I'm in the rough planning stage of my June-July 2014 solo trip to England. I have two sets of friends there I will be visiting along the way. I'm planning to return to some literary places I visited in the north in 1988 during an English Literature Summer School. I've never really spent time in the south.
Fly into Manchester - train to York 2 nights
Train to Alnwick -- 2 nights (visiting friends here)
Train back to York, pick up car. (may need another overnight here)
Drive to Keswick, Lake District; stop at Rievaulx Abbey on the way 3 nights
Drive to Haworth (Bronte Parsonage-- and walk up to Top Wiithens) 2 nights
Drive to Bakewell (Peaks District) 3 nights (one day visiting with friend; the other touring Hathersage area, Haddon Hall and Chatsworth)
Drive to Stowe-on-the-Wold -- 3 nights (walk from village to village, and also spend a day driving around the Cotswolds)
Drive to Bath 2 nights
Drive to Dorchester - 1 night -- Thomas Hardy houses
Drive to Alton --3 nights- Jane Austen House and places she visited; Highclere Castle
Fly from Heathrow to Dublin, where I pick up an Ireland tour
I would appreciate feedback from those of you familiar with these areas; this will also my first time renting a car abroad.
Itinerary - England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 2 Transportation from Nice to Florence
- 3 2 Weeks in Italy - In Less than 2 Weeks!
- 4 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 5 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 6 Madrid and London
- 7 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 8 What to wear
- 9 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 10 avoiding stuffy and inflexible service at nice european resorts
- 11 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 12 Electronic plug adapter for Italy
- 13 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 14 Bologna airport to train to Florence
- 15 Gargano Promontory
- 16 London neighborhood suggestions
- 17 Bologna tips
- 18 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 19 Day Trips From Stockton-on-Tees
- 20 London Day Trips - Soooo many options
- 21 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento Itinerary Help!
- 22 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 23 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 24 Tedgale Trip Report: Portugal in April 2014 (with Easter in Amsterdam)
- 25 Spain, France, Netherlands with 18, 19 yo grandsons