My husband and I are going to a wedding in SE poland at the end of July. We are thinking of arriving in Krakow for 2/3 nights, then going to the wedding in Sanok for 2 nights. After, we would like to travel down through Slovakia/Tatras mts, then through Eger/Tokay area for wine, ending in Budapest.
Questions: where in Slovakia are the prettiest towns/scenery to stop in? We only have maybe 6/7 days to do this after the wedding, so probably only 2 nights in Slovakia, 1 in NE Hungary near the wine area and the last 3 in Budapest?
We are in our 30's and generally love food, wine and culture. Not really history buffs, although we appreciate lovely architecture. We do like some liveliness in the evenings, although I am sure we will get plenty of that in Krakow, the wedding and in Budapest, so not necessarily a priority in Slovakia. Also, would like interesting driving routes and the chance to see some castles.
I thought the tatras sounded lovely, and there was mention that Kosice was a more interesting city than Bratislava, which we don't care to visit, at least on this trip. Trying to see countryside, scenery, folk culture, eat and drink. Also, what about any of the national parks, besides the Tatras? Slovensky Raj?
As for Hungary- we probably only have time for 1 night in Eger/Tokay and 3 in Budapest. Is three enough in Budapest or not enough? Should we do 2 and an extra night somewhere else in the country that might be interesting?
Car Rental: Who can we rent with out of Poland and leave the car in Budapest? or vice versa, as depending on timing we may do this in reverse. And are the rates ridiculously high as far as foreign drop off fees? Theoretically, we can do this trip on a train, but it seems like a pain and we would rather have the freedom of a car.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Itinerary Help: Krakow, Sanok (for wedding) then Slovakia and Hungary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 2 day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 3 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 4 christmas lunch or dinner munich 2014
- 5 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites
- 6 Are we likely to encounter Dynamic Currency Conversion in Andalucia?
- 7 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 8 Help us plan our itinerary......pleeeeeaaase
- 9 First Solo Euro Trip -- August 2014
- 10 tour guides in rome
- 11 Cordoba -- What to do on a Monday?
- 12 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 13 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 14 Day trip on the Rhine
- 15 poland to switzerland
- 16 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 17 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 18 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 19 People acting out Paris Metro Names
- 20 England/Scotland Itinerary
- 21 Reims for a day
- 22 Toulouse and beyond -
- 23 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 24 French embassy schengen visa related questions
- 25 Dordogne and Paris - April/May 2013