My husband and I are going to a wedding in SE poland at the end of July. We are thinking of arriving in Krakow for 2/3 nights, then going to the wedding in Sanok for 2 nights. After, we would like to travel down through Slovakia/Tatras mts, then through Eger/Tokay area for wine, ending in Budapest.
Questions: where in Slovakia are the prettiest towns/scenery to stop in? We only have maybe 6/7 days to do this after the wedding, so probably only 2 nights in Slovakia, 1 in NE Hungary near the wine area and the last 3 in Budapest?
We are in our 30's and generally love food, wine and culture. Not really history buffs, although we appreciate lovely architecture. We do like some liveliness in the evenings, although I am sure we will get plenty of that in Krakow, the wedding and in Budapest, so not necessarily a priority in Slovakia. Also, would like interesting driving routes and the chance to see some castles.
I thought the tatras sounded lovely, and there was mention that Kosice was a more interesting city than Bratislava, which we don't care to visit, at least on this trip. Trying to see countryside, scenery, folk culture, eat and drink. Also, what about any of the national parks, besides the Tatras? Slovensky Raj?
As for Hungary- we probably only have time for 1 night in Eger/Tokay and 3 in Budapest. Is three enough in Budapest or not enough? Should we do 2 and an extra night somewhere else in the country that might be interesting?
Car Rental: Who can we rent with out of Poland and leave the car in Budapest? or vice versa, as depending on timing we may do this in reverse. And are the rates ridiculously high as far as foreign drop off fees? Theoretically, we can do this trip on a train, but it seems like a pain and we would rather have the freedom of a car.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 2 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 3 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 4 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 5 Dijon in December!
- 6 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 7 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 8 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 9 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 10 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 13 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 14 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 15 Summer Travel order
- 16 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 17 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 18 Swiss Travel Pass
- 19 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 20 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 21 Another tipping question: concierges
- 22 24 hours in Zurich
- 23 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 24 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 25 Trip suggestion
Itinerary Help: Krakow, Sanok (for wedding) then Slovakia and Hungary