Travelled to Italy 6 times previously and stayed- Puglia, Rome, Florence, Venice, Sicily, Sardinia, Cinque Terre, Urbino, Spello, Pisa
Speak a little Italian
Middle aged couple, independent travellers who prefer budget value apartment stays or small B&Bs/hotels
We are not interested in car travel, prefer local bus and train travel
Prefer to select a base to stay for a week at a time if possible- enjoy small village life- but also open to larger towns for transport hub
Already booked: Flying into Rome from Australia, spend 2 nights before heading off ( we have spent quite a lot of time in Rome before)- have also booked our last night in Rome before flying back to Australia.
Arrive Rome May 14- depart June 17
I enjoy planning the trip almost as much as actual journey, but I would love some itinerary input and then I can hopefully flesh out the rest.
A "round": trip of sorts- with the goal of travelling from Rome to visit Northern Italy, the Lakes area and then returning to Rome via Ligurian coast.
eg Rome- Arezzo- Verona-Lake Como ( Varenna) - Genoa- Rome
Considering visiting Vicenza, Verona, Padova, Modena, Parma, Varenna, Milan?, Santa Margherita Ligura- but open to all suggestions really!
My pleasant dilemma is if we want to choose 3 or maybe 4 bases ( preferably apartment living) from which to explore, which would be the best towns to do this from?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 2 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 3 House Hunting in France
- 4 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 5 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 6 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 7 Itinerary Tweaking
- 8 Itinerary Help
- 9 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 10 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 11 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 12 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 13 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 14 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 15 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 16 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 17 Sicily
- 18 Rota Vicentina hike report October 2014
- 19 Hotel in Vienna
- 20 If you had to choose one......
- 21 Car rental from Barcelona
- 22 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 23 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 24 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 25 Need help with itinerary & trains
Itinerary help please- 5 weeks- Northern Italy, Liguria, Tuscany?-