Hi, I'm not quite sure how this works as I haven't posted a question before; however, I have read a lot of the topics from others and have the Rick Steves book. I am looking for any advice on planning a trip to Italy with our family of 4 (including 2 teens, girl 13 and boy 16). We are looking at going in August, 2013 for about 8-9 days. I know August isn't the best time but that's what fits our schedule. My husband and kids have not been to Italy before and the last time I went was in 1989 with a backpack and youth hosteling so this is very different for me. My thoughts are to fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Naples (2-3 nights), train to Rome (3 nights) and fly out of Rome. I really want the kids to see Venice and Rome and they really want to go to Pompeii so I definitely want to fit that in. I was thinking that if we stayed in Naples, we could day trip to Pompeii. Does anyone have any other suggestions such as staying in Sorrento instead of Naples or would we be better to stay longer in Rome and daytrip to Pompeii from there? Also, for 3 night stays, should I look at hotels or apartments? Would guided tours to such as the Forum/Coliseum be advisable?
Italy trip with 2 teens for Aug. 2013...seeking advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 2 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 3 England and Scotland
- 4 Euro Quiz #4 - Europe's Ten Tallest Cathedrals...
- 5 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 6 Munich - (2) nights plus an extra evening - your suggestions?
- 7 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 8 Athens/Istanbul March
- 9 French open
- 10 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 11 Suggestions for Scandinavian Movies, Radio and Music. Can you help?
- 12 Azores
- 13 Trains in Italy
- 14 How safe is "Combe Laval Road" or ROUTE DE GENTLY to drive a car?
- 15 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 16 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 17 What to do during Christmas in Paris?
- 18 Amazon 50% off sale on Rosetta Stone German
- 19 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 20 Air pollution in Paris
- 21 tulips in the Netherland
- 22 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 23 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 24 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 25 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia