I'm in the rough planning stage of my June-July 2014 solo trip to England. I have two sets of friends there I will be visiting along the way. I'm planning to return to some literary places I visited in the north in 1988 during an English Literature Summer School. I've never really spent time in the south.
Fly into Manchester - train to York 2 nights
Train to Alnwick -- 2 nights (visiting friends here)
Train back to York, pick up car. (may need another overnight here)
Drive to Keswick, Lake District; stop at Rievaulx Abbey on the way 3 nights
Drive to Haworth (Bronte Parsonage-- and walk up to Top Wiithens) 2 nights
Drive to Bakewell (Peaks District) 3 nights (one day visiting with friend; the other touring Hathersage area, Haddon Hall and Chatsworth)
Drive to Stowe-on-the-Wold -- 3 nights (walk from village to village, and also spend a day driving around the Cotswolds)
Drive to Bath 2 nights
Drive to Dorchester - 1 night -- Thomas Hardy houses
Drive to Alton --3 nights- Jane Austen House and places she visited; Highclere Castle
Fly from Heathrow to Dublin, where I pick up an Ireland tour
I would appreciate feedback from those of you familiar with these areas; this will also my first time renting a car abroad.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 토토추천사이트 c p s 33 . c o m
- 2 AMS Car Rental
- 3 Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich
- 4 Ischia Earthquake/mobile wifi
- 5 Private transportation between Italian Cities
- 6 Help! Need Itinerary advice for Vacation in the Alps
- 7 Where to eat in Rome?
- 8 weekend from cologne germany
- 9 9 day Trip to Scotland
- 10 Mid-late Oct in Slovenia?
- 11 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 12 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 13 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 14 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 15 Uber in Rome & Lisbon
- 16 Milan and Lake Como
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 18 Mallorca: Hotel in/near Palma?
- 19 One week in Europe
- 20 Budapest to Kosice
- 21 Montserrat, Spain - Sept 8 or Sept 10?
- 22 Venice in October... by myself! (Please advise.)
- 23 Itinerary Germany 9/10 - 9/24/17
- 24 UK or France or elsewhere, July 2018, good price from west coast?
- 25 Munich itinerary review