We are finalizing our plan for ten days in Sicily, and I need some help with our last two nights. As background - We are traveling during high season, with our own car, and will have hopefully seen a lot of Greek ruins and also hopefully spent a fair amount of time at the beaches. We have three children between the ages of 6 and 10. We are interested in outdoorsy stuff and typically shy away from cities (which is why we are leaving only a few hours to wander Palermo). We need to leave Palermo on a Tuesday late in the afternoon and will wrap up in Agrigento on Sunday morning/ early in the day.
Someone suggested we spend our last two nights in the Trapani / Castellmmare del Golfo area, as there are neat things to see (more ruins and beaches - but of a different variety, and interesting landscape) and it might be cooler by the coast. There are way too many options for me to consider, but I am leaning towards a town between Palermo and Trapani, so we can do a day trip on Monday around the coast and then on Tuesday we are not rushing to get into Palermo. At the same time I am considering b and b's off the beaten path that offer a pool because it is likely to be very hot, and maybe our best course of action is sitting by a pool during the day and venturing out to see a few local sites in the early morning / evening on that Monday. It really is not a lot of time because we may decide to take our time driving north/ west from Agrigento, spending all day Sunday slowly making our way... and then to leave early enough in the day on Tuesday to be at the port by 4pm, we really only have Monday.
The start of our trip has us driving east from Palermo to Messina (via Cefalu) which is why I was leaning towards staying to the West of Palermo on our last two nights.
I think the number one things is that the area be family friendly (I know most of Italy is - but it is still hard to find accommodations for a family of five).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Restaurant recs for French food in Montreux and surrounding area
- 2 Driving through Paris
- 3 Spanish Medical Providers
- 4 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 5 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 8 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 9 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 10 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 11 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 12 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 13 Zurich to Milan trip
- 14 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 15 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 16 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 17 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 18 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 19 San Sebastián
- 20 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 21 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 22 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 23 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 24 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 25 Destination ideas for 88 year old