Hi, I'm not quite sure how this works as I haven't posted a question before; however, I have read a lot of the topics from others and have the Rick Steves book. I am looking for any advice on planning a trip to Italy with our family of 4 (including 2 teens, girl 13 and boy 16). We are looking at going in August, 2013 for about 8-9 days. I know August isn't the best time but that's what fits our schedule. My husband and kids have not been to Italy before and the last time I went was in 1989 with a backpack and youth hosteling so this is very different for me. My thoughts are to fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Naples (2-3 nights), train to Rome (3 nights) and fly out of Rome. I really want the kids to see Venice and Rome and they really want to go to Pompeii so I definitely want to fit that in. I was thinking that if we stayed in Naples, we could day trip to Pompeii. Does anyone have any other suggestions such as staying in Sorrento instead of Naples or would we be better to stay longer in Rome and daytrip to Pompeii from there? Also, for 3 night stays, should I look at hotels or apartments? Would guided tours to such as the Forum/Coliseum be advisable?
Italy trip with 2 teens for Aug. 2013...seeking advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 2 rail pass
- 3 "Chip" Credit Cards in Italy
- 4 anticipating Italian autostrada traffic in July to catch ferry
- 5 Switzerland Trip with Family
- 6 Dolce Far Niente....the sweetness of doing nothing (well almost) in Paris
- 7 Napoli Centrale: Luggage/Storage Lockers?
- 8 Multi-Generational Great Britain Tour
- 9 A guide to Madrid
- 10 UK and Belgium 20 days with 2 kids ( 6 years old and 7 years old girls)
- 11 I´ve resurrected an old blog on the Basque Country
- 12 2000 years, 2 countries, 2 passports: Rome & Madrid, Jan. 2015
- 13 What to see between Budapest and Salzburg
- 14 Renting an apt.
- 15 Need help on almost 3 weeks in Ireland: itinerary
- 16 English Stately Homes and Castle
- 17 Zurich and other cities to visit?
- 18 Comments on Iceland Itinerary Please
- 19 WiFi on trains
- 20 4 weeks by rail starting Rome
- 21 Potential return trip to Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 22 Valencia, Granada, Seville or Malaga ????
- 23 Germany for 3 weeks
- 24 10 day itinerary in Puglia
- 25 Bayeux to Mt. St Micheal - Any interesting stops along the way?