I will be traveling to Italy for the first time either by myself or with my best friend (not sure if she can do it) in early April 2014 or late April 2014. Nothing has been booked yet but here is my tentative schedule:
Fly into Bologna or another city (Milan, Venice or Rome) and take the train into Bologna. Relax and recoup from jet lag.
2 nights in Bologna. Take the train from Bologna to Venice.
3 nights in Venice. Take the train from Venice to Florence.
3 nights in Florence. Thinking about taking the train from Florence to Orvieto/Narni before heading to Rome for some relaxation.
2 or 3 nights in Orvieto/Narni Region. Train from Orvieto to Rome.
4 nights in Rome. Fly home from Rome to Chicago, I have researched places to stay at and sites to see in each major city but nothing is set in stone yet.
Should I add another night in Bologna and only stay in Orvieto/Narni for 2 nights? Any suggestions on places to see, eat, stay in Bologna and/or Orvieto/Narni? Is my schedule for the main cities enough for the first time visiting or should I add more time there?
Never traveled to Europe and/or by myself more than a day. Very excited about this trip as well as nervous if I have to travel alone.
Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 4 Nights in London - Itinerary Details
- 2 3 days with a Swindon base
- 3 What to do in Lauterbrunnen with Toddler
- 4 3 days to spend in europe
- 5 Switzerland and Northern Italy
- 6 Italy for the first time
- 7 Based in Burford, how to spend our time
- 8 Toddler stroller - Yes or No for Switzerland trip?
- 9 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?
- 10 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 11 Why doesn't anyone talk about staying in the 2nd arr in Paris? Am I blind?
- 12 italy itinerary
- 13 Marseille or Cassis for Day in Port?
- 14 Need Help with Itinerary – First Time in Portugal (2 Weeks)
- 15 Budget stay in or around Heidelberg
- 16 Please suggest best itinerary
- 17 Driving from Rome to Florence?
- 18 Beaches in Southern France
- 19 Skip the line passes for Venice, Florence, Rome
- 20 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 21 French lavender and cottages
- 22 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 23 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 24 Fairy Tale Road (and Beyond) Lodging Recommendations
- 25 Itinerary and Hotel Recommendations -- Amalfi Coast