My best friend and I are going to Europe next May/June for 2 1/2 weeks to celebrate our college graduation (she's never been abroad before and I have lived in the UK last year). I am very familiar with the UK, but not the other countries on our tentative itinerary. If I could have any help with it, that would be wonderful. We both plan to go backpacking and take the train, with one exception of flying between Italy and Spain.
Note: This incorporates certain places that we're both dreaming of doing; she wants to go to Spain and coasteering in Wales, and I want to go to the Swiss Alps and geek out in Rome (I study Latin).
Day 0 - fly to Manchester, UK
1- Arrive in Manchester - travel to Holyhead, Wales, UK
2 - Holyhead (coasteering) -travel to London via train
3 - London
4 - London
5 - London - Eurostar to Paris
6 - Paris
7 - Paris
8- Paris - train to Lucerne via Basel
9 - Lucerne
10 - Lucerne - train to Rome via Zurich and Milan
11 - Rome
12 - Rome
13 - Rome
14 - Rome - flight to Barcelona
15 - Barcelona
16 -Barcelona - train to Madrid
17 - Madrid
18 - Madrid - fly home
Some things I'm trying to work out:
Swiss Alps - I'm dreaming of experiencing something like Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi (possibly with some of the outdoor activities like the toboggan, zip line, or tubing, etc. We both love outdoorsy stuff). Is Lucerne the best place to do that?
Italy - We also both want to go to Florence, Venice, or the Italian countryside, but I'm not sure where to fit that in our 2 1/2 week schedule.
Spain - My friend really really wants to go to Spain, but she's not sure exactly where she wants to go. I just put Barcelona and Madrid in there because I've heard they really have different feels to them, and figured we could do mini day trips from both cities. Any suggestions?
Itinerary Help - UK, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 2 Buying handbags and shoes in Italy, how much should I budget?
- 3 No Time for Both...so...Segovia or Salamanca
- 4 Best places to shop for leather handbags in Florence
- 5 Month in Spain in September - Itinerary Feedback please
- 6 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 7 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 8 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 9 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 10 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 11 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 12 Florence/Tuscany and Rome - help with details!!
- 13 Fashion week Sept 23-Oct 1....our dates for Paris Sept 22-28
- 14 Help!! Need to pick up train tickets in France and credit card stolen
- 15 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 16 Touring Europe with 1 year old
- 17 London - Paris - Venice - Flight & Transport Questions
- 18 Scotland day tour
- 19 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 20 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 21 Granada: stay in the Albayzin?
- 22 International driving permit required in France?
- 23 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 24 Tour Company in Russia
- 25 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury