we are set on renting a car for the most of our trip.
I have followed a lot of the useful comments on this forum and thought up a itinerary that seems to be logical. Still, before booking everything, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for some last pieces of advice! Here is what I planned; we will land in Heathrow on July 1st and leave from Heathrow on july 21.
Arrive in London, take the train to Edinburgh
3 nights in Edinburgh, pick up car
Go to Scottish Fair, visit distillerie in Blair Atholl, sleep there
Take a long drive to Isle of sky, stay two nights
Glencoe, one night
Stirling, one night
Lake district (Keswick?) two nights
North Wales, two nights
Cotswolds (Chipping Campden), one night
Bath, one night
Salisbury, one night
Return the car at Heathrow, then four nights in London
We realise we do A LOT of driving, but we don't really mind that considering the relatively short time we have. Also, there is one night left that isn't planned yet: I would greatly appreciate some ideas on where to add it. Is there a place that is worth spending more time? I'm thinking about stopping one night in Liverpool before our stay in North Wales, thus "cutting" one long drive in two... But then maybe there are better options. We travelling from Canada, we are in our late 20s and we love hiking and historical places in general.
I thank you all in advance for your precious help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 2 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 3 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 4 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 5 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 6 restaurants in Marais district
- 7 France & Italy, May or June
- 8 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 9 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 10 Engadine Valley help
- 11 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 12 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 13 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 14 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 15 Honeymoon in Greece
- 16 Italy for Christmas Week
- 17 A Month stay in Southern France
- 18 Shoes in Scotland
- 19 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania
- 20 Enough time to make connection at CDG?
- 21 Question about Half Fare Cards
- 22 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 23 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 24 Portugal with large family
- 25 Sicily