Travelled to Italy 6 times previously and stayed- Puglia, Rome, Florence, Venice, Sicily, Sardinia, Cinque Terre, Urbino, Spello, Pisa
Speak a little Italian
Middle aged couple, independent travellers who prefer budget value apartment stays or small B&Bs/hotels
We are not interested in car travel, prefer local bus and train travel
Prefer to select a base to stay for a week at a time if possible- enjoy small village life- but also open to larger towns for transport hub
Already booked: Flying into Rome from Australia, spend 2 nights before heading off ( we have spent quite a lot of time in Rome before)- have also booked our last night in Rome before flying back to Australia.
Arrive Rome May 14- depart June 17
I enjoy planning the trip almost as much as actual journey, but I would love some itinerary input and then I can hopefully flesh out the rest.
A "round": trip of sorts- with the goal of travelling from Rome to visit Northern Italy, the Lakes area and then returning to Rome via Ligurian coast.
eg Rome- Arezzo- Verona-Lake Como ( Varenna) - Genoa- Rome
Considering visiting Vicenza, Verona, Padova, Modena, Parma, Varenna, Milan?, Santa Margherita Ligura- but open to all suggestions really!
My pleasant dilemma is if we want to choose 3 or maybe 4 bases ( preferably apartment living) from which to explore, which would be the best towns to do this from?
Thanks in advance for any advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 2 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 3 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 4 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 5 travel around Spain
- 6 Another Question re Scotland
- 7 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 8 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 9 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 10 A base for 5 days in Western Denmark
- 11 credit and debit cards
- 12 Where to stay in Umbria
- 13 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 14 2 weeks from southern italy
- 15 Mosel & Ahr wine tasting visit for 4 nights
- 16 ENGLAND-SCTOLAND-FRANCE-need help travelling solo
- 17 First Trip to Ireland
- 18 Dalmation coast in October?
- 19 Help w/ 2-week itinerary to Switzerland w/ 7 yr old
- 20 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 21 Confused on which train pass
- 22 Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena
- 23 Paris to Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Basel (Switzerland)
- 24 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 25 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
Itinerary help please- 5 weeks- Northern Italy, Liguria, Tuscany?-