I would really appreciate an advise on planning our trip. This will be our first time in Italy (coming from US). After extensive deliberation we decided against guided tour and will go ahead with self planned trip. We are family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens). I would appreciate advise/ comments on my plan:
- Fly into Venice and work our way to south of Italy eventually ending up in Rome to fly back: any suggestions on doing it other way around?
- spend approximately 14-15 days for the whole trip
- Visit: Venice, Bologna, Cinque terra, Florence, Amalfi coast, Palermo ( with few days on the beach) and end up in Rome
- We would prefer to travel by train, but it appears that tickets are super expansive and I am not sure what train company to go with: Italiarail or Eurail: any suggestions?
Also traveling by boat from Naples to Palermo looks like could be an option.
- We are very interested in biking tours, cooking experiences, local activities, seeing true Italian villages: any suggestions?
- Amalfi coast and Capri: where to stay for great beach and relaxing 2-3 days? Any resorts?
- What exhibit tours and excursions not to miss in the big cities like: Rome, Florence and Venice?
- And finally, I thinking about flying with US Airways or Delta, any comments? Or is there a better airline to fly from the Midwest of the US?
Thank you in advance for any comments, suggestions, etc!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 2 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 3 Amalfi itinerary help needed
- 4 Where should I go with my family?
- 5 Crete Holiday
- 6 PARIS
- 7 Arrival in Berlin on Christmas Day?
- 8 First Solo Adventure
- 9 First Solo Adventure
- 10 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 11 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 12 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 13 Stu Tower
- 14 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 15 Trains in Italy
- 16 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 17 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 18 Which Hotel in Rome
- 19 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 20 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 21 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 22 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 23 SE ITALY
- 24 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 25 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?