I'm in the rough planning stage of my June-July 2014 solo trip to England. I have two sets of friends there I will be visiting along the way. I'm planning to return to some literary places I visited in the north in 1988 during an English Literature Summer School. I've never really spent time in the south.
Fly into Manchester - train to York 2 nights
Train to Alnwick -- 2 nights (visiting friends here)
Train back to York, pick up car. (may need another overnight here)
Drive to Keswick, Lake District; stop at Rievaulx Abbey on the way 3 nights
Drive to Haworth (Bronte Parsonage-- and walk up to Top Wiithens) 2 nights
Drive to Bakewell (Peaks District) 3 nights (one day visiting with friend; the other touring Hathersage area, Haddon Hall and Chatsworth)
Drive to Stowe-on-the-Wold -- 3 nights (walk from village to village, and also spend a day driving around the Cotswolds)
Drive to Bath 2 nights
Drive to Dorchester - 1 night -- Thomas Hardy houses
Drive to Alton --3 nights- Jane Austen House and places she visited; Highclere Castle
Fly from Heathrow to Dublin, where I pick up an Ireland tour
I would appreciate feedback from those of you familiar with these areas; this will also my first time renting a car abroad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Travel from Dublin Airport to Sligo City
- 2 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 3 from Charles de Gaulle to central Paris
- 4 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 5 Ireland Trip + 3 days in Dublin
- 6 12 days europe
- 7 Glasgow and surrounding area help
- 8 Day Trip to Greenland from Reykjavik
- 9 Christmas Week in London
- 10 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 11 Too much for one day?
- 12 Travel WiFi - France
- 13 Italy for the first time
- 14 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 15 RFID Protection
- 16 Iceland: The Land of Fire and Ice
- 17 Germany and Austria trip report
- 18 Letter Designations on Transport Lines and Barcelona Card
- 19 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 20 London Itinerary and Questions
- 21 Beaches in Southern France
- 22 3 days to spend in europe
- 23 Dordogne day trips by boat - options?
- 24 Ali
- 25 Paris to Ramstein