I'd like to take my son on a trip to Europe next year when he graduates high school, and would really like some help with my itinerary. He would love to go to Germany(WWII buff) and Norway(family roots). However, I've never been to Europe, so I'd like to see certain places as well. I teach Medieval history, so Gothic architecture and history interests me. We also like nature and hiking. Realizing that I can't do everything, I've come up with an itinerary that would give both of us something we like, but I'm wanting to see how realistic it is and if it would work for a first trip to Europe. I'm getting frustrated with the process because there's so much I want to see! I know I have to look at things as if I will return, but it's easier said than done because who really knows? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Day 1- Fly to Munich, Germany
Day 2- Land in Munich-Walk off jetlag and get a feel for the city
Day 3- Munich-Tour Residenz
Day 4-Munich- Explore Munich
Day 5- Day trip to Salzburg, Austria- Sound of Music tour
Day 6-Nuremburg- WWII tour
Day 7-Nuremburg-Albrecht Durer museum, watch making shops
Day 8-Rothenberg- Walk the city, take night watchman's night tour
Day 9- Fussen- Neuschwanstein castle by day, enjoy evening after tourists leave
Day 10- Lucerne, Switzerland- Tour Old Towne
Day 11- Lucerne- morning hike, then kayak on the lake
Day 12- Fly or train (not sure yet) to Paris- Eiffel tower and bike ride where he chooses
Day 13- Paris-Hop on/off bus morning; Louvre afternoon, evening Siene cruise
Day 14- Morning- Notre-Dame, afternoon- Museum of Middle Ages, dinner in Latin quarter
Day 15- Rent scooters and explore Paris! Eat in a delicious restaurant so son can practice his French!
Day 16- Versailles
Day 17- Sacre-Coeur,opera house, Musee d Orsay,
Day 18- Brugges, Belgium- explore historic center
Day 19- Brugges, waterways tour
Day 20- Day trip to Ghent- Explore the Gothic city!
Days 21- London- Hop on/off tour, go to a cool London restaurant
Day 22- Westminster Abbey, British Museum, bike the city, possibly Churchill war rooms (time permitting)
Day 23- Beatles museum (He's a musician)
Day 25- Bath- Roman bath tour
Day 26- Bath- explore city
Day 27- London- His choice
Day 28- Fly to Oslo, Norway- Viking museum, explore Oslo
Day 29- Oslo- His choice
Day 30- Train to Bergen- explore Hardanger fjord on boat
Day 31- Bergen- Hike Mt. Floyen
Day 32-Train to Oslo- Enjoy a delicious meal
Day 33- Back to Cali
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 2 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 3 Train travel
- 4 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 5 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 6 2 Weeks in Switzerland w/kids?
- 7 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 8 National Parks near Prague, Budapest, Vienna or Eastern Europe?
- 9 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 10 Christmas Markets 2017
- 11 London's Fastest Urban Zip Line in Europe!
- 12 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 13 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 14 My nephew’s visit to Edinburgh (or, OMG to be 18 again.)
- 15 US AARP discounts in Europe
- 16 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 17 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 18 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 19 Hotel recommendations: Venice, Florence and Rome
- 20 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 21 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 22 Wengen 3 1/2 days trip final suggestion
- 23 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 24 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 25 Appenzell in December?