We are planning a trip to Scotland for August, and we have sketched out a plan with 3 days in Edinburgh, 2 days on Skye, 1-2 days on Lewis and Harris, and 4-5 in the western Highlands (with the time split between getting to and from the islands). Hoping for some beautiful scenery and time outdoors.
We'd like to see Glen Coe, and likely Loch Ness (for the younger members of the party), and we are hoping for ideas on routes and where to stay. We were thinking of maybe doing a loop of Oban-Loch Ness-Lewis/Harris-Skye-Loch Lomond (taking the ferry from Ullapool to Lewis, and then from Tarbert to Skye) but we were wrestling with how to plan the time between Oban and Lewis/Harris-- should we stay around Loch Ness, and then head over to Ullapool to catch the ferry, or should we try to see Loch Ness and then head someplace on the west coast like Kyle of Lochalse or Plockton and use the Uig-Harris ferry in both directions.
Any suggestions for our route or where to stay around Loch Ness (or Loch Lomond) that would be convenient and interesting?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 2 seat reservations
- 3 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 4 Italy in a week
- 5 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
- 6 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 7 what is this Copenhagen building?
- 8 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 9 4 Nights Sevilla/Cordoba in Nov; How to split up
- 10 Germany-Car or Train
- 11 2 Weeks in France: Rouen, Normandy, Dordogne and the Loire Valley
- 12 SURPRISE TRIP
- 13 Jewish Vienna
- 14 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 15 Reaching the Lake District
- 16 Positano Hotel in September
- 17 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 18 Scotland itinerary advice
- 19 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 20 Brussels flower tapestry
- 21 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 22 Paris to Switzerland to Venice in 2 weeks?
- 23 HELP: 3rd trip to France - where should I go?
- 24 Best Date for Vatican Museums?
- 25 Sardinia, Sardegna, Cerdena, tomatoe, tomato, tomate