I'm in the rough planning stage of my June-July 2014 solo trip to England. I have two sets of friends there I will be visiting along the way. I'm planning to return to some literary places I visited in the north in 1988 during an English Literature Summer School. I've never really spent time in the south.
Fly into Manchester - train to York 2 nights
Train to Alnwick -- 2 nights (visiting friends here)
Train back to York, pick up car. (may need another overnight here)
Drive to Keswick, Lake District; stop at Rievaulx Abbey on the way 3 nights
Drive to Haworth (Bronte Parsonage-- and walk up to Top Wiithens) 2 nights
Drive to Bakewell (Peaks District) 3 nights (one day visiting with friend; the other touring Hathersage area, Haddon Hall and Chatsworth)
Drive to Stowe-on-the-Wold -- 3 nights (walk from village to village, and also spend a day driving around the Cotswolds)
Drive to Bath 2 nights
Drive to Dorchester - 1 night -- Thomas Hardy houses
Drive to Alton --3 nights- Jane Austen House and places she visited; Highclere Castle
Fly from Heathrow to Dublin, where I pick up an Ireland tour
I would appreciate feedback from those of you familiar with these areas; this will also my first time renting a car abroad.
Itinerary - England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Avis De Contravention (speeding ticket) dispute/appeal?
- 2 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 3 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 4 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 5 Off the beaten path in Italy
- 6 Cotswolds first time
- 7 Have 4 Ticket to Eiffel Tower Summit for sale 31.08, early afternoon
- 8 need advise on first time travel to Europe
- 9 Help! Need alternative to PORTOVENERE in late-September!
- 10 7 days in London in Dec with family
- 11 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 12 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 13 Day trips from Bologna
- 14 The east coast of Italy
- 15 Schengen rule made easy
- 16 Vacation in Spain ,Madrid-Sevilla-Cadiz-!Cordova-Lisboa
- 17 What are Your Favorite Kid-Friendly Hotels in Paris?
- 18 Where to rent a house for 1 or 2 months during summer in Europe
- 19 Grad Schools in London?
- 20 Tips on renting a car in Oxford
- 21 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 22 Florence Opera
- 23 30 male travelling alone for first time to central london.
- 24 Latest Itinerary
- 25 Day trips from Bologna