My husband and I are going to a wedding in SE poland at the end of July. We are thinking of arriving in Krakow for 2/3 nights, then going to the wedding in Sanok for 2 nights. After, we would like to travel down through Slovakia/Tatras mts, then through Eger/Tokay area for wine, ending in Budapest.
Questions: where in Slovakia are the prettiest towns/scenery to stop in? We only have maybe 6/7 days to do this after the wedding, so probably only 2 nights in Slovakia, 1 in NE Hungary near the wine area and the last 3 in Budapest?
We are in our 30's and generally love food, wine and culture. Not really history buffs, although we appreciate lovely architecture. We do like some liveliness in the evenings, although I am sure we will get plenty of that in Krakow, the wedding and in Budapest, so not necessarily a priority in Slovakia. Also, would like interesting driving routes and the chance to see some castles.
I thought the tatras sounded lovely, and there was mention that Kosice was a more interesting city than Bratislava, which we don't care to visit, at least on this trip. Trying to see countryside, scenery, folk culture, eat and drink. Also, what about any of the national parks, besides the Tatras? Slovensky Raj?
As for Hungary- we probably only have time for 1 night in Eger/Tokay and 3 in Budapest. Is three enough in Budapest or not enough? Should we do 2 and an extra night somewhere else in the country that might be interesting?
Car Rental: Who can we rent with out of Poland and leave the car in Budapest? or vice versa, as depending on timing we may do this in reverse. And are the rates ridiculously high as far as foreign drop off fees? Theoretically, we can do this trip on a train, but it seems like a pain and we would rather have the freedom of a car.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What do you trust more: Booking or Tripadvisor?
- 2 What to shop for in Floeence, Chianti, Montalcino and CT
- 3 My 3 Day Umbrian Plan. What do you think?
- 4 Greece Itinerary
- 5 Poland, Czech, Slovak Summer Holiday
- 6 Berlin/Prague/Vienna/Budapest
- 7 Provins as a day trip from Paris
- 8 10 Days in Spain is this do-able or nuts?
- 9 Barcelona and coastal towns
- 10 evening of song and dance
- 11 Hallstatt to Salzburg- getting back transportation questions
- 12 Dinan or Avranches to visit Le Mont St. Michel?
- 13 Scotland Highlands Help
- 14 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 15 Bed & Breakfast in Ireland - need reservations?
- 16 Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Switzerland
- 17 Flaminco recommendations for Seville September 29 to October 1
- 18 Ravenna Mosaics
- 19 Navigating the Swiss travel system
- 20 Amsterdam, Germany
- 21 Changing planes in Frankfurt
- 22 Naples or Genoa
- 23 Les bons plans de Whathello
- 24 I'm moving to Italy...one way or another
- 25 Day Trip Orleans to Provins, an Italian Hill Town in France
Itinerary Help: Krakow, Sanok (for wedding) then Slovakia and Hungary