Travelled to Italy 6 times previously and stayed- Puglia, Rome, Florence, Venice, Sicily, Sardinia, Cinque Terre, Urbino, Spello, Pisa
Speak a little Italian
Middle aged couple, independent travellers who prefer budget value apartment stays or small B&Bs/hotels
We are not interested in car travel, prefer local bus and train travel
Prefer to select a base to stay for a week at a time if possible- enjoy small village life- but also open to larger towns for transport hub
Already booked: Flying into Rome from Australia, spend 2 nights before heading off ( we have spent quite a lot of time in Rome before)- have also booked our last night in Rome before flying back to Australia.
Arrive Rome May 14- depart June 17
I enjoy planning the trip almost as much as actual journey, but I would love some itinerary input and then I can hopefully flesh out the rest.
A "round": trip of sorts- with the goal of travelling from Rome to visit Northern Italy, the Lakes area and then returning to Rome via Ligurian coast.
eg Rome- Arezzo- Verona-Lake Como ( Varenna) - Genoa- Rome
Considering visiting Vicenza, Verona, Padova, Modena, Parma, Varenna, Milan?, Santa Margherita Ligura- but open to all suggestions really!
My pleasant dilemma is if we want to choose 3 or maybe 4 bases ( preferably apartment living) from which to explore, which would be the best towns to do this from?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 2 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 3 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 4 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 5 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 6 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 7 Barcelona to Paris - Road trip in between?
- 8 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 9 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 10 Sim Card Options
- 11 Greek Islands (small)
- 12 38 Days in Paris
- 13 Day trip ideas from Bristol, UK
- 14 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 15 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 16 Day trip ideas
- 17 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 18 Help with purchasing a wedding gift card
- 19 Santorini - Fira/Oia options
- 20 Help with hotels in Santorini
- 21 Scottish Heritage Pass v. Explorer Pass
- 22 roaming Prague...but for how long?
- 23 Advice on car and getting around Aeolian Islands
- 24 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 25 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
Itinerary help please- 5 weeks- Northern Italy, Liguria, Tuscany?-