Hi, I'm not quite sure how this works as I haven't posted a question before; however, I have read a lot of the topics from others and have the Rick Steves book. I am looking for any advice on planning a trip to Italy with our family of 4 (including 2 teens, girl 13 and boy 16). We are looking at going in August, 2013 for about 8-9 days. I know August isn't the best time but that's what fits our schedule. My husband and kids have not been to Italy before and the last time I went was in 1989 with a backpack and youth hosteling so this is very different for me. My thoughts are to fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Naples (2-3 nights), train to Rome (3 nights) and fly out of Rome. I really want the kids to see Venice and Rome and they really want to go to Pompeii so I definitely want to fit that in. I was thinking that if we stayed in Naples, we could day trip to Pompeii. Does anyone have any other suggestions such as staying in Sorrento instead of Naples or would we be better to stay longer in Rome and daytrip to Pompeii from there? Also, for 3 night stays, should I look at hotels or apartments? Would guided tours to such as the Forum/Coliseum be advisable?
Italy trip with 2 teens for Aug. 2013...seeking advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning first Solo Backpacking in Europe!
- 2 What still confounds you about travel?
- 3 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 4 Best route from Pamukkale to Fethiye by car
- 5 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 6 Help with Itinerary please!!!!
- 7 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 8 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 9 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 10 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 11 Airport to Piraeus
- 12 Train to Airport in Venice
- 13 Puglia planning - where to base, how long to spend
- 14 Paris Travelogue (One week in June with a toddler)
- 15 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 16 Honeymoon in Greece 10 days : Athen Santorini Crete
- 17 Questions for my German friends
- 18 Chip but no PIN
- 19 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 20 Itinerary: 13 day trip to Greece
- 21 Foie gras, redux
- 22 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 23 Dublin Tour Companies
- 24 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 25 Day trips from Seville