My husband and i are planning our first trip to Europe April 29 - May 14. We will be in Amsterdam for 3 nights, Paris for 4 nights and then we have 7 nights in Italy. I'm having trouble finalizing our italy itinerary and am looking for some guidance from some seasoned travelers. First, let me tell you about our travel style. Neither one of us are into art, so we don't have a huge interest in museums. Our interests revolve mostly around experiencing the culture, strolling down cobblestone streets, eating good food (pizza, pasta, gelato, drinking wine, hanging out in piazzas, beautiful scenery, admiring architecture and history (not art history). We are 29 and 31, healthy, active outdoorsy people.
All that being said, our original plan was to spend two nights in Cinque Terre (Vernazza), 2 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Rome. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts on Florence. I've been reading my guide books and It seems like the main attractions are museums. I've also read some forum posts that talk about Florence being dirty and too touristy (I expect tourist though...I mean...I am one). I know that Florence is full of renaissance architecture for my husband and I to enjoy. I guess my question is, based on my husband's and my interests, would you keep Florence on the itinerary? Or would you change it to another hill town (i.e. Siena, Volterra, San G.?). Are there any other changes you would make to our itinerary?
Also, I know that we are squeezing a lot of things in to one trip, but I am considering this trip a European sample platter. This trip will help us decide where we want to spend more time on our next trip to Europe.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Stu Tower
- 2 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 3 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 4 SE ITALY
- 5 Amsterdam Mayor retires
- 6 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 7 two weeks in England including a mini Fodor get together
- 8 Two weeks in Greece early October
- 9 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 10 6 Days in Italy
- 11 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 12 DeGaulle to the dock at Le Pecq?
- 13 Helpful Hint
- 14 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 15 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 16 Shuttle from CDG into Paris
- 17 Bike rental - Aix en Provence area
- 18 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 19 Finland around Christmas time?
- 20 monograms vacation tours
- 21 UK - Coronation Street Goes to 6 Days a Week...
- 22 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 23 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 24 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 25 Crete Holiday