My best friend and I are going to Europe next May/June for 2 1/2 weeks to celebrate our college graduation (she's never been abroad before and I have lived in the UK last year). I am very familiar with the UK, but not the other countries on our tentative itinerary. If I could have any help with it, that would be wonderful. We both plan to go backpacking and take the train, with one exception of flying between Italy and Spain.
Note: This incorporates certain places that we're both dreaming of doing; she wants to go to Spain and coasteering in Wales, and I want to go to the Swiss Alps and geek out in Rome (I study Latin).
Day 0 - fly to Manchester, UK
1- Arrive in Manchester - travel to Holyhead, Wales, UK
2 - Holyhead (coasteering) -travel to London via train
3 - London
4 - London
5 - London - Eurostar to Paris
6 - Paris
7 - Paris
8- Paris - train to Lucerne via Basel
9 - Lucerne
10 - Lucerne - train to Rome via Zurich and Milan
11 - Rome
12 - Rome
13 - Rome
14 - Rome - flight to Barcelona
15 - Barcelona
16 -Barcelona - train to Madrid
17 - Madrid
18 - Madrid - fly home
Some things I'm trying to work out:
Swiss Alps - I'm dreaming of experiencing something like Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi (possibly with some of the outdoor activities like the toboggan, zip line, or tubing, etc. We both love outdoorsy stuff). Is Lucerne the best place to do that?
Italy - We also both want to go to Florence, Venice, or the Italian countryside, but I'm not sure where to fit that in our 2 1/2 week schedule.
Spain - My friend really really wants to go to Spain, but she's not sure exactly where she wants to go. I just put Barcelona and Madrid in there because I've heard they really have different feels to them, and figured we could do mini day trips from both cities. Any suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?
- 2 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 3 Amsterdam hotel with a canal view
- 4 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 5 Bandol port of call
- 6 Scotland Highlands
- 7 Bavaria in August
- 8 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 9 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 10 Illegal vacation apts. in Paris
- 11 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 12 Daughter has British passport can she get free education in UK
- 13 Guarda ->Zurich, Luzern->Ascona
- 14 Trip Report - Sicily in 30 days 2016
- 15 Teens in Paris..what to wear
- 16 Lake Garda or Lake Lugano?
- 17 Driving Tour - Bari to Bologna
- 18 Hyeres? Grimaud? elsewhere?
- 19 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 20 What clothes?
- 21 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 22 Has anyone used Travelex as a debit card in Italy?
- 23 Planning a two day visit to Montreux
- 24 Budget friendly restaurants in Rome
- 25 Help with London accomodation - totally confused now.