I am currently in the midst of a six month journey around Europe. I leave England for Amsterdam on Oct 14, arriving early on the 15th. Halloween is not massively important to me, but it would be fun if anything interesting was happening close by, and a google search revealed 1 article that mentions Ostend in Belgium as one of the top 10 European places to spend halloween.
Has anyone been here for the festivities? Is it any good? Is Ostend worth a visit just for itself? Obviously the weather makes it less of a draw as a coastal town, but is there anything else worth visiting? I will be staying in Bruges for at least one night, so could visit from there rather than staying in Ostend itself.
The second part of my question is, if it IS worth visiting Ostend for Halloween, how shall I fill the 4 extra days in Belgium I now have?
Current itinerary is this:
Oct 15: arrive Amsterdam 9:00am (17 hour bus from Nottingham)
Oct 16: Amsterdam
Oct 17: to Haarlem
Oct 18: Haarlem
Oct 19: to The Hague
Oct 20: The Hague, hopefully daytrip to Delft
These hostels have already been booked: I am flexible after this point, but figured something like this:
Oct 21: to Antwerp
Oct 22: Antwerp
Oct 23: Ghent
Oct 24: Ghent
Oct 25: Bruges
Oct 26: Brussels
Oct 27: Brussels
Oct 28: Luxembourg
And then on down through France to Spain, where I fly home Dec 3.
So how can I revamp this to land in Bruges/Oostende on the 31st? I don't want to do too much backtracking, and I don't want to feel like I'm killing time to get to the 31st. Is there anything obvious that I am missing?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 2 First Solo Adventure
- 3 Airline to Rome
- 4 Trains in Italy
- 5 Dublin Luggage storage
- 6 Italy with baby - where to go?
- 7 Croatia short sail trip
- 8 The Alhambra Private Tour Guide
- 9 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 10 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 11 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 12 Alitala
- 13 Hotels in Copenhagen
- 14 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 15 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 16 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 17 Low Cost Holidays Package
- 18 Hiking/Photographing the Black Forest
- 19 Which Hotel in Rome
- 20 First Solo Adventure
- 21 Are you interested in visiting Iceland or you already have?
- 22 Travelling alone to Turkey @18
- 23 Georgia in 4 days
- 24 Where should I go with my family?
- 25 Tasting sherry in Jerez