My boyfriend and I are going to Italy this summer. We only have 8 days because we have to return to work and I want to get the most out of our trip without doing too much. We dont really like museums or shopping(not a focus on that for this trip so only one day in florence) but really like to be active and outdoors and love wine... so we are focusing most of our time in the wine country.
My biggest question right now is deciding whether to go to Montepulciano or Lucca for 2 nights in the middle of our trip. I have sort of fallen in love with a certain hotel and the city of Montepulciano itself so am drawn toward that. Lucca is only a consideration to make our driving time to the Cinque Terre shorter but no instincitve draw to go there other than biking around the city and seeing Pisa.... then again I havnt been to any of these places so maybe I am way off.
We are also debating between biking from Siena to Arrezzo or Siena to Volterra/ San Gimignano for a day trip so would love suggestions on which is a better option.
Other than that, any restaurant suggestions and "must see's (please limit museum suggestions!.. but we do like architecture) in any of these places would be greatly appreciated. We are renting a car so have quite a bit of flexibility when we need it but dont want to be running around all over the place too much...
Here is the plan: Thanks for all suggestions!
Day 1: (Aug 30)
Arrive Florence 1pm
Pick up rental car, drive to Agritourismo Marciano in Siena (5 min from Siena)
- Dinner at Agritourismo, wine cellar and winery tour at Agritourismo, possible trip into Siena to pick up bikes for next day
Day 2: (Aug 31)
Early rise for bike ride to Castellina and Radda in Chianti (lunch in one of the two towns) return to Siena, evening walk around and dinner in Siena.
Day3: (Sept 1)
Option 1: Early rise for bike ride to Arrezzo walk around and dinner in Arezzo, train to Siena with bikes
Option 2: Early rise for bike ride to Volterra and/or San Gimignano (lunch and dinner in one of each) , return to Siena on train with bikes
Day 4: (Sept 2)
Morning walking around sites in Siena, Drive to Montepulciano before lunch. Check into Locanda de SanFransesco and winery tour/wine tasting. Evening walk around Montepulciano, Copper store, dinner in town.
Day 5: (Sept 3)
Dive to Pienza, walk around town and morning hike or bike ride, drive to Montalcino, dinner in Montalcino, return to Montepulciano.
Day 6: (Sept 4)
Drive to Cinque Terre, drive by Volterra / Sam Gimignano if did not do bike ride there. Check into I Limoni, Riamagorre. Afternoon hike in CT, dinner in one of the towns, hike or boat back to hotel.
Day 7: (Sept 5)
Early rise for entire hike on upper trail across CT and Portofino if have time. Train or boat back to hotel… relax!!!
Day 8: (Sept 6)
Drive to Florence Early morning, return car in Florence, Check into hotel (near Duomo downtown). Visit Florence sites all day.
Day 9: (Sept 7)
Taxi to Airport
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 2 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 3 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 4 No Periods in British Written English!
- 5 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 6 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 7 Paris cooking classes
- 8 booking hotels on trip advisor vs booking.com, etc
- 9 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 10 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 11 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 12 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 13 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 14 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 15 St Denis Cathedral
- 16 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 17 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 18 Ronda Wine/biking
- 19 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 20 3 weeks in London, Cornwall and a tiny piece of Wales
- 21 Perugia
- 22 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 23 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 24 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 25 Praiano
Italy: Siena, (Montepulciano vs. Lucca), Cinque Terre, Florence