Hi, I'm not quite sure how this works as I haven't posted a question before; however, I have read a lot of the topics from others and have the Rick Steves book. I am looking for any advice on planning a trip to Italy with our family of 4 (including 2 teens, girl 13 and boy 16). We are looking at going in August, 2013 for about 8-9 days. I know August isn't the best time but that's what fits our schedule. My husband and kids have not been to Italy before and the last time I went was in 1989 with a backpack and youth hosteling so this is very different for me. My thoughts are to fly into Venice (3 nights), train to Naples (2-3 nights), train to Rome (3 nights) and fly out of Rome. I really want the kids to see Venice and Rome and they really want to go to Pompeii so I definitely want to fit that in. I was thinking that if we stayed in Naples, we could day trip to Pompeii. Does anyone have any other suggestions such as staying in Sorrento instead of Naples or would we be better to stay longer in Rome and daytrip to Pompeii from there? Also, for 3 night stays, should I look at hotels or apartments? Would guided tours to such as the Forum/Coliseum be advisable?
Italy trip with 2 teens for Aug. 2013...seeking advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 2 Phone for in-country calls in Greece
- 3 Europe in 21 days
- 4 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 5 Best French Onion Soup in Paris
- 6 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 7 Munich to Lyon (10 nights) --- help needed with itinerary please
- 8 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 9 Southern Spain wth family in 1 week by car
- 10 UK for 12 days !
- 11 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 12 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 13 Edinburgh for 7 days for 60+
- 14 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 15 London hotel
- 16 Help wanted for choosing apartment/hotel in Istanbul (early May 2014)
- 17 Your Advice: Bosphorus Cruise. Ortakoy and Dolmabahce Palace
- 18 How to get from Greenwich to Victoria Station
- 19 A Win At the Arc and Discovering Lisbon
- 20 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 21 Yearly Greece visitor looking for different island
- 22 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 23 Hotel in Venice
- 24 hotels in Seville
- 25 London tube