I would really appreciate comments and feedback on our week long trip to South of France. We are a couple in our thirties. I am pregnant (so don’t want the trip to be too rushed). We would be there from 25th June to 2nd July. We would be taking the Eurostar, so would not be jet lagged.
Really want to see the lavender fields, sunflower fields (if possible), though I understand that we might be slightly early for that. Also want to visit some picturesque villages and eat good food. I am a vegetarian and my husband eats fish.
In the Rivera we largely want to relax, maybe be at the beach for a couple of days and visit a couple of towns without being too rushed. I will post the Rivera part of the itinerary on a separate thread.
This is the tentative plan that we have come up with:
25th – reach Avignon in the afternoon. Get the hire car. Get some lunch. Visit the Pope’s palace and then go to Pont St Benezet. Go to the hill near the Pope’s palace for the views.
Would have loved to go to Pont Du Gard, however we don’t have enough time.
Get some dinner and go to Le Thor- where we are staying at www.le-clos-des-sorgues.fr
26th June- These are some of the places I would like to visit:
- Fontaine de vaucluse: Fontaine De Vaucluse looks like an extremely pretty and different village. The caves look great, and we thought it might be a good addition.
- Abbaye Notre Dame de Senanque : Brilliant photo op. So wouldn’t want to miss it
- Gordes – It looks absolutely gorgeous. We would like to get some lunch here. Any suggestions please? Unfortunately we will miss the weekly market as it is held on Tuesdays.
- Roussillon- would want to do the Ocres trail. Is it too demanding? I am five months pregnant and find climbing uphill a bit of a challenge. But can do that for an hour or so at a slow speed. This trail is open till 6:30pm.
- Apt: Again quite picture perfect and brilliant lavender fields (from what I have read).
They seem quite close to each other and seem really doable. However we don’t want to be rushing in and out of places. Would it be too much to visit all these places in a day?
Dinner: somewhere close to where we are (i.e. near Le thor). Or we would also be open to getting a picnic packed and bringing it back to the bnb.
27th June: This is the tricky day:
These are the places that we would like to go to:
Should we go to these on two different days? What other places should we visit? Would we have seen enough of Lavender fields on the day before and visiting either Sault or Valensole would be enough?
28th June: Avignon, Arles and Pont du Gard or Sault or Valensole
Where can we possibly see sunflower fields? Can we see Lavender and sunflower together? I ahven’t had a chance to look for markets. But are there markets in the villages and towns when we are there and which would be the main ones to look for?
Please feel free to give me suggestions about any dining options that you might think of. Ideally without wine our budget would be in the range of 30euro/head. We could spend a bit more for a really special meal.
I will post the rest of the trip of a separate thread. Please let me know your comments on this. Hoping to get lots of advice.
Thanks a ton!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 2 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 3 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 4 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 5 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 6 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 7 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 8 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 9 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 10 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 11 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 12 French Wedding
- 13 Cornwall UK
- 14 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 15 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 16 Photo tours in Amsterdam
- 17 Porto...Questions !
- 18 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 19 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 20 Tours through Spain and Portugal
- 21 12 days in Western Sicily in April 2017 - itinerary questions
- 22 Charming areas to explore in London
- 23 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 24 I may be wrong....
- 25 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy