We are planning a trip to Scotland for August, and we have sketched out a plan with 3 days in Edinburgh, 2 days on Skye, 1-2 days on Lewis and Harris, and 4-5 in the western Highlands (with the time split between getting to and from the islands). Hoping for some beautiful scenery and time outdoors.
We'd like to see Glen Coe, and likely Loch Ness (for the younger members of the party), and we are hoping for ideas on routes and where to stay. We were thinking of maybe doing a loop of Oban-Loch Ness-Lewis/Harris-Skye-Loch Lomond (taking the ferry from Ullapool to Lewis, and then from Tarbert to Skye) but we were wrestling with how to plan the time between Oban and Lewis/Harris-- should we stay around Loch Ness, and then head over to Ullapool to catch the ferry, or should we try to see Loch Ness and then head someplace on the west coast like Kyle of Lochalse or Plockton and use the Uig-Harris ferry in both directions.
Any suggestions for our route or where to stay around Loch Ness (or Loch Lomond) that would be convenient and interesting?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 House Hunting in France
- 2 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 3 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 4 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 5 A night's stop between Sarlat and Amboise.
- 6 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 7 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 8 Ireland in April
- 9 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 10 Hiking in Austrian Alps?
- 11 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 12 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 13 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 14 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 15 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 16 Itinerary Tweaking
- 17 Itinerary Help
- 18 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 19 Hotel in Vienna
- 20 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 21 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 22 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 23 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 24 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 25 Amalfi Coast help