I'm in the rough planning stage of my June-July 2014 solo trip to England. I have two sets of friends there I will be visiting along the way. I'm planning to return to some literary places I visited in the north in 1988 during an English Literature Summer School. I've never really spent time in the south.
Fly into Manchester - train to York 2 nights
Train to Alnwick -- 2 nights (visiting friends here)
Train back to York, pick up car. (may need another overnight here)
Drive to Keswick, Lake District; stop at Rievaulx Abbey on the way 3 nights
Drive to Haworth (Bronte Parsonage-- and walk up to Top Wiithens) 2 nights
Drive to Bakewell (Peaks District) 3 nights (one day visiting with friend; the other touring Hathersage area, Haddon Hall and Chatsworth)
Drive to Stowe-on-the-Wold -- 3 nights (walk from village to village, and also spend a day driving around the Cotswolds)
Drive to Bath 2 nights
Drive to Dorchester - 1 night -- Thomas Hardy houses
Drive to Alton --3 nights- Jane Austen House and places she visited; Highclere Castle
Fly from Heathrow to Dublin, where I pick up an Ireland tour
I would appreciate feedback from those of you familiar with these areas; this will also my first time renting a car abroad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 5 days in switzerland
- 2 Barcelona and Paris with Wine In-between
- 3 Advice please! 4 weeks in Europe Dec/Jan
- 4 Nice-Barcelona-Valencia
- 5 ATM card woes in Dublin
- 6 Comments on possible day trips fromSt Remy de Provence
- 7 Amafi to Naples - private driver? Other options?
- 8 Viking Ship Museums and Open Air Museums
- 9 Antwerp Tram
- 10 Help!!!!! I'm traveling alone, to Ireland this summer, is it safe?
- 11 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 12 Passport 6-month validity requirement is for ENTRY date, not exit, right?
- 13 Cost of Taxi from Ravello to Positano?
- 14 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 15 Transportation for students btw Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Krakow
- 16 London vacation, 1st time in UK
- 17 Advice on Bethnal Green, Shoreditch area London
- 18 Train tickets from Switzerland to Venice and back with Swiss Travel Pass
- 19 How would you piece these together?Piedmont,Tuscany, Bologna, Umbria
- 20 Solo backpacking for 5 weeks
- 21 TAP airlines & other questions
- 22 Netflix and Hulu
- 23 Restaurant Recommendations in Rome
- 24 Paris hotels
- 25 traveling to stockholm with four kids (11)